Transmission Shifting And Rpm's

Hi everyone! I am a new technician at a Lexus dealership. I just got rear-ended in my Lumina and inherited a cheap 1994 ES300. I love this car! I knew that a shift solenoid code had came up before, and now the shift solenoid code is back. I now start off in (I think) third gear and it will go into fourth (overdrive) The only way for first is to manually shift into low. Sometimes it will shift properly, but rarely does it do that. I do not believe that cluthces are any bit of a problem, because when it does shift into lower gears, it runs great, no slippage or noise. I did a drain & fill hoping to ease the tranny into new fluid as not to srping leaks with the old seals and o-rings in the trans. I called TIS and they said the tranny's have a problem with excessive particulate matter blocking solenoid operation at times. I ordered some solenoids for cheap, also came with a TCC solenoid! I just flushed it yesterday when I saw the history and the tranny was replaced in 1996 at 30K, also had it's 60K and 90K service done. It now has 120K, so the flushes are on the mark. Also had 75K for timing belt.

But beofre it did this, and still now, the engine is doing 2,200 RPM's at 55 MPH and 3,000 at 75 MPH. Does that sound right? I can't tell if the TCC is kicking in, I haven't looked up the operation, I figure it is pulse-width mdulated in which case you wouldn't feel a properly working one.

So anyone have these similar problems? Hard for a dealer to diagnose, tranny problems=replacement. I heard that the shop used to replace solenoids at some time long ago, but then the tranny would be even worse, now there is absolutely NO internal work done. Besides, the ECU probably only knows that it gave the Power for the solenoid to go "on" and the result of a gear didn't happen, so maybe it THINKS it is a solenoid when really a valve is just stuck with gunk??? IDK! But I do not llike the fact that the trans has no filter! Only a pick-up screen! So I am also going to install an in-line filter.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I read your post regarding the tranny problems and was wondering if you have any information on the solenoids? I believe I have a faulty solenoid that wont allow me to shift out of first until 5500rpm and sometimes I just have to derev it for it to shift. you can email me at srvcm@yahoo.com with details if you dont mind.

BUMP! This is the only bump huys! If no one answers, I won't do it again! Promise! Just wanted to give it a chance!

I do not know about the shifting problem but the rpm at 75 mph sounds about right. I have a 98 ES300 and I cruise between 70 and 80 all the time and my rpm's runs 2800 at 75 and 3000 at 80 and 32 to 3300 at 85. 55 mph is about 2000 rpm. Every car is different and performs different and doesn't mean that anything is wrong with it. I am not saying that you might not have a problem. This is only my thought

Glad you enjoy your new ride. I love mine when I bought it 3 yrs. ago with 65000. now have 145000 and still running great.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, I read your post regarding the tranny problems and was wondering if you have any information on the solenoids? I believe I have a faulty solenoid that wont allow me to shift out of first until 5500rpm and sometimes I just have to derev it for it to shift. you can email me at srvcm@yahoo.com with details if you dont mind.

Well, I fugured the problem out. The solenoids require 12V to operate which it turned out the battery and alternator were intermittant which resulted in the transmission working erraticly. When I corrected the battery issue the prblem went away. It shifts perfectly now.

Anyone with similar problems might want to check this out to see if that is the case.