92 Es Right Side Axle Install Issue

chainz

Hey all,

New to the forum, but not new to turning wrenchs.

Replacing the cv boot on a friends 92 es. Everything was going fine, til I went to put the axle back into the hub, strut tower as the whole assembly is sitting too low. Putting a jack under it, and trying to compress it is useless, as it just raises the whole car.

The car sat overnight with the assembly disconnected from the lower control arm, and just hanging. Do I need to put a strut compressor in there and try to squeeze it enough to get the axle in, or is this a sign of another problem. The struts are pretty well blasted, but she says that's for another day. (Meaning, no money)

I have the whole assembly, minus the axle, sitting "mostly" back down on its own weight. I don't wanna damage the hub, not having the axle in, with all the weight on it. Hoping this will compress the assembly enough to get the axle back in.

Suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanx, Chainz

Hmmm... I don't remember ever having to compressing the strut to put an axle back into the hub, it would be impossible by hand because the spring extends the strut as far as possible anyways. I do struts on lifts so they are kind of easier at eye-level. I just take the knuckle side ways and pretty much use brute force to get the shaft in the hib, then reconnect the ball joint and it is good. Guess I would have to see a picture.

Hmmm... I don't remember ever having to compressing the strut to put an axle back into the hub, it would be impossible by hand because the spring extends the strut as far as possible anyways. I do struts on lifts so they are kind of easier at eye-level. I just take the knuckle side ways and pretty much use brute force to get the shaft in the hib, then reconnect the ball joint and it is good. Guess I would have to see a picture.

med_gallery_55107_400_348963.jpg

Okay. Where is the knuckle? I always disconnect by lower ball joint & tie rod end and move the knuckle out of the way when doind CV axle work. That also makes it so you don't have to get an alignment.

It doesn't look too low, the axle will hang lower as well as all the compnents when the vehicle is jacked up.

BTW, what is making the axle stick straight out? It should hang low as well. It looks like the inner joint is stuck or something.

Okay. Where is the knuckle? I always disconnect by lower ball joint & tie rod end and move the knuckle out of the way when doind CV axle work. That also makes it so you don't have to get an alignment.

It doesn't look too low, the axle will hang lower as well as all the compnents when the vehicle is jacked up.

BTW, what is making the axle stick straight out? It should hang low as well. It looks like the inner joint is stuck or something.

When I put the *BLEEP* back together, I guess I didn't get it lined up right with the outter housing. It was basically jammed solid, and holding straight. Looking at the way it mounted up to the center axle, it didn't look like it should flex, but then thinking about it, duh, theres a freakin boot on it, with 6 bearings riding in grooves, I realized I put the *BLEEP* together wrong. Send me back to the minors.

I had the knuckle off, trying to see if I could get the axle on, attatched to the hub, and then work it into the strut mount. Then I figured since I had it off, it was a good time for the "dumbass" picture.

Gonna try to install it in the morning. Going to temporarily die now. Thanx for the response though. ;)

med_gallery_55107_400_332873.jpg

When I put the *BLEEP* back together, I guess I didn't get it lined up right with the outter housing. It was basically jammed solid, and holding straight. Looking at the way it mounted up to the center axle, it didn't look like it should flex, but then thinking about it, duh, theres a freakin boot on it, with 6 bearings riding in grooves, I realized I put the *BLEEP* together wrong. Send me back to the minors.

I had the knuckle off, trying to see if I could get the axle on, attatched to the hub, and then work it into the strut mount. Then I figured since I had it off, it was a good time for the "dumbass" picture.

Thats too funny. I just realized that I wrote $hit twice, and it got "Bleep'd"

:chairshot: :rolleyes: