Aftermarket Headlights Keep Burning All Of My Sockets 2000 Gs300..help

I have a 2000 GS 300. I had ordered the hyper white low beam headlamps, the hyper white high beam lamps, and the hyper white fog lights from lextasy.com. After some time of use the lights had burnt my low beam headlamps and my fog lights sockets. I'm talking about black burnt and cracked. I had talked to the representative at lextasy and she had said in the ten years of selling those lights that has never happened before. i had to get the whole plug sockets replaced, and the dealership said it was because those aftermarket lights burn too hot for the car. i had similar lights on my previous car which was a lincoln, and that had never happened. the worst it was on that car was a blown bulb. i had gotten these lights for temporary use until i could get the money to HID my head lights and fog lights. DOES ANYONE HAVE AN ANSWER TO THIS? should I get other lights or just use the stock lights until i get my HID's? Thanks :cries:

thanks a lot man i appreciate the time and money that i will save...I'm probably going to get the white HID kit soon for my headlights and foglights. any specific brand that is recommended?

Hey NY, those lights are no good i had them on my 98 it did the same thing twice and to be honest with you that is a fire hazard. u are better off spending 80 dollars for a hid kit and 20 bucks shipping i did that and they have lasted me 2 years so far and they work perfect. jsut go on ebay type in hid conversion kit and look at the 9006 bulbs becasue thats what our cars have. throw those away man theyre no good

thanks alot..i will definately go with the HID's..i'm thinking about the 8000k bluish white or the 6000k pure white. i have a black on black gs. i installed the clear side markers with the white bulbs in there, i also had changed my license plate lights to the white as well (like on the newer model lexus).. what do u guys think?

one more question....i plan on ordering the HID lowbeam headlights and the HID fog lights...should i get a kit for my high beams? i know that the HID'S are really bright and i probably wont need the high beams but then what would i put in those sockets. i am a big fan of the all around matching and "complete" look... what do u guys think?

9007? i thought our cars used 9006? do u just have the low beams, or do u have all around HID'S? i notice that alot of people just buy the low-beams and the fog lights and use the crappy xenon bulbs for the occasional high beam usage...is that a good idea or should i buy the HID kits for the low and high beams along with the foglights???

• 2 weeks later...
I have a 2000 GS 300. I had ordered the hyper white low beam headlamps, the hyper white high beam lamps, and the hyper white fog lights from lextasy.com. After some time of use the lights had burnt my low beam headlamps and my fog lights sockets. I'm talking about black burnt and cracked. I had talked to the representative at lextasy and she had said in the ten years of selling those lights that has never happened before. i had to get the whole plug sockets replaced, and the dealership said it was because those aftermarket lights burn too hot for the car. i had similar lights on my previous car which was a lincoln, and that had never happened. the worst it was on that car was a blown bulb. i had gotten these lights for temporary use until i could get the money to HID my head lights and fog lights. DOES ANYONE HAVE AN ANSWER TO THIS? should I get other lights or just use the stock lights until i get my HID's? Thanks :cries:

The problem with these aftermarket lights is the wattage rating on them. For example let's say your factory bulbls are rated at 55w. Most of the cheap aftermarket bulbs are rated at 80w to cheat more light output onto the road-not good. This will almost always fry headlight harnesses due to increased current and more current = more heat, hence the burnt connectors which are not designed to handle the increased wattage / heat. Aftermarket bulbs are fine if you match up the wattage rating of the new bulbs with the factory bulbs' output rating.

• 3 weeks later...

The problem with these aftermarket lights is the wattage rating on them. For example let's say your factory bulbls are rated at 55w. Most of the cheap aftermarket bulbs are rated at 80w to cheat more light output onto the road-not good. This will almost always fry headlight harnesses due to increased current and more current = more heat, hence the burnt connectors which are not designed to handle the increased wattage / heat. Aftermarket bulbs are fine if you match up the wattage rating of the new bulbs with the factory bulbs' output rating.

JDMSedan is exactly correct. I can't believe no one has mentioned it before. I have seen this happen in many cars. If you want a great bulb, spend the extra money and buy Koito bulbs or even Sylvania Silverstars. Both are nice bulbs, and are the correct wattage for your vehicle. While they may cost a bit more, it seems like a better option than constantly replacing your harnesses and/or sockets. Or, you could always go the HID route. Good luck.

NY Lex,

Which lights did you buy for the license plate lights? I was looking for a set this weekend, but wasn't sure what to buy. I want the bright white ones, like the new GS too. Which brand and number bulbs did you have to buy?

Thanks.

Hey, sorry for taking so long. Go to www.lextasy.com Click on the 98-05 Gs tab on the left. then click lighting. The lights are the same ones that u can use for the interior lights on the roof in the back, the side markers, or those little bulbs that are in the high beam sockets that go on at night when your head lights are on.

http://www.lextasy.com/gs300_led_door_light_1373_prd1.htm

There is the link for the door lights..they all use the same bulbs. i had put the white ones in my car and they look great. they are just not as bright as the new lexus models.