Ignition Switch Failure

Freddy

This is my first post. So, if this is an old topic, please steer me towards what has already been covered on this topic. Inexplicably, the die cast zinc link that connects the ignition key lock to the ignition electrical switch in our 2001 LX470 broke. The dealer says that this part is not available as a separate item. He says we have to buy a new "ignition column" at rather high cost. I can use a long flat blade screwdriver to reach down to the electrical switch and turn the car on (with the key lock removed) but there is a requirement to hold a pin back to keep the steering wheel from locking (quite dangerous to drive). Does anyone know where I could get a replacement zinc link? Or are there any other ideas on what to do? My assessment of the problem is that the ignition key should have failed before the zinc link did, but Lexus does not see it that way. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
This is my first post. So, if this is an old topic, please steer me towards what has already been covered on this topic. Inexplicably, the die cast zinc link that connects the ignition key lock to the ignition electrical switch in our 2001 LX470 broke. The dealer says that this part is not available as a separate item. He says we have to buy a new "ignition column" at rather high cost. I can use a long flat blade screwdriver to reach down to the electrical switch and turn the car on (with the key lock removed) but there is a requirement to hold a pin back to keep the steering wheel from locking (quite dangerous to drive). Does anyone know where I could get a replacement zinc link? Or are there any other ideas on what to do? My assessment of the problem is that the ignition key should have failed before the zinc link did, but Lexus does not see it that way. Thanks.

I had this same part break on my 1999 LX470 while out with my boss. I had to have the car towed to the dealer because it was after Lexus work hours. They had no problem getting the part. It took them a whole day to replace this link because the entire steering column had to be disassembled. Afterwards I had no problems.

I have had a 2001 LX470 for a couple of years. I had the dealer set a code (took them a bit a research to find it) to keep the steering column from going up and down each time the car was started. I figured it was less wear and tear, and I don't need it to move out-of-the-way to get in or out. I'ld check with the dealer again. I am in Cincinnati, OH.