Programming New Tpms Sensors

Hi,

I just bought a set of winter tires and wheels including new TPMS sensors. My plans was to have a set of wheels for winter and a set for summer that I can simply swap at home, without fuss. Unfortunately, things didn't go as planned. The TMPS warning system kicked in and from what I can determine from reading previous posts and browsing through the manual, the new sensors need to be programmed into the ECU. The manuals says that this must be done at the dealership. Does anyone know how to program in the sensors codes without going to the dealership? I do not want to use the old sensors because I would have to deflate the other set of tires to remove the sensors and then take my car to a tire store to have the old sensors installed, which defeats the purpose of having a second set of wheels in the first place. I've already tried initializing the TPMS system using the satellite switch and that didn't work. Also, the computer is set us to store two sets of sensors for this very purpose. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

• 6 months later...
Hi,

I just bought a set of winter tires and wheels including new TPMS sensors. My plans was to have a set of wheels for winter and a set for summer that I can simply swap at home, without fuss. Unfortunately, things didn't go as planned. The TMPS warning system kicked in and from what I can determine from reading previous posts and browsing through the manual, the new sensors need to be programmed into the ECU. The manuals says that this must be done at the dealership. Does anyone know how to program in the sensors codes without going to the dealership? I do not want to use the old sensors because I would have to deflate the other set of tires to remove the sensors and then take my car to a tire store to have the old sensors installed, which defeats the purpose of having a second set of wheels in the first place. I've already tried initializing the TPMS system using the satellite switch and that didn't work. Also, the computer is set us to store two sets of sensors for this very purpose. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Ethan-n Seattle,

Did you ever solve the TPMS problem described?

I got a set of Snow Tires and new Wheels with the SC430 Sensors installed from the local 'Tire Shop' [i.e. not the Lexus Dealer where I had bought the 2003 car [with summer RTF Tires] a couple months before]. The 'Tire Shop' stated that they can set all cars' TPMS sensors with the electronic tool they have - but not Lexus! The Lexus Dealer is the only one who can do the job!

I went to the Lexus dealer to get the set-up - and he asks me for the Serial Numbers for the 4 Sensors. I did not have the numbers and the 'Tire Shop' did not either ! The 'Tire Shop' is back tracking to see if he can shakeout the numbers! The Lexus Dealer states that he can break open the tires/wheels and read off the Serial Nos.! I asked the Dealer if I get the numbers, how much of a job to set-up the TPMS. He told me 3 hours ! Is this serious ? This should be a simple 30 minute job at most! Why is Lexus perpretrating this complexity - it annoys the customer - surely? !

Did you resolve your situation ? If so, HOW?

Cheers!

Coupe.

Hi,

Ethan-n Seattle,

Did you ever solve the TPMS problem described?

I got a set of Snow Tires and new Wheels with the SC430 Sensors installed from the local 'Tire Shop' [i.e. not the Lexus Dealer where I had bought the 2003 car [with summer RTF Tires] a couple months before]. The 'Tire Shop' stated that they can set all cars' TPMS sensors with the electronic tool they have - but not Lexus! The Lexus Dealer is the only one who can do the job!

I went to the Lexus dealer to get the set-up - and he asks me for the Serial Numbers for the 4 Sensors. I did not have the numbers and the 'Tire Shop' did not either ! The 'Tire Shop' is back tracking to see if he can shakeout the numbers! The Lexus Dealer states that he can break open the tires/wheels and read off the Serial Nos.! I asked the Dealer if I get the numbers, how much of a job to set-up the TPMS. He told me 3 hours ! Is this serious ? This should be a simple 30 minute job at most! Why is Lexus perpretrating this complexity - it annoys the customer - surely? !

Did you resolve your situation ? If so, HOW?

Cheers!

Coupe.

Kind of an old thread but anyway........ You have to go to the dealer to have the new sensor ID's programmed into the vehcile's ECU. The IDs are printed on the TPM sensors. If you don't have them written down already, then the dealer will have to break the bead on the tire and make a note of the ID's before programming them into the ECU.

The good news it that you can have this done at a Toyota dealer and not just a Lexus dealer. This will save some $$$$

Regards,

• 1 month later...

I know this is old, but the dealer does not need to break the bead or dismount the tire. they have a tpms scanning tool which will get the sensor serial number needed. only a lexus/toyota tech can do it. u need the toyota tech labtop to access the ob11 and cars computer. its a 10min process but 2 hours of labor. I had a friend do it for 50 bucks since he is a toyota tech. lexus wanted 160. people are paying average 100-160