3rd Generation (i Think) Roof Racks?

thinksnow

Okay, so I just inherited a 1996 LS400 from my dad with 200k miles. She looks brand new inside and out because she was garaged both at work and at home. Much to the amazement of my neighbors, she replaces a 1988 Honda Accord. I have a big problem, though. I have contacted Yakima, Thule, and Saris. All three say they stopped making roof rack clips in 1994 for this model. The local dealership thought I had three heads when I asked them about this.

Has anyone had any success getting something on the roof of this model? I can get a hitch-mounted bike and ski holder, but I cannot put kayaks on the rear!

Many thanks, and I will consider a finders fee:) I don't want to be forced to keep my former best friend just to haul toys around. The Accord needs to make someone else in Richmond happy.

Okay, so I just inherited a 1996 LS400 from my dad with 200k miles. She looks brand new inside and out because she was garaged both at work and at home. Much to the amazement of my neighbors, she replaces a 1988 Honda Accord. I have a big problem, though. I have contacted Yakima, Thule, and Saris. All three say they stopped making roof rack clips in 1994 for this model. The local dealership thought I had three heads when I asked them about this.

Has anyone had any success getting something on the roof of this model? I can get a hitch-mounted bike and ski holder, but I cannot put kayaks on the rear!

Many thanks, and I will consider a finders fee:) I don't want to be forced to keep my former best friend just to haul toys around. The Accord needs to make someone else in Richmond happy.

Hmm, come to think of it, I've never seen a roof rack on a Lexus before. Possibly on one of the SUV's, but never a car. I'll keep my eyes open though.

I suspect that the manufacturers simply dropped the LS400 out of their fitment guides but still have racks that fit. Perhaps a roof rack designed for the LS430 would work. Here's what I found on http://www.rackattack.com/ when I looked for a Yakama rack for an 01 LS430:

System Price: $269.10 - Locks Included

Maximum Weight 125 lbs.

Bar Spread 31 inches

This system includes:

Yakima Q-Towers - $124.20

Yakima Q75 Clip - $27.00

Yakima Q75 Clip - $27.00

Yakima 58 inch Cross Bars - $51.30

Yakima 4 Pack SKS cores - $39.60

Do you have a local rack dealer you can visit so you can try out the Q75 clips? Be aware that using clips may compress and damage the door seals. I still have a Yakama roof rack in the basement that I bought in 1985 for a Honda. The towers and clips seemed to fit the LS400 I bought in 1990 but I never used the rack on the LS since the cross bars weren't long enough.

Lexus Europe sold roof racks and a variety of accessories to carry bikes, kayaks, and storage boxes for the LS400 and LS430 throughout their 17 years in production. If you can't find a rack here, I'll bet you can get one from a U.K. dealer. But with the U.S. dollar in the toilet, getting one this way would likely be very expensive.

Hmm, come to think of it, I've never seen a roof rack on a Lexus before. Possibly on one of the SUV's, but never a car. I'll keep my eyes open though.

A neighbor had a 91 or 92 LS with surf racks--he was a longboard rider.

1990 LS400--that is very very interesting info. Funny that they would start making clips for the 430. Lexus Europe is a great idea and not something I would have considered. Why does Europe get all the good stuff (diesels, manual trannys in most cars, now rack systems...)?

Glad I wrote the board!