Key (only One Key) Locked In Car

yidaitianjiaous

Key locked in car. I opened trunk lid and front lid, then threw key on seat and close the door. Door locked by itself. can't get key now. I thought somebody said there is a way to open it from somewhere in the trunk. ANYBODY help, plz? wait on line. thxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx!!!

it's 92 LS 400. THXXXXXXXXXXXX!!

In theory, it might be possible to unlock the doors from the trunk since the wireless ECU is behind the drivers side trim in the trunk.

But in reality, you might as well call a locksmith or a Lexus dealer. Or, if the windshield hasn't been replaced in a long time and is in bad shape - well, do you have a hammer? Windshields are pretty cheap and you may need a new one anyway if it is worn and pitted. If you choose to break it be very careful not to cut yourself -- and of course you will have lots to (carefully) clean up with a shop vac.

In theory, it might be possible to unlock the doors from the trunk since the wireless ECU is behind the drivers side trim in the trunk.

But in reality, you might as well call a locksmith or a Lexus dealer. Or, if the windshield hasn't been replaced in a long time and is in bad shape - well, do you have a hammer? Windshields are pretty cheap and you may need a new one anyway if it is worn and pitted. If you choose to break it be very careful not to cut yourself -- and of course you will have lots to (carefully) clean up with a shop vac.

good suggestion!! :cries: :lol: If i don;t have it fixed, i will suely do that.

I called a locksmith. the guy didn;t ask me what car i have nor what year but just send me a iguy. the guy said service chage $35, labor 115. I said forget it. the guy asked me for $35 service. I said you did nothing adn i would not pay you $35 for nothing...

Then i called another guy, he said $50. OK! 2 mins done!! what the difference!!

By the way, i will duplicate a key tomorrow for $25, just a key without remote, good for me anyway and better for hundreds dollars from the dealer....

Edited by SW03ES

a good leson from this incident, always have a backup key safe somewhere you have access easily.

My first mod for my car is to copy the key (try it on my car to make sure it can open the door) and then safely keep it in my house. by this way, i can be sure that i will always have an option if i lost or locked the key inside

a good leson from this incident, always have a backup key safe somewhere you have access easily.

My first mod for my car is to copy the key (try it on my car to make sure it can open the door) and then safely keep it in my house. by this way, i can be sure that i will always have an option if i lost or locked the key inside

Those magnetic key hiders are worth the buck you spend on them. Also AAA has a lockout service and they guys are pretty good. A front windshield is about the cheapest glass on these cars but is way more expensive than the local tow truck driver lockout service.

I know it is kind of thick, but I always carry my Lexus credit card size wallet key card in my billfold.

It can not be used to start the car but it will open the doors. You just pop the metal key out of the plastic card and push it back into the card when you are done using it.

The key card even has the key code on it which could make it easy to get a replacement key if you need another one in the future.

If you do not have one of these, ask about getting one when you get a replacement key.

I know it is kind of thick, but I always carry my Lexus credit card size wallet key card in my billfold.

It can not be used to start the car but it will open the doors. You just pop the metal key out of the plastic card and push it back into the card when you are done using it.

The key card even has the key code on it which could make it easy to get a replacement key if you need another one in the future.

If you do not have one of these, ask about getting one when you get a replacement key.

thank you all guys for ur input.... really appreaciate it!!

• 1 month later...

Do you from where I can get the replacment key and the card key you mentioned in the SF bay area?

Thanks.

Do you from where I can get the replacment key and the card key you mentioned in the SF bay area?

Thanks.

jhussain, you still don't have an extra key? You asked a similar question in July 2006! :whistles:

I don't know about the SF area (other than I froze my butt off at sea lion pier in July a few years ago), but you can buy keys at a modest discount from Sewell Lexus for your 91 LS: http://www.lexus-parts.com/parts.asp?id=1288&pid=1287

Sewell has provided excellent service in the past and the parts usually arrive within 2 - 3 days.

This happened to me a while ago and what I did was use a flat head screw driver and try to open up the passanger side glass window from the frame enough that I could get a metal hanger and stretch it out to where the lock/unlock switich is and try to open it...you will have to try a couple of times and the alarm WILL go off but just continue as you were. As you try to flip the switch to the unlock position - pull the handle bar out with your hand and DO NOT release it ...everytime the alarm stops flip the switch again and continue pulling the handle until it will finally open. Note: you have to keep pulling on the handle because when you flip the switch you will only have about a second before the alarm goes off and the switch goes back to the lock position...that's why you have to try a couple of times.

or for someone to steal your car once, they run a few tidbits of info from your wallet

Dealerships dont ask for IDs when people want keys made by VIN code. No proof is needed at 98% of places.

I reccomend duct taping a key under your caround something. The magnetic holders are able to fall off.

securely taping it, is the only to do it inconspicuously.

good suggestion!! :cries: :lol: If i don;t have it fixed, i will suely do that.

I called a locksmith. the guy didn;t ask me what car i have nor what year but just send me a iguy. the guy said service chage $35, labor 115. I said forget it. the guy asked me for $35 service. I said you did nothing adn i would not pay you $35 for nothing...

Then i called another guy, he said $50. OK! 2 mins done!! what the difference!!

By the way, i will duplicate a key tomorrow for $25, just a key without remote, good for me anyway and better for hundreds dollars from the dealer....

By the way If you have Triple A road service, they do it for free. Yea I know the membership is annual....