93 300 Sc Speedometer Problem

CCJC

As original owner of a 93 300 SC with 52000 miles this vehicle has been absolutely trouble free until about a month ago when the speedometer began to operate intermittently. While operation was normal at most times, on occasion the speedometer remained at zero. Now (during the last few days) the speedo is not moving off the zero peg at all. Having reviewed the few threads describing similar but not the same problem I'm searching for the probable sources of the failure for my own peace of mind but also for guidance as to whether this could be handled by my local and reliable mechanic or requires Lexus service?

You probably have a speed sensor issue on the transmission. If you can have an ODB2 scanner give you a code, we can determine the answer.

Wait, sorry, I just noticed the year of your car. It's pre- ODB2. You will have to take it in. Your local mechanic should be able to handle it. The sensor costs around 70 bucks. It's not to hard to replace.

Wait, sorry, I just noticed the year of your car. It's pre- ODB2. You will have to take it in. Your local mechanic should be able to handle it. The sensor costs around 70 bucks. It's not to hard to replace.

Thanks for the info!

HHmm, not the speed sensor,,,,huh. well, that only leaves the cable and the speedometer gauge itself then. Which is unusual that they would have an issue.