2003 Rx300 Hid Bulb Burned Out

borisRx300

Hello everyone, new user to the forum, purchased '03 RX300 recently and the passenger bulb burned out - it has the HID lights. Has anyone replaced these before - any instructions on how to replace these? The dealer wants $330 for the bulb - and I can't find anything online that would fit this application - all I get is the regular light bulbs with "xenon" gas, not the HID. Whats a decent price to pay? I saw on the forum a post for an entire assembly with the bulb for under $300. Any help is really appreciated. I believe Denzo makes these and i'm sure they sell them outside the dealer.

Hello everyone, new user to the forum, purchased '03 RX300 recently and the passenger bulb burned out - it has the HID lights. Has anyone replaced these before - any instructions on how to replace these? The dealer wants $330 for the bulb - and I can't find anything online that would fit this application - all I get is the regular light bulbs with "xenon" gas, not the HID. Whats a decent price to pay? I saw on the forum a post for an entire assembly with the bulb for under $300. Any help is really appreciated. I believe Denzo makes these and i'm sure they sell them outside the dealer.

You can buy the exactly correct HID lamps for your RX on Ebay, and probably in normal channnels also, typically 2 for <$150.

But you may not have a lamps failure, it may be the ballast. It takes ~20,000 volts to "fire" the initial HIGH INTENSITY DISCHARGE arc, and then only ~70 volts to maintian it, that takes a fairly complete solid state ballast which is mounted within the headlight assembly itself.

Thank you :cheers:

Is the bulb then the same as replacing a regular halogen bulb?

is there a way for me to find out if its the ballast or the bulb, and do the ballasts come aftermarket? do you know if the dealer part includes both bulb and ballast or is the ballast a separate part.

Thanks.

Thank you :cheers:

Is the bulb then the same as replacing a regular halogen bulb?

is there a way for me to find out if its the ballast or the bulb, and do the ballasts come aftermarket? do you know if the dealer part includes both bulb and ballast or is the ballast a separate part.

Thanks.

The HID lamp has a completely different base configuration but changing it out is almost as easy as a halogen. I would swap lamps L-R to see if the problem is the lamp or ballast. The ballast cannot be accessed absent removal of the headlight assembly and that is a real BEAR.