New Owner - First Time Poster

jongin

Well, I have been a lurker here for a couple of months. I must say that you all are very knowledgeable and friendly and you helped me decide on what car to buy.

I was looking for a safe, dependable, classy car to drive. I have owned all the German cars including Porsche, Swedish, and some Japanese but never a Lexus.

After reading and doing some research I decided on a 2003 LS. When I went out to the dealership I decided that I liked the 04's better.

So tonight I brought home a 2004 LS 430 Sport in Flint Mica with 43000 miles on it. It is a CPO and I am really impressed with it.

I will post pictures in a few days after I have had time to read through the massive manual and learn how to work all the bells and whistles. Thanks again for all of your advice.

Ok, so I have had it for 3 days now and have some first driving impressions.

first of all, holy crap does this car pull hard! I have had 5 series bimmer and a Porsche 911 and the LS pulls better than the bimmer and only a tad slower than the 911 to 60 mph. The handling is excellent with limited body roll through the turns but then again, who the heck would track this thing?

The noise level is amazing. My wife is amazed at how quiet the car is. When pushing the engine, it has just the right amount of growl for me.

The interior is amazing. I am impressed with the quallity of the materials and the workmanship. The materials are better than the Benz and Bimmer and the workmanship is world class. Of course, you all knew that. One minor gripe I do have is that I wish that I could get more than 6 presets on FM1 setting. Oh well, other than that, the seats, the climate and the comfort are awesome.

One other thing we are amazed by are the headlights. My wife kept asking me if the high beams were on (they were not). And the driver's gauges are freaking bright!!

This car is awesome. We have 2 infant seats in the back seat and were still able to have Grandma sit in the middle. The power, the noise and the fun to drive factor are super. And of course, it is a Lexus.

I was just like you a few years back. I have had all the cars mentioned, Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, Saab, etc and Lexus is by far the best car I have owned. It is not the most stylish of the cars but holds its own. The build quality is far superior to all the luxury cars I have owned. Unless something changes I will be a Lexus owner for life. Congrats on your new purchase.

The mileage on the Bimmer was high teens, mostly highway driving. The Porsche mileage was in the mid teens, which actually wasn't bad considering how I drove it. It was primarily a nice weather car as it was a cab (by the way, I see now the fallacy in that logic: cars are meant to be driven, no matter what the weather) but when I drove it, I liked to hear the engine and feel the pull.

jongin

I love 911's and Lexus.. We had a 1982 911 SC, great car.. parts lke brakes and suspension are soo cheap, but electrical/ignition parts are expensive!! but there are so many aftermarket for the old 911 it's expensive to buy, but very cheap to own.. All other porsche's other than the 911 are junk..Cheap to buy and expensive to own.. Look up parts costs for like the 944, out of this world!! The 944s', the 928's, I don't know why porsche even made these cars, the 911 is awesome.. My older 911 was very reliable because it was sooo simple.. Haven't had much exp with newer ones, my brother has 1998 911 C2S, that is an awesome car, with the factory turbo wide body..

Anyways, love the lexus... The electrical system is the true quality of this car and you are no fun with your 03.. I mean we like fixing stuff and with a new one like that nothing is worn out.. With my 1991 I've worked on it for the common issues with the car and it is so logical and easy to work on and no weird problems, something is broken, it is logical to fix and no gremlins like most cars...

Lexus and 911, that is a nice combination!

Not to go too offtopic here Fisher but the 99 to 2002 911 has some problems with the rear main seal. I know because mine went and I got a replacement engine. It happens to too many of them. The tranny and the block were cast in 2 different factories so they sometimes don't mate up perfectly, causing the rms to leak, causing engine failure. Its a problem Porsche knows about.

The 944 was a beautiful car, the 928 was a nice attempt at a GT and the 924, well, it was a volkswagen. When I was looking for another Porsche, I was looking for 97 to 98 - the best bodies and engines.

I like the new Cayman but will wait a couple of years until they come WAY down in price. For now, I really enjoy driving to work each day in the Lexus.

Yeah Jonqin,

It's reasons like that we stick with air cooled engine's wth the 911.. So much simpler and I believe the air cooled engines' hold their value much better..A 1998 C2S is the same price used as a year or 2 old liquid color 911 we found when my brother was looking at them.... Hmm, didn't know about those seals...

I sometimes think about getting a car that handles better but the lexus is so damn reliable, in this world when you have a reliable car you don't change it out because there are too many lemons out there cuz cars are too complicated nowadays... Kind of like the San Diego chargers, they should have kept the same coaching staff, change isn't going to fix some thins.. LOl

People laugh when I tell them the primary reason I bought the Lexus was twofold:

1. It can fit 2 infant seats in the back with a person also.

2. It was ranked by consumer reports as a top car to buy if you wanted to get 200000 miles out of it.

I went through the period of buying cars because of my vanity and I paid for it. lol. My Lex is so understated with the color and styling that most don't even give it a second look, which is fine with me.

I however, look back a second and a third time as I am walking away.

The 98 C2 is is only eclipsed bu one model and its not the turbo - the 98 C4s. I love that car, in white or black. Holy crap that's a fun car to drive. And those engines are practically bulletproof. Plus the "broken egg" headlights of the 99 to 03 are ugly. I hated those on mine.