Trac On Light Blinks Slowly

zak1234

My 01 IS300 has started developing the Trac ON blinking light. It blinks slowly and the TRAC button on the console doesn't do anything. How do I diagnose this issue? I took it to AutoZone and they ran a general test on the car something about Speed Sensor, however my speedometer and odometer etc are all working fine not sure if its related.

let me know guys..snow is coming.

thanks.

In order to be able to help you with this, I would need alot more info. And you meant the Trac Off light is blinking correct?

The ABS system and the Traction Control system work together. So it could be a whole slew of possibilities. When you took it to Autozone, did they give you what dtc code was showing? When he said it might be the speed sensor, I think he meant the wheel sensor. The speed snsor that controls the speedometer is located in the transmission. So if he saw say a C1271/71 code, that would be the right front speed sensor. which also means low voltage output. That can be because some crud has gotten in there and the sensor may just need to be cleaned. If a C1275/75 code came up, then the right front sensor has an abnormal output. Which usually means it needs to be replaced. But it could also be your Skid control ECU, or you may be low on brake fluid, so, as you can see, if you can have the DTC codes read and tell me what they are, then I can be very specific and help you that way. You will need someone with an ODB 2 scanner. It plugs in under the dash and it's not hard from that point. A hand held device would be sufficient.

Correct its Trac OFF light on the dash. The AutoZone shows Troubleshooting P0500, then below that shows OEM Brand: OBDII

The ECM has detected a fault in the vehicle speed sensor circuit, Failed Vehicle Speed Sensor. I don't show C1275 or any of those codes. Is their a different scanner that shows this?

Also does Trac OFF usually blink when its in the off position? I'm assuming its blinking because of an issue and normally the light is off.

In order to be able to help you with this, I would need alot more info. And you meant the Trac Off light is blinking correct?

The ABS system and the Traction Control system work together. So it could be a whole slew of possibilities. When you took it to Autozone, did they give you what dtc code was showing? When he said it might be the speed sensor, I think he meant the wheel sensor. The speed snsor that controls the speedometer is located in the transmission. So if he saw say a C1271/71 code, that would be the right front speed sensor. which also means low voltage output. That can be because some crud has gotten in there and the sensor may just need to be cleaned. If a C1275/75 code came up, then the right front sensor has an abnormal output. Which usually means it needs to be replaced. But it could also be your Skid control ECU, or you may be low on brake fluid, so, as you can see, if you can have the DTC codes read and tell me what they are, then I can be very specific and help you that way. You will need someone with an ODB 2 scanner. It plugs in under the dash and it's not hard from that point. A hand held device would be sufficient.

• 4 weeks later...

My 2002 IS300 is doing a similar thing. Trac light is on and abs light is flashing. I pulled the front wheel speed sensors today and other than grease I didn't see anything obvious. I also have a knock or click after I back up and brake then pull forward. seems to go away after I brake forward nice and hard. I thought the 2 things might be related but unfortunately the brakes pads weren't loose and there doesn't seem to be any slop in the pad location. So I am guessing the 2 problems are not related. The knock must be a worn bushing.

Anyhow, I will go by Autozone and have the codes read. Will they be able to identify, which sensor is bad or just give a speed sensor fault?

As for the knock if you have any ideas I would be glad to listen.

Correct its Trac OFF light on the dash. The AutoZone shows Troubleshooting P0500, then below that shows OEM Brand: OBDII

The ECM has detected a fault in the vehicle speed sensor circuit, Failed Vehicle Speed Sensor. I don't show C1275 or any of those codes. Is their a different scanner that shows this?

Also does Trac OFF usually blink when its in the off position? I'm assuming its blinking because of an issue and normally the light is off.

I don't know if they have the flash screen or not. But if you can have them give you what codes come up, I can interpret them for you and atleast point you in the right direction from there.

I also have a knock or click after I back up and brake then pull forward. seems to go away after I brake forward nice and hard. I thought the 2 things might be related but unfortunately the brakes pads weren't loose and there doesn't seem to be any slop in the pad location.

that sounds like you might have some play in the brake rotor itself. Next time, try taking the wheel off, and then remove the brake caliper and pull the brake rotor off. Then clean it up and put it back on. See if the rotor bangs on the lugs when you rotate it forward and backwards. If so, that could be where the sound is coming from.