Need A New Key

sublimeSC

well this is my first post, lets see how it goes. First I would like to appologize in advance if this was asked already. I recently purchased a 1992 sc400 and the master keys screw is missing I need a new battery and the little button that you push to lock and unlock the doos is missing. Does anyone know if there is a way to replace the key without paying a rediculus fee to the dealer but still get a key to be able to activate the doors?

well this is my first post, lets see how it goes. First I would like to appologize in advance if this was asked already. I recently purchased a 1992 sc400 and the master keys screw is missing I need a new battery and the little button that you push to lock and unlock the doos is missing. Does anyone know if there is a way to replace the key without paying a rediculus fee to the dealer but still get a key to be able to activate the doors?

There are easy fixes for the battery and door lock mechanism (replacements), but the key issue may be a bit harder. It might be worth looking into the feasibility of swapping out the entire lock set up (doors, trunk and ignition) from a wreck. There are two good sources on Club Lexus in eth form of Aliga and R&J Distributing, they both have and dela in a bunch of salvage SCs.

BTW, djmicah on this site just wrecked his SC, so I bet he'd have the keys and everything else you need since its his ride and it just happened.

The button on the key is not serviceable through the dealer. If you can live without the door lock feature, you can order a normal key through the dealer for less money. If you want the door lock feature, then it gets crazy and confusing. There's no programming involved which is nice, but the ordered key/keys will come with a little electronic chip that gets plugged into the car so the door button works. Now heres the confusing part. The keys with the door lock feature come three ways, a single key, a two key set, or a three key set and they are ridiculous money. You can't order one and then later on, order a second one to go with the first, because each set will come with a different chip. In other words, you can't add new key to your existing one unless by chance you get the same electronic chip twice. I'm referring to the door lock feature only. The ignition won't be problem, because the key will cut the same way.

Are you saying that I need to buy three keys at same time? Let me explain: I Had only the remote key when car was purchased; this key works manually, but button does not unlock/lock doors. Replaced battery (CR1216); key has FCC ID of "NYQWDT" with small "rB" after, although not 100% clear on this marking. Key says "LOCK/UNLOCK DOOR" on other side, however. I got directions on programing the remote key on this forum, and I got a "Master Key" cut for car's VIN from Sewell Lexus. Following programming directions, I am able to get confirmation beep and lock actuation from car; however, I continue to get nothing from my remote key. i.e., it will not open/lock doors. So, I wonder, is the circuit/chip in remote key I got with the car bad? Or, am I inadvertently "de-programing" it as I go through the sequence? [i note that there are three (3) keys mentioned in the programing directions I'm using: "original key" which is what I got with the car, "master key" which I ordered from Sewell, and the "new key" which I am now thinking is a new remote key, which I don't have (yet).] So, what do I have here - is it just not possible to re-program my old remote key? Is this key bad? Should I go buy a new remote key? Thanks, I'm totally confused on this effort, which is to get the remote key to unlock/lock doors for safety purposes.

well heres what happened since my original post. After spending 850 bucks at the dealership to fix my brakes an oil change and some burnt out bulbs in the dash the dealer "hooked" me up with a screw for free. I then went to radio shack and bought the proper battery (atleast I think it was the proper battery) but the remote still doesnt work. My plan is to either stick with the same key which now looks pretty good except its missing the button on top or buy an aftermarket key. I have seen on ebay these aftermarket switchblade keys which look pretty nice. Lastly I will get a remote start alarm so I will have the abbility to unlock and lock my doors without using the actuall key. Heres the question though. Can the aftermarket remote be hooked up to the Lexus chirp (I think the Lexus chirp sounds classy). Also I put the woodgrain kit on my car and now am looking for a woodgrain/leather cover for my steering wheel< has anyone purchased one of these and if so got any feedback or pics?