Brakes And Air Filter...

Hi all, been a long time but... Lets see, I moved to Chicago, and only thing new with the car is 4 new barum bravuris tires. But, I'm going to be replacing brake pads and air filter soon.

Brakes; Should I just get OEM from somewhere like irontoad? Or is it worth it to get like EBC red stuff pads? From the time I bought the car, I've hated how weak the brake pads are, but I don't want noise either. Will the red stuff pads be quite? They're a ceramic compound. And on irontoad, they say $45 for front brakes, is that for both wheels? four pads?

Now air filter...

Is it worth getting a TRD air filter? If so, where can I find one?

Thanks all!

Hi all, been a long time but... Lets see, I moved to Chicago, and only thing new with the car is 4 new barum bravuris tires. But, I'm going to be replacing brake pads and air filter soon.

Brakes; Should I just get OEM from somewhere like irontoad? Or is it worth it to get like EBC red stuff pads? From the time I bought the car, I've hated how weak the brake pads are, but I don't want noise either. Will the red stuff pads be quite? They're a ceramic compound. And on irontoad, they say $45 for front brakes, is that for both wheels? four pads?

Now air filter...

Is it worth getting a TRD air filter? If so, where can I find one?

Thanks all!

I don't think you would want the RED brake pads unless you are going to racing on the track..not good for street use... mainly because you would have to use a lot more pressure on them to make them work, as far as the air filter..just get a stock one just as good as anything else maybe even better. I have the GREEN brake pads and they work just fine.

Any benefit to the green pads over OEM? I'd like something that doesn't make a lost of dust. I dunno what brand the ones are that are on my car, but they make TONS of dust. There's plenty of friction material left, but they squeak like crazy, feel rough, and you can see cracks in them if I take them off. So, what I want is; decent stopping power, no noise, and minimal dust. Will OEM provide this? Need some more opinions...

Get a K&N Drop in filter on your SC. Some will say it doesn't do anything for the car, but I noticed a two MPG difference over my stock one, which was also new. The thing I like about the K&N filter is that you can reuse them.

It's worth it in the long run. I also like the K&N oil filter.

Plus you get free stickers to put on your car....because we all know that stickers add horsepower! ^_^ ^_^ ^_^

Haha, I'm not putting any *BLEEP*ing stickers on my car, I hope you were joking! :)

Anyone have objections to the K&N filters? I've heard objections to anything but toyota oil filters before, based on this premise...

The cars last so long because they're made by toyota, or by someone else, to toyotas specs... You start putting non-toyota parts in it, you start getting non-toyota problems...

Given, I haven't used a toyota oil filter since I got the car, but I'm going to order a few when I order pads from irodtoad.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the carbon metallic pads from Autozone (approx. 40.00) and they are not as dusty as the stock pads and seem to grip more when they get heated up [from braking]. Napa has a new set of ceramic pads out that have two different compounds; the outside pad is of a slightly diff. composition than the inside pad allegedly resulting in improved braking. I will be changing to these pads when I do the complete brake overhaul in the spring.

As for the airfilter, I have the K&N drop-in that I got off eBay for circa $20.00 shipped. The K&N drop-in has many many fitments so you might find it for a Toyota Tacoma cheaper than for the SC if you are searching on eBay. (DISCLAIMER: I do not know if the Tacoma has the same fitment as the SC; it was for example purposes only)