Alternator Removal

mrberl

Hello everybody

Today I tried replacing the alternator with no luck. I removed all 3 bols (pivot bolt + 2 long bolts) and the alternator is moving up and down but it doesn't come out. It seems like there's something holding it, but all the bolts are out. Does it have to be hit really hard for it to come off its position ?

Please help...

Thanx in advance!

-Mrberl

Thanks for the reply. Just wanted to clarify a few things - is it basically just "stuck" there in the big bracket ? Also, how shoud I go about putting the new one in? Do i also have to "hammer" it lightly into the bracket ?

Please let me know....

Thanks!

I took it out of the bracket, darn, just did this this year, but It did stick in the lower bolt....Funny went back in easily...Same alternator, as I did a rebuild, new brushes, bearings, and cleaned the commutator....

Does anybody know if I can use a 100 AMP alternator (99 RXs that were manufactured after 7/98) in my 3/98 RX which comes originally with a 120 AMP alternator ? Does it really matter ?

Any input is appreciated...

Does anybody know if I can use a 100 AMP alternator (99 RXs that were manufactured after 7/98) in my 3/98 RX which comes originally with a 120 AMP alternator ? Does it really matter ?

I don't know if the 99 alternator is dimensionally identical and attaches in the same manner as a 98 but I will go in the defense of Toyota/Lexus in their choice of alternators. They chose a 120 amp alternator for a reason. Going with an alternator with reduced capacity MAY mean that under really high loads, your demand for excess power comes off of the battery. If that happens, then you get reduced battery life. Those conditions MIGHT happen on the proverbial dark and stormy night when you are running headlights, wipers, fan, a/c, etc.

In the classic car world, some of our cars came with 35-45 amp alternators because we have so few power accessories. As guys and gals mod their cars with aftermarket stereos, a/c and such, the demand on their alternators is too much and they buy alternators with increased output.

If I were in your shoes I would rebuild your existing alternator or buy one of the proper amperage.

Just my thoughts.

Gary

Thanks for your input. That's exactly what I've thought.

-mrberl

I don't know if the 99 alternator is dimensionally identical and attaches in the same manner as a 98 but I will go in the defense of Toyota/Lexus in their choice of alternators. They chose a 120 amp alternator for a reason. Going with an alternator with reduced capacity MAY mean that under really high loads, your demand for excess power comes off of the battery. If that happens, then you get reduced battery life. Those conditions MIGHT happen on the proverbial dark and stormy night when you are running headlights, wipers, fan, a/c, etc.

In the classic car world, some of our cars came with 35-45 amp alternators because we have so few power accessories. As guys and gals mod their cars with aftermarket stereos, a/c and such, the demand on their alternators is too much and they buy alternators with increased output.

If I were in your shoes I would rebuild your existing alternator or buy one of the proper amperage.

Just my thoughts.

Gary

I ordered all of the rebuild parts from Park Place Lexus in Plano Texas, The bearings, brushes, and rebuilt mine... Works great, last a long time and wont rot your teeth.....

• 5 months later...

Hello:

I am facing exactly the same problem. I have taken out all the three bolts of the alternator. The alternator now swings about the pivot point but the darn thing will NOT COME OUT!. What did you finally do to get it loose?

Thanks much

rmittal

Hello everybody

Today I tried replacing the alternator with no luck. I removed all 3 bols (pivot bolt + 2 long bolts) and the alternator is moving up and down but it doesn't come out. It seems like there's something holding it, but all the bolts are out. Does it have to be hit really hard for it to come off its position ?

Please help...

Thanx in advance!

-Mrberl

I ordered all of the rebuild parts from Park Place Lexus in Plano Texas, The bearings, brushes, and rebuilt mine... Works great, last a long time and wont rot your teeth.....

Hi Lenore- I like your sense of humor :D - and also agree with you on rebuilding your own unless you have a known bad field or stator. The rebuilts in my experience are too much of a crapshoot. My brother got 3 bad ones (right out of the box!) for his son's car before he got a good one. I once bought one for my son's Camaro (years ago) and decided to pull the bolts and look inside before I installed it, because of past experience. They had twisted one of the field wires right off (with an impact), and stuck it in the box and shipped it. I have many other stories but you get the idea why I don't care for rebuilts.- Roger

Hello:

I am facing exactly the same problem. I have taken out all the three bolts of the alternator. The alternator now swings about the pivot point but the darn thing will NOT COME OUT!. What did you finally do to get it loose?

Thanks much

rmittal

Hello everybody

Please help...

Thanx in advance!

-Mrberl[/quote

Do what Lenore said. 2' screwdriver will have that thing out faster than you can blink. When you reinstall, wipe a trace of grease on the 2 end contact surfaces of the pivot. That thing sure does fit snug doesn't it? :D -Roger