Transmission Issue

Belle

My 2002 SC430 sometines acts like the brake is on when I put it in Drive. It backs up fine in Reverse and coasts freely in Neutral, but when I put in Drive(regular) it feels like the parking brake is on. The brake is not on and the regular brakes are not stuck. If I step on the gas, it goes, but seems to have considerable resistance until it gets rolling , then it runs fine. this only happens occasionally. Is there a brake on the transmission ? When it acts like this it doesn't make any noises, so I don't have a clue what is causing this situation

Has anyone had this happen? What is the cause and how do I fix it ??

Thanks,

Belle

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like a torque converter issue. Your stator may be starting to seize up. That's gonna kill your gas mileage, and make the car feel real heavy at take offs. I would take it to Cottman transmissions. ( they are one of the few chain places that I know of that actually opens up trannys and torque converters and makes repairs as opposed to just replacing everything. But if you know of another place, then by all means.

Sounds like a torque converter issue. Your stator may be starting to seize up. That's gonna kill your gas mileage, and make the car feel real heavy at take offs. I would take it to Cottman transmissions. ( they are one of the few chain places that I know of that actually opens up trannys and torque converters and makes repairs as opposed to just replacing everything. But if you know of another place, then by all means.

• 3 weeks later...

When you get your tranny serviced insist on Mobil 1 tranny fluid only. This will offer much better shifting, oxidization and thermal stability, hot and cold weather peformance. It costs a little more but won't burn like regular mineral fluid.

Mobil 1 is a POA synthetic (vs mineral modified and called synthetic) and will make a difference.