Recommend A Tire.

Tony10

Hi everyone, just joined the forum!

Ok, I have a 2002 IS300.

The tires are: 215/45-17, but the problem is they have sport racing tires from California.

Bridgestone Potenza RE040 - good tires by the way, I like them

I live in NYC, so that means the tires are worthless in the snow.

What tires should I replace these with?

Considering I will be driving them all year round, in all 4 seasons...well maybe not in a blizzard, but will be if there is some

snow on the ground.

Also what are your experiences with those tires...good/bad points.

I just found out that discount tire direct is having an internet sale (save $100 on 4)

but I have heard rumors that they also jacked up the price before the sale.

I also noticed that they do not have Bridgestone tires there.

Thanks

-Tony

Welcome to the forum. Generally the RE040 and RE92 are the more popular tires we see on the IS. True they are on the high performance side, but you may be able to find a decent touring type tire. Even with touring tire and their better all weather capability, you may want to consider getting four snow tires for the winter.

Welcome to the LOC!!

when it comes to tires that perform in all weather conditions, you generally end up with a half a$$ tire. And generally doesn't do either job very well. There is just inherent issues that combat each other. For example, large deep tread makes for great traction, but sucks for road noise. Lots of uneven cut blocks make for good ability to move away snow from between the tread blocks, but again hurt handling alot. And if you go the other way, a tire that has smaller tread groove spaces makes for a nice quiet ride, but suck for traction on ice and snow. So you have to balance how much you want to give up one for the other.

I would strongly consider getting another set of rims off ebay, (they don't have to be expensive ones.) and then get a set of real snow tires for the the winter, and then switch back to performance tires during the summer months. You'll actually come out ahead, as your tires will last alot longer, and you will have the best of both worlds.

But if you still want a all season with snow capabilities, then RE96 Bridgestones are ok. And so are the Avon Techs. But these are all designated for light snow only. I have seen winter tire packages including rims for as low as 700 bucks. And they are dedicated snow tires. Just in case you wanted to know.

>>Generally the RE040 and RE92 are the more popular tires we see on the IS

Yes, I saw an IS300 parked on the street and took a look at the tire, and it was the RE92. which is pretty expensive

>>Even with touring tire and their better all weather capability, you may want to consider getting four snow tires for the winter.

>>I would strongly consider getting another set of rims off ebay, (they don't have to be expensive ones.) and then get a set of real snow tires for the the winter, and then switch back to performance tires during the summer months

Ok, I know this is going to come as a shock to you guys, and maybe even bordering on heresy...but I dont drive the car much!

Its a 2002 IS300, and it has 25,000 miles on it.

But I do like the car, its just that I travel for work, so I am out of town mon-fri, and I went through a period of over a year where I had to drive to travel so I had a rental car (company pays for it) 7 days a week.

Thats why I still have the original tires on it.

But Im thinking they are probably reaching the end of their life, and since I need tires, I would get all season tires, which is what is needed, since my tires do not work on any snow at all.

Obviously I don't race, etc...I stay around 65 on the highway (speed limit is 55 here).

So knowing this, whats a good tire for me?

Thanks

The Bridgestone Potenza RE 960 AS Pole Position. costs around 150 each. you could probably get a better deal if you looked around hard enouph. Best all around tire out right now that Iv'e seen.

I just got some ice/snow tires today for this winter (ran me a pretty penny too) and the guy at the store told me to be safe I have to get four snow tires because of the hardness difference between the two or something... he basically said my rear end would be all over the road if I only got back snow tires. this isn't bull*BLEEP* is it?

Well I live in NY as well LI - I am on my second IS300 at this point (2002&2005) the only real answer is to get a winter set and a summer set of tires. Basically all the all-season tires don't work well with this car in the smallest amount of snow. Please trust me on that!

I run Blizzak ws-50's in the Winter 235-45-17 Nov thru March and in the summer time Toyo Proxes T-1R's 225-40-18/265-35-18 - ---

After much trial and error - many rims and tires I found that in the long run this was the most economical and best all around for both wallet and performance.

Our 2001 GS300 had Yokohoma's when we got it and I was impressed with the wet traction of these tires. Just never broke loose in any maneuver and gives you full confidence. My wife was even able to make it home during one of those freak snow storms during rush hour where people abandon their cars on the freeway. She passed many cars and even a State Patrol that couldn't make it up a freeway on ramp. I'm not sure if it was more the tires or the traction control but it convinced me to buy a new set of Yokohoma's (even though the exact model wasn't available any more) for the GS anyway.

I will get the same tires for my 2001 IS soon. The tires on the IS are so bad on wet pavement (but great on dry) and in Seattle, that's not good. I have 100% confidence with the GS in the rain, that goes down to about 25% in the IS in the rain. It could be the extra weight of the GS but won't really know till I get them on. Does anyone have them on their IS? Do others feel this way with their IS in the rain?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys. I have a 2002 IS300 Sportcross. I have Toyo's in the back and General exclaim's in the front. Both sets are summer tires and were both installed by the previous owner. I already know since they are summer tires they won't do anything in the winter. I picked up 4 rim's, the exact replacement. The 5 spoke design. So i have two 17x7's and two 17x 7.5's. My question is I'm buying winter tires from TireRack. The Winter force M+S. Does anyone know if i bought the 215/65SR17 tires will i have any fitment issues. The reason i ask is because I'm obviously raising the sidewall height but I'm also reducing the width since the height is going up. Am i right or do i have this all bass ackwards?? Any and all help is appreciated, please let me know what would be a good size to put on, since i live in Chicago and the weather here is pretty unpredictable. Here is the link for the tires and the sizes they are available in:

WinterForce Tires sizes and pricing

I don't think 215/65/17's are gonna work. Your talking about a tread pattern that is about 3 1/2 inches wide!!!! Look at the aspect ratio. 65% of 215 mm is sidewall. That's 140 mm. that leaves 75 mm. for tread. For a rim that's 7 inches wide, 7.5 inches wide you need to stay with 215/40/17 or 215/45/17's.

Bah they don't have that size for the winterforce's. Any recommendations on tires for that size under lets say 85 bucks a pop??

I don't think 215/65/17's are gonna work. Your talking about a tread pattern that is about 3 1/2 inches wide!!!! Look at the aspect ratio. 65% of 215 mm is sidewall. That's 140 mm. that leaves 75 mm. for tread. For a rim that's 7 inches wide, 7.5 inches wide you need to stay with 215/40/17 or 215/45/17's.

I don't think that's right. It's 65% aspect ratio. 215 is the cross section width and basically the tread width as well. A little less width is gonna bite snow better than a super low profile anyway.

I don't think that's right. It's 65% aspect ratio. 215 is the cross section width and basically the tread width as well. A little less width is gonna bite snow better than a super low profile anyway.

i don't want to step on smooth's toes here, but do u think the 215/65/17 size would work bartkat?? I really need tires now because it just started snowing here today.

Shoaib,

I have family in from Wisconsin and Illinios this weekend for the family Thanksgiving Weekend together. Please accept my apology for the posts earlier, or any other posts that happened. My Nephew here is very sorry for something he doesn't really know anything about. I don't think they realize what our LOC boards are.

I of course know that 215 is the width in millimeters across the tread pattern. And a 215/60/17 is the same as a 215/40/17 in width. the only difference being the 60 is about an inch to an inch and a half taller. My nephew does know cars very well, I can't explain why he wrote what he wrote. He should know better as well. My deepst and humblest apologies to everyone.

i don't want to step on smooth's toes here, but do u think the 215/65/17 size would work bartkat?? I really need tires now because it just started snowing here today.

I'd go with it. Just be aware that the dry weather handling won't be as good, but those tire should work fine. Your speedometer will read a little low so be aware of that too.

Shoaib,

I have family in from Wisconsin and Illinios this weekend for the family Thanksgiving Weekend together. Please accept my apology for the posts earlier, or any other posts that happened. My Nephew here is very sorry for something he doesn't really know anything about. I don't think they realize what our LOC boards are.

I of course know that 215 is the width in millimeters across the tread pattern. And a 215/60/17 is the same as a 215/40/17 in width. the only difference being the 60 is about an inch to an inch and a half taller. My nephew does know cars very well, I can't explain why he wrote what he wrote. He should know better as well. My deepst and humblest apologies to everyone.

no worries bro it's all good. My initial concern about the tire isn't the ride height but since it IS a higher tire will it rub on the inside while turning or nething or hit the springs in the back or nething. I haven't had a chance to look at the suspension so i'm not sure what it actually consists of as far what the tire has to clear or what not.

Sorry i know i'm asking newbie questions even though i kno about cars. I just haven't had a Lexus before so i'm not sure about how the cars are constructed or anything like that. I really DO appreciate everyone's help on this board. I'm just looking for a good day to out and snap some good pix so i can post em. Probably get some good ones with the snow and everything. Even though the car's my mom's and not mine. I still steal it every chance i get. MUAHAHAHA. :ph34r: Pe@ce love and chicken grease from the middle east.

Wisconsin and Illinois meaning ur from the area. Where are ya from??

This is Smooth 1 posting. :)

My brother lives in Round Lake Park, and I have other relatives in from Waukegan, Highland Park area. But we were raised in Wausau, Wisconsin. Everyone has just moved around since then.

I think you should be fine. I lowered my car an inch and half and I have no rubbing issues at all. So I imagine that if you put a tire on that is larger by an inch and half, you won't have any rubbing issues either. Usually the rubbing would happen from a wider tire issue, not so much the diameter. The 215/65 should be ok. Your speedo will be off though, so remember that as well. So if the speedo reads 55, you will actually be speeding.

This is Smooth 1 posting. :)

My brother lives in Round Lake Park, and I have other relatives in from Waukegan, Highland Park area. But we were raised in Wausau, Wisconsin. Everyone has just moved around since then.

I think you should be fine. I lowered my car an inch and half and I have no rubbing issues at all. So I imagine that if you put a tire on that is larger by an inch and half, you won't have any rubbing issues either. Usually the rubbing would happen from a wider tire issue, not so much the diameter. The 215/65 should be ok. Your speedo will be off though, so remember that as well. So if the speedo reads 55, you will actually be speeding.

well considering this whole hoopla is for winter tires i don't think speeding will be an issue per say. Now turning off the traction control and finding an empty parking lot with fresh snow is an entirely different story. Thank you for everyone's help on this matter. I shall be ordering the new tires tomorrow. Hope everyone had a Happy and Safe Thanksgiving.