Removing Ps Pump

Skorpio69

I have a '93 Lexus LS 400 with a messed up ps pump... I bought a used one so I dont need to go through the rebuilding tutorial. Can anyone tell me what I need to do to take mine off.. It would be more helpful if someone has a tutorial with pictures on how to remove the ps pump.. Please help!!

I have a '93 Lexus LS 400 with a messed up ps pump... I bought a used one so I dont need to go through the rebuilding tutorial. Can anyone tell me what I need to do to take mine off.. It would be more helpful if someone has a tutorial with pictures on how to remove the ps pump.. Please help!!

It's easier to work from the bottom. Remove the alternator first and then the PS pump.

i watched an engineer removing ps pump ('90 ls400), he didnt work from the bottom, he simply removed the drive belt and had full access to it, no need to remove the alternator. not sure if this is the recommended way, but it surely works

i watched an engineer removing ps pump ('90 ls400), he didnt work from the bottom, he simply removed the drive belt and had full access to it, no need to remove the alternator. not sure if this is the recommended way, but it surely works

The Lexus shop/repair manual, indeed, indicates one should work from the top, removing the drive belt and then the PS pulley.

Having approached this both ways I have found that reaching the PS mounting bolts and hose connections from the bottom makes it MUCH easier. Plus, how can you be sure the used PS pump doesn't have the same leakage point that is common to this LS series?

And if you remove the alternator you will be able to easily check the slip ring and slip ring brushes at the same time. At ~100,071 miles my '92 LS400 had the slip rings themselves worn down to the alternator shaft.