How To Dismount The Automatic Shift Knob?, Help.

troner

It may seem stupid but I need to know how to dismount the automatic shift knob. It has a plastic cover after the leather, I can see a screw but I can not remove this plastic cover. Please you help hopefully with pics.

Thanks in advance.

don't know if this helps, i own a ls430 but...

in my car, the whole knob (leather and trim) is spin on/spin off type. just like removing a screw out of wood, keep spinning to the left (counter-clockwise) until it spins off. might take a little extra muscle to get it moving but once you start it, it should be easy.

took me a while to get up the nerve, but i noticed in some used car dealers pics that they took the knob off and you can see the threads on the shaft. i guess it's a theft deterrent thing for the dealers.

adios,

It may seem stupid but I need to know how to dismount the automatic shift knob. It has a plastic cover after the leather, I can see a screw but I can not remove this plastic cover. Please you help hopefully with pics.

Thanks in advance.

To remove the shift knob do this: 1) Set parking brake 2) Insert the key into the ignition and turn to on but do not start 3) step on brake and move shifter to a straight-up position (neutral or drive) 4) push the plastic cover below the shift knob down until the two screws holding the shift knob are exposed 5) remove the two screws with a phillips screwdriver 6) pull up on the shift knob to remove. Sorry, no pix.