Misfire On Number 6 Cylinder

sjs300

My 1996 ES 300 with 160, 000 miles is giving me code P0306, misfire number six cylinder. I replaced the plug, but that did not fix the problem. Any suggestions? Thanks

Did you change the plug wire aswell?!

No, should I change the plug wire, coil cap or both? Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

No, should I change the plug wire, coil cap or both? Thanks

I have the same issue with a P0301 (#1 cyl misfire).

I think it's the coil pack.

No conclusive info on the forum that I've found.

I could flip coil packs and drive ~30 miles round trip to see if the problems has changed cylinders,

but would rather not.

I did a quick try to put the plug on the valve cover and check for spark on #2 cyl, but no spark there.

Maybe a bad ground thru th valve cover.?

Called for coil pack prices: Lex dealer $103. Toy dealer $90, but not sure that it's the same part. toy #9008019012

What is the best way to test a coil pack?

Any other suggestions? (00 es300 126k mi - ran [past tense!] well )

thanks.

It's fixed! Here is the whole process. This is what I would want to find posted for this problem.

The original issue was the car ran very rough. The VSC (vehicle stability control) and the check engine light were on. Check engine light was flashing at times. The car didn't really want to do over 45 mph. I had Auto Zone check the codes - P0301 Cylinder #1 misfire. Did some digging on this forum and that led me to the coil pack. I didn't want to swap coil packs and then drive the car again to get it tested for an answer, so i tested the parts on the car.

I was able to verify the coil pack on cyl #1 was bad by the following steps:

I verified plug from cylinder#1 with my lawnmower. The plug worked.

I used the lawnmower to rule out the possibility of a bad plug. I used the mower because I was concerned that I could create shooting flames from the sparkplug hole. Maybe not, but I wanted to be careful.

Now to test on the car.

I made sure the plug inside the coil pack had a good ground on the engine (i used a valve Cover bolt), and ran a jumper wire from the metal in the coil pack mounting hole to a good ground. Didn't want to ruin anything, and Bad ground = no spark.

I tested coil pack#1 on cyl #1 with the plug from cyl #1. NO spark. -Verifying that cyl #1 didn't work.

I tryed coil pack#2 on cyl #2 using plug from cyl#1. I saw spark. -Verified that #2 was working, and gave me a place to test coil #1.

I tried coil pack #1 on cyl#2 with the same cyl #1 plug and no spark. Problem isolated to coil pack #1.

I was surprised how fast I had to spin the engine to generate spark. It would just begin to run when I saw spark.

My wife did the key turning.

I tested the car and it ran well, but the VSC and check engine lights were still on,

so I disconnected the battery for 15 mins. The ECU reset itself and the warning lights were GONE.

I got the coil pack Part Number from Champion Toyota in Houston. www.toyotaworld.com

800.327.2087 They can look up parts for your Lexus. Many times the parts are Toyota.

Several years ago I bought a steering rack for my old camry from them and they were CHEAP vs dealer retail pricing.

The VVTi coil pack Part Number is 90080-19016.

Prices: Local Lexus dealer $103. Local Toyo dealer $90. Champion Toyota $68.

I'm in Chicago and didn't want to wait for the part by mail, so i bought it locally for $90 +tax.

• 1 year later...

Thank you!! I was reading your comments about your misfire and I have the same problem- I think. I switched coils from the 4/1 cylinders to the 6/3 cylinders and the code moved from cylinder 1 to cylinder 3. I think that is probably a good indication that it is the coil. Thanks for your help.

Should I buy a part directly from the dealer for my 98 es300 or an auto parts store? I appreciate any feedback you can give.

check the cable of the coil of cylinder 6. I have the same problem and found that the cable plug was broken. i replace the plug and walaaaa i fixed

I didn't do enough homework on mine... I did buy a new coil after testing the one for cylinder 1 on cylinder 3. The code jumped- I purchased and replaced the coil and still getting a p0301 code -cylinder 1 misfire. After this, I checked for the clicking noise that is supposed to indicate a working fuel injector. All three of the fuel injectors in the front bank seem to be firing(clicking) faster than the one in cylinder 1 in the back.

I couldn't get my screwdriver next to the other back two for comparison- but I wouldn't think they would run at a different rate than the front ones. Anyone had a similar problem or have any advice for me?

check the cable of the coil of cylinder 6. I have the same problem and found that the cable plug was broken. i replace the plug and walaaaa i fixed

I didn't do enough homework on mine... I did buy a new coil after testing the one for cylinder 1 on cylinder 3. The code jumped- I purchased and replaced the coil and still getting a p0301 code -cylinder 1 misfire. After this, I checked for the clicking noise that is supposed to indicate a working fuel injector. All three of the fuel injectors in the front bank seem to be firing(clicking) faster than the one in cylinder 1 in the back.

I couldn't get my screwdriver next to the other back two for comparison- but I wouldn't think they would run at a different rate than the front ones. Anyone had a similar problem or have any advice for me?

Check the computer signal to the coil if not signal founded unto the plug verify the cable maybe one them loses the cable isolation and perform a false signal to the computer.

Check the computer signal to the coil if not signal founded unto the plug verify the cable maybe one them loses the cable isolation and perform a false signal to the computer.

Thanks for your reply greenv! By cable isolation, are you referring to the spark plug cables/wires? or the wires going to my fuel injectors? This is all quite new to me. . thanks for your help!