Sewell Lexus Of Ft. Worth, Tx....thumbs Down!

texagun

Sewell Lexus of Ft. Worth, TX---Thumbs Down!

I bought my 2005 LS430 from Sewell Lexus of Ft. Worth, TX. less than 2 years ago. It currently has 13,000 miles on it and has always been kept garaged. I put it in the garage the other night, and when I woke up the next day to run some errands, there was a 10” vertical crack running down my windshield directly in front of the driver. Upon inspection, the crack started at the uppermost part of the windshield under the chrome border and ran straight down the windshield. I did not get hit by gravel, rocks or any other object. Since the crack was directly in front of the driver, it would have been obvious if I had been hit by an object. It appeared to be a stress crack, probably from improper installation or flexing of the car body. I took the car into Sewell after being told that this would be covered under my New Vehicle Warranty but they would have to inspect it first.

The Service Writer took a full 10 minutes inspecting it, finding no evidence of a rock or gravel strike. Then he took out his ballpoint pen and ran it up and down the crack, stopping at the top of the crack and moving it around. I couldn’t figure out what he was doing. Then he gets a magnifying glass with attached spotlight and shows me a miniscule impression, right where he was pressing his pen, and informed me that was where I was hit by a rock. This miniscule mark could not be seen with the naked eye, but he insisted it was a rock strike. There was absolutely no evidence of any rock strike or external damage to the naked eye. After I questioned him, he called the Service Manager who just agreed with the Service Writer’s assessment. When I disagreed with him, he said he would “call Lexus and see how they would handle it.” He came back and said that out of the goodness of their heart, Lexus would pay ½ of the nearly $1900 charge for a new windshield. When I told him I could get a new OEM windshield installed by Safelite Auto Glass for $197.90 he informed me that their glass was no good and that it would split and peel in time, unlike the superior Lexus glass. Then the New Car Sales Manager came and said he would have to accept the opinion of his Service Manager and the claim would be denied. He asked me if I would pay $475 for a replacement windshield and I told him it should be replaced under the New Car Warranty at NO cost.

The General Manager was supposed to call me upon returning 3 days later to resolve the situation. I never heard from him on the 3nd day so I called him and he informed me they wouldn’t replace the glass under warranty. I asked him if he had even looked at the windshield, and he said “No”.

Needless to say I was very disappointed with the Service Department and Management of Sewell Lexus of Ft. Worth and their failure to honor the New Car Warranty that comes with every new Lexus. You pay for this warranty when you buy your new car, and for their failure to honor it, I give Sewell Lexus of Ft. Worth a big THUMBS DOWN. Fortunately there are several other dealers available in the DFW area.

Update: I had the windshield replaced by Safelite Auto Glass 2 days later. I asked the 2 technicians at Safelite to check the crack after they had removed the framing and tell me what caused the crack. After their examination they told me there was NO evidence of a rock or gravel chip to the window, and that when the windshield was originally installed by Lexus, they had left a gap with no sealant at all under the area where the crack originated at the top, leaving that area unsupported, which caused the crack due to lack of support in that area and body flexing of the car. This was duly noted on the invoice and I forwarded a copy of the invoice to Sewell Lexus. I have had no response from them and Lexus has continued to deny the claim.

This is just my experience with Sewell Lexus of Ft. Worth……To be Forewarned is to be Forearmed.

i bought my car at sewell in dallas and had all kinds of issues with the techs telling me crap that was very obviously wrong! anyways.... i changed my service to park place in grapevine and have been happy ever since.... i sent my sewell license plate covers back to sewell in an envelope telling them i wouldn't advertise for a company that wouldn't be professional and handle crap that should have been done in the first place!!! so i agree sewell has failed me as well in the service area... even though it is stated to be their motto.... all about service since blah blah blah.... my a$$

i bought my car at sewell in dallas and had all kinds of issues with the techs telling me crap that was very obviously wrong! anyways.... i changed my service to park place in grapevine and have been happy ever since.... i sent my sewell license plate covers back to sewell in an envelope telling them i wouldn't advertise for a company that wouldn't be professional and handle crap that should have been done in the first place!!! so i agree sewell has failed me as well in the service area... even though it is stated to be their motto.... all about service since blah blah blah.... my a$$

Thanks for that info. I've never had any kind of warranty claim with them before, but I sure am disappointed with their whole management. For Lexus, I think they are sub-standard. I actually live closer to Park Place in Grapevine so will give them a try.

• 2 weeks later...

While I live in another state I have had a bad experience with this dealer also. I want go into all the details but it was over an EBay auction of new floor mats. The parts guy was rude and offered no apology for being wrong or rude. I ended up buying the mats at a local dealer that matched their price. Not sure what is going on with these guys but something is not right. If I was in the TX area I would find another dealer to do business with.

I have never used service from Sewell because I live on the other side of the country, although I do order parts from them frequently without any hassle and great customer support whenever I had any questions. It sucks to hear about your experience though, thats the problem with dealers these days... you really have few options when dealing with them other than to take your business elsewhere.

Well, after 5 letters, emails and phone calls I finally got my response from the company who is supposed to have some of the best Customer Service around. It is a forum letter (email) that is quoted below. It probably took all of 30 seconds for them to deny this claim. I am sadly disappointed with Lexus. I hope the rest of you have a better experience with Lexus warranty claims, should they ever occur.

"Thank you for contacting the Lexus Customer Satisfaction Department regarding your 2005 LS 430, Vehicle Identification Number JTHBNxxxxxxxxxxxx. We appreciate the time you have taken to share your thoughts.

As an automotive manufacturer, Lexus feels its warranty is one of the most comprehensive in the industry, and demonstrates faith in the performance and reliability of its product line. Lexus also realizes that mechanical failures can occur on any vehicle at any time, and regrets any inconvenience this may cause.

In an effort to be sensitive to the expectations of Lexus customers, we review matters on a case by case basis when a product failure occurs outside the warranty period. [My "failure" occurred WITHIN the warranty period]We have examined all information pertinent to your request for assistance, including the nature of the repair, [There was no repair made by Lexus]service history with Lexus, [i had no service history with Lexas...this was my one and only warranty claim]mileage on the vehicle, [13,000...well within the warranty period]and the warranty expiration date. [i still have over 2 years left on my New Car Warranty]We conclude it is not appropriate for Lexus to provide assistance on the repair of the windshield. We apologize that this may not be the response you hoped for.

If you require further assistance, please contact the Lexus Customer Satisfaction Department at 1-800-255-3987, Monday through Friday, 5:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., or Saturday, 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Pacific Standard Time.

Sincerely,

Heather Mau'u

Lexus Customer Satisfaction"

Well, after 5 letters, emails and phone calls I finally got my response from the company who is supposed to have some of the best Customer Service around. It is a forum letter (email) that is quoted below. It probably took all of 30 seconds for them to deny this claim. I am sadly disappointed with Lexus. I hope the rest of you have a better experience with Lexus warranty claims, should they ever occur.

"Thank you for contacting the Lexus Customer Satisfaction Department regarding your 2005 LS 430, Vehicle Identification Number JTHBNxxxxxxxxxxxx. We appreciate the time you have taken to share your thoughts.

As an automotive manufacturer, Lexus feels its warranty is one of the most comprehensive in the industry, and demonstrates faith in the performance and reliability of its product line. Lexus also realizes that mechanical failures can occur on any vehicle at any time, and regrets any inconvenience this may cause.

In an effort to be sensitive to the expectations of Lexus customers, we review matters on a case by case basis when a product failure occurs outside the warranty period. [My "failure" occurred WITHIN the warranty period]We have examined all information pertinent to your request for assistance, including the nature of the repair, [There was no repair made by Lexus]service history with Lexus, [i had no service history with Lexas...this was my one and only warranty claim]mileage on the vehicle, [13,000...well within the warranty period]and the warranty expiration date. [i still have over 2 years left on my New Car Warranty]We conclude it is not appropriate for Lexus to provide assistance on the repair of the windshield. We apologize that this may not be the response you hoped for.

If you require further assistance, please contact the Lexus Customer Satisfaction Department at 1-800-255-3987, Monday through Friday, 5:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., or Saturday, 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Pacific Standard Time.

Sincerely,

Heather Mau'u

Lexus Customer Satisfaction"

give them a call, give heather a lil taste of your dissatisfaction.

kdjspawn00 wrote:

"give them a call, give heather a lil taste of your dissatisfaction."

That's a great idea, except it doesn't work. When you call, you talk to a computer, not a real person. You leave a message, but your call is never returned. Whatever happened to REAL Customer Service?

I wonder if you can file a claim in small claims court?

That's a possibility that I have considered. Going against a huge company like Lexus with unlimited assets would certainly result in appeals and more appeals even if I won. I'm afraid I would just be beating my head against a wall. On the other hand, posting the FACTS where potential customers can see them might be more effective. I am so disappointed with Sewell Lexus of Ft. Worth and Lexus USA, I just wanted others to know what kind of treatment I received from them. I went as far as I could go with Sewell with no response....I started with the Service Advisor, then the Service Manager, then the New Car Manager, then the General Manager, and finally a letter to the owner of Sewell Lexus. Absolutely NO response. It seems like they can deny a legitimate warranty claim, backed by verifiable evidence, at their whim and there's not much you can do about it. Lexus USA has been TOTALLY worthless in responding to my complaint....a "form letter" that they send out to all respondents....I doubt if they even read my complaint. The only reason I'm posting this is so others will get a sense of what kind of dealer support they can expect from Sewell Lexus of Ft. Worth and Lexus USA if they ever have a warranty claim. From responses on other forums, I have found that there are others out there that have received the same kind of poor service from Sewell Lexus of Ft. Worth. On the other hand, Sewell Lexus of Dallas seems to give good service. I don't understand why there should be such a disparity between dealers who are owned by the same individual.

Its like managers in a business, some are attentative and good, others suck...Lexus of America from my experience is all mouth and no show. Reminds me of our politicians, promise you the world and once elected, do nothing. Buy the car, and forget the excellence from then on...

You know, in small claims they might not show up, costs too much for such a measley amount. better to pay off and be done with it...

I received this letter today from the Better Business Bureau. They have been great in collecting the facts and trying to arbitrate this problem. Apparently Sewell Lexus of Ft. Worth doesn't give much priority to addressing consumer complaints. And this from a company that proudly advertises on their website:

"We invite you to visit Sewell Lexus and experience the pride every Sewell associate takes to provide quality service to our clients...Sewell's heritage of customer service and attention to detail serves you well in Fort Worth. Here, as in all our dealerships, we strive to provide the best vehicle sales and service experience for our customers."

BBBLetter.jpg

I received this letter from the Better Business Bureau yesterday. Sewell Lexus of Ft. Worth has failed to make any response to my complaint after three (3) attempts by the BBB to get a response. Apparently car dealerships can just ignore complaints from the Better Business Bureau and continue doing business as normal. Very discouraging. The consumer apparently has no recourse against automotive dealerships like Sewell Lexus of Ft. Worth that refuse to honor valid Lexus New Car Warranty claims and then refuse to respond to complaints filed with the BBB. Lexus USA has also ignored all correspondance.

bbb2ndletter.jpg

Update and Conclusion: After no further response from my dealer (Sewell Lexus of Ft. Worth), and no response from Lexus USA, and no response by Sewell Lexus of Ft. Worth to my Better Business Burea complaint (they totally ignored every one of the BBB inquiries), I sent a personal letter to the owner of all the Sewell dealerships in my area outlining the treatment I received from one of his dealerships. I got a call a couple of days later from the gentleman who manages all the Sewell dealerships and he apologized for the service I received and offered to pay (out of his own funds) for a new Lexus windshield to be installed. It was done today and I'm pleased the car is, at least, back to original specs again. But to be clear, this replacement was NOT covered under my New Car Warranty, and was not paid for by Sewell Lexus of Ft. Worth, and was NOT covered or paid for by Lexus USA under warranty, but rather by the individual who cares enough about his dealerships to try to make a customer happy. I am pleased that it is over....I am still bitterly disappointed with the lack of support I received by the Lexus Corporation (Lexus USA) and by my local dealership.

I have had no problems with Sewell but have only used them for parts orders. I'm not sure I agree that this should have been covered by warranty since a window can break for various reasons not just having evidence of a rock or other object that could have been kicked up from the roadway. If I strike the glass hard enough with my fist, it certainly isn't going to show any signs other than a small crack from the force of my hand. Weather changes also can e a factor as well but you living in TX this senario is probably an unlikely one. If you only had to spend a couple of hundred bucks for the fix I think you did quite well. As far as Sewell trying to sell you the OEM glass, that's their job to make money for the store and that's what most dealers will do. I'm surprises that you had the b**ls to ask the dealer to pay for a windshied on a vehicle that's two yesrs old. The fact that they offered to eat half the cost was a good gesture as far as I'm concerned.

• 1 month later...
I'm not sure I agree that this should have been covered by warranty ... The fact that they offered to eat half the cost was a good gesture as far as I'm concerned.

No kidding. The fact that they ended up paying for part of it shows that, contrary to the title of this thread, Sewell bent over backwards to satisfy an absurd customer.

I'm not sure I agree that this should have been covered by warranty ... The fact that they offered to eat half the cost was a good gesture as far as I'm concerned.

No kidding. The fact that they ended up paying for part of it shows that, contrary to the title of this thread, Sewell bent over backwards to satisfy an absurd customer.

I completely disagree." We'll pay for half." as some gesture is stupid. If there is even a question about something like this, they should allways lean in favor of the customer. It's not like there was undeniable evidence of a rock causing this issue. And, not being a judge of anyone's character, I think you should allways assume the customer is telling the truth. Especially in a case like this. Because for them to say that a pinpoint chip caused it to crack is like saying that 1900 windshield is crap to begin with! Come on, how many rocks have hit your windshield without cracking the whole damn thing in half? I know, it could have hit it just right to cause it, but if a customer who just bought a new LS from me, with 13,000 miles on it brought it in and said This just happened overnight, it wasn't there, and now it is, I would have the car brought into service, pull the trim off, and investigate the cause. If there was even a hint that it was a mfgr. issue, it's replaced, a happy customer goes back on the road, notes are made about the issue, we move on. Now instead, you have an upset customer, who is talking about his bad expereince to all his freinds and on the Lexus forums, you have a BBB file report, and the owner had to get involved and the customer still got his windshield replaced. yeah, that's bending over backwards alright... <_<

I'm sorry to hear this happened to you. I applaud your conviction in standing up for what you believe is right. It's people like you that make other peoples warrentee claims get processed the way they should be, and keeps big business from making substandard products. I'm sure they will remember this the next time someone goes in there with the same problem.