Another 'vibration' Story

Howdy,

I bought an '04 GS300 6 months ago (CPO) from Lexus of Bellevue. The car was a dream during the test drive and the first two months of ownership. That was before the 30,000 mile warranty workup. Afterwards the car had a definite vibration at highway speeds. So I take it to my trusty Tirearama guy and have them balanced. It helps but not completely. So, I take it to Lexus and they balance the tires. It didn't help.

The vibration is present at all speeds and even during idling at stop lights. I've put the car into neutral to see if there was any change in the vibration. There wasn't. I've also switched off the climate control to see if the AC compressor might be causing the vibration. No luck there either.

Anyone know what might be the culprit here?

-JR

Howdy,

I bought an '04 GS300 6 months ago (CPO) from Lexus of Bellevue. The car was a dream during the test drive and the first two months of ownership. That was before the 30,000 mile warranty workup. Afterwards the car had a definite vibration at highway speeds. So I take it to my trusty Tirearama guy and have them balanced. It helps but not completely. So, I take it to Lexus and they balance the tires. It didn't help.

The vibration is present at all speeds and even during idling at stop lights. I've put the car into neutral to see if there was any change in the vibration. There wasn't. I've also switched off the climate control to see if the AC compressor might be causing the vibration. No luck there either.

-JR

You said it vibrates even when its idleling? This sounds like it might be an engine problem. Have you checked the spark plugs and wires?

Howdy,

-JR

You said it vibrates even when its idleling? This sounds like it might be an engine problem. Have you checked the spark plugs and wires?

You have got to be kidding me. Poor site.

It could be a couple of things that come to mind. One is the Harmonic balanced flywheel is off, or you may have an unbalanced drive shaft. I don't know what they would have done to it at the service to effect these parts though. But if you say the vibration is happening at idle, then it has to be on of those. If you feel it in the steering wheel, it could be a loose motor mount, or a mount that is going bad.

You have got to be kidding me. Poor site.

You don't like our site? And have nothing useful to add? Then go away.

As to the original poster - if the problem co-incided with the service, it may be an engine mount or trans mount, depending on how the mechanic "test drove" the car. Make it clear to the service department when it happened, and demostrate the vibration to them.

Smooth1 said it best

Ya think Pappy? Perhaps you could explain to me where the flywheel is on the GS300. As far as I know, they use a torque convertor to provide inertia, not a flywheel. And perhaps you could also explain how a driveshaft, stationary at idle with the vehicle stopped, could produce a vibration such as the original poster described.

At least Smooth1 offered some advice in order to attempt to help the OP.

Smooth1 said it best

Ya think Pappy? Perhaps you could explain to me where the flywheel is on the GS300. As far as I know, they use a torque convertor to provide inertia, not a flywheel. And perhaps you could also explain how a driveshaft, stationary at idle with the vehicle stopped, could produce a vibration such as the original poster described.

At least Smooth1 offered some advice in order to attempt to help the OP.

As far as I know, they use a torque convertor to provide inertia, not a flywheel.
Right, auto tranny, not manual. Sorry. My bad.
And perhaps you could also explain how a driveshaft, stationary at idle with the vehicle stopped, could produce a vibration such as the original poster described.
I mentioned this because the op also said he had the tires balanced and rebalanced. If the car is standing still then the balance of the tires have nothing to with anything then. Yet he said it made it a little better? So I wasn't sure where he was going with the original issue. And I had a friend spend alot of money on replacing perfectly good suspension components and rims and tires and so fourth only to finally find out he had a drive shaft issue that was causing the vibration.

.I mentioned this because the op also said he had the tires balanced and rebalanced. If the car is standing still then the balance of the tires have nothing to with anything then. Yet he said it made it a little better? So I wasn't sure where he was going with the original issue. And I had a friend spend alot of money on replacing perfectly good suspension components and rims and tires and so fourth only to finally find out he had a drive shaft issue that was causing the vibration.

I understand - sounds reasonable.

I'm hearing lots of things, which sound like places to begin. The fact 'she' ran so smoothly right up until they did the 35k service told me it had to be something 'they' did at the dealership. I just couldn't come up with anything except the rotation of tires might have caused the vibration.

I have begun paying closer attention to it and this evening, on the way home, it was almost gone. This morning on the way in to work it felt as if the car was surging.

Lexus is recommending I flush the tranny/universal and do the fuel injection/throttle body service. Would these help? Funny you would mention motor mount. During my youth, I had a '67 Chevy with a broken motor mount, young, reckless kids shouldn't drive 327 four barrel carb'd cars but I digress. The engine vibrated, lots more than the Lexus, but vibrated nonetheless. It was the first thought in my mind.

I reckon it's time to setup an appointment and see if we can find out what is causing it.

-JRRRRRR