Toyota Vs Lexus Service

Mike Bearden

Am I correct that Toyota Dealers can do the scheduled maintenance on a Lexus but not warranty repairs...My 05 RX330 is due for the 45,000 service ( the light came on) at the same time the service lights on the right side guage panel are staying on sometimes when we start the car. My preference is to have the Toyota dealer do the maintenance but will I have to take it to Lexus to get the lights checked?

Am I correct that Toyota Dealers can do the scheduled maintenance on a Lexus but not warranty repairs... My preference is to have the Toyota dealer do the maintenance but will I have to take it to Lexus to get the lights checked?

Why not just call your local Toyota dealer and ask the same question?

Am I correct that Toyota Dealers can do the scheduled maintenance on a Lexus but not warranty repairs... My preference is to have the Toyota dealer do the maintenance but will I have to take it to Lexus to get the lights checked?

Why not just call your local Toyota dealer and ask the same question?

Toyota mechanics/technicians, in general, will be more competent, experienced, and better paid than their Lexus service counterparts.

There are a LOT more Toyotas sold, they are unquestionably less reliable (especially so of late) so there is simply more service work for any given Toyota dealer. Additionally many Toyota dealers also carry more than one marque.

Lexus sales, on the other hand, are a fraction of Toyota sales, the cars are unquestionably substantially more reliable, so Lexus dealer service bays are often just plain empty. Very little service traffic equals lack of experience, no premium pay for Lexus mechanics/technicians and oftentimes subpar pay in comparison to a BUSY Toyota shop. Basically expect most routine work and "prep" and finish work at Lexus to be done by McD graduates.

Lexus service writers, first and foremost, are taught the art of UPSELLING....

NEVER check a car in at Lexus for service absent being VERY definitive, in writing, about what you want done.... and more importantly, NOT done. Insofar as scheduled maintainance is concerned make sure the factory owners manual is used as a guide, not some schedule the dealer has cooked up on their own, and NOT the ROUGH service schedule unless you drive a taxi.

Actually, regreatably, this last statement applies to ALL dealer service departments.

My Toyota dealer (less than 5 miles from my house) has refused on 2 separae occasions to do any kind of service on my Lexus. They were very friendly about it but nonetheless wouldnt do the work even though its 33 miles to the nearest Lexus dealer. Point is I think its up to the individual dealers on whether they'll take on the work , warranty or not.