Upper Control Arms Needed!

LEXDOGG

I am looking for a set of upper control arms. i called a local dealer and the guy quoted me @$320 each :( I asked him if you can change just the bushings and he said no! i already replaced the struts thinking that it was the problem and it wasnt. I talked to a friend that used to be a lexus tech and he said it is the upper control arm bushings. i found a set at a local junk yard for $85 each but I dont really want to replace them with used parts. if anyone has any info on where I might find a set cheaper than $320 each please let me know. The clunking sound when I hit a bump is irritating :angry:

Thanks Michael

The dealer near me told me the upper control arms on my 400 were "weak" wheatever that means. I don't hear any clunking though. They also said they are magnesium wishbones. Sound like a common complaint. I'm not sure how hard they are to install, but I know when I did them on my Cadillac a few years ago, they were a bear!

I'm not sure why, but most types of files can't be uploaded. Just post it in the gallery or PM Matthew McNully for help. I think it would be really nice to have a repair gallery. I just wouldn't want to see all the models lumped together as they are on the repair boards.

$320 is not a bad price and I wasn't able to find anything cheaper. Apparently the upper ball joints are a weak point with the car since they do wear out on all cars...they just wear out faster on the LS400. The good news is that they are really easy to do yourself so you don't need to pay lexus for labor but $640 sucks to replace two ball joints.

Thanks for the help guys ;) I am just going to buy them from the dealer. They give me a discount because i am an autozone employee(we get discounts at all dealers). I paid $42 for each fron strut last week,so i saved some $$. I am going to have to take it in the a@% and pay $600 for the pair. That really hurts because i just finished putting 4 tv's with 2 amps,optima battery in the trunk,and 3 audiobahn 12's and all new audio witing in my car and it wasnt cheap. I was shootin for a set of new rims but it looks like i will be buying control arms. after that I will be buying the climate control display.

Thx again, Michael

• 3 months later...

LISTEN -

I am willing to gamble that your problem is not the contrrol arm but ather the strut bars. Strut bar keep the wheels from moving back and forth. If you coast at a slow speed, like 3 mph and slam on the breaks, do you hear the clunk. If so, its the strut bars. These are notorious on LSs. I have been down your route....Check the strut bars first.

Oh okay. when I first bought my car I heard the clunk, then I had the struts replaced and it made a big difference. I still haven't done anything with the control arms, but probably will next summer.

I'd just love for someone to do a tutorial on this. I'll even put it together for anyone who will take the pictures and provide the directions.

• 2 weeks later...