Help With Emissions

fdorval

Hi all,

I hope there is somebody out there that can help with me problem. I took my 1993 ES300 in to get it inspected today. They said it failed the emissions test. It Passed the HC at 19 PPM at 2500 rpms. The CO2 passed at 0.13. But when the car is idling it fails both HO and CO2. Idling at 700rpms the HC reading it 425 with a limit of 220. Idling at 700 rpms the CO2 reading is 2.09 with a limit of 1.20.

The reading all pass when the car is at 2500 rpms. So it has something to do with the sensing when the car id idling.

I do not get any reading with the trouble shooting computer. So there is no error code.

Any ideas guys?

I can not get the car inspected with out it passing so my son is walking until we can figure this out.

My email is fdorval1@aol.com.

Thanks

Frank

I do not have my advanced engine diagnosis smarts yet. Here is an exerpt and link to a website that can help.

Failed both CO and HC!

If the HC is very high and the CO is close, you probably have an ignition/compression related problem. If the CO is very high and the HC is close, than you may only have a timing/mixture problem. Use the above procedures accordingly and you should be able to resolve your emissions failure blues. Next time, we will talk about all that infamous junk they put on our cars to control the emissions. I will explain the purpose of these devices that you can better troubleshoot your cars and also to help you decide which equipment is worth maintaining or discarding when searching for more performance. One thing to keep in mind is that much of this equipment is put on our cars because we don't maintain them

http://www.type2.com/library/exhaust/comix.htm