Future Lexus Owner Has Questions....

reikiwes

Hey guys. New member, and hopefully, a new owner soon, too!

I have my eyes on a 2003 ES300 with 79,900 miles on it. Interior looks great, but, obviously, I am worried about the high mileage. Dealer is asking $15,900 for the car. Is this too much for so many miles? Everything else in the 2003 range with less miles is $5-6k higher (lower $20k's).

My concern is that I will be strapped with a high payment and not be able to afford the maintenance required to keep the car in good condition, or if anything tragic happens, like having the tranny go or some similar disaster.

What potential problems can I expect with the 2003 with 70k+ miles on it? Basically, I need someone to tell me I cam crazy for paying so much for a car with so many miles on it, or to tell me I would be making a wise purchase, and that the Lexus quality and reliability is nothing to sneeze at and I will be just fine for the lifetime of the payments (5 years). (I have had NUMEROUS people tell me they'd never LOOK at a Mercedes with those miles, but wouldn't blink about paying that for a Lexus with those miles.)

Someone please allay my fears (or confirm them).

FYI: Here's a link to the car in question, and I trust the dealer a lot... they drive a HUGE business here in our town, and are VERY fair to customers, or so it seems. They are essentially a "no haggle" dealer, with marked prices their "bottom", if you know what I mean.

Link to dealer: http://www.frontiermotorsinc.com/inventory.html. select "Lexus", it's the 9th or 10th one down.

79,000 miles isn't really high mileage, my 03 has 96k. Assuming the car has been in service for 4.5 years thats only 17,600 miles a year, national average is 15k.

If the car has been maintained I wouldn't be concerned at all. My ES has been properly maintained and its every bit as great a car at 96k as it was when I bought it with 6 miles on it.

79,000 miles isn't really high mileage, my 03 has 96k. Assuming the car has been in service for 4.5 years thats only 17,600 miles a year, national average is 15k.

If the car has been maintained I wouldn't be concerned at all. My ES has been properly maintained and its every bit as great a car at 96k as it was when I bought it with 6 miles on it.

Thanks for the reassurances. Just drove the car and it's very nice. I'll let you know when I take 'the plunge". LOL

-w

I bought my '97 in 2003 with 86k miles. It now has 122k and I haven't had to put too much money into it over the past four years. It's been a GREAT car and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Lexus at 80k miles. Check the maintenance records, if available. The main thing is whether the car was taken care of. Lexus builds solid vehicles so I wouldn't shy away from a Lexus with higher mileage. Good luck with your decision!

the other option is check with the dealer to see if they offer extended warranty up to 100K miles or 2 more years. if they give you a discount warranty or free warranty, i will consider. it just puts your mind at ease.

may be the tune up and timing belt will eat some $$$, but i would consider it. i bought my 99 ES300 at 97K miles last year. Now it's at 121K miles. Runs great after a complete tune up, timing belt and engine flush.

I don't think that is excessive miles for the year, Lexus builds a great car, I am thinking you cannot go wrong. One point of interest may be that it is close to the 90k service, which can run in excess of $1,400 depending on where you live and who does the work. So if you do take the plunge, which you should, just plan for that service. Other than that, keep in mind, what little you do have to invest to keep it running, it will reward you with years of very luxurious driving!

may be you should read the tranny thread and feel comfortable with this car. i was in your position and decided to scale back and purchased a pre 2001 model with completed major service. i am quite happy with my coach edition leather with excellent nakamichi audio and looking towards 07 model after few years. Also you have to set aside $$ for the major service 90k service.

No issues with the transmission here. Its a little "kicky" down low but its never bothered me. IMHO the 02+ is a huge improvement over the 01-

I had read about the tranny concerns before I test drove it, and tried to get it to "react" like everyone describes. Drove like "buttah", as they say. Keep in mind, though, I'm coming from a Ford F150 pickup truck, 2004, with known "steering wheel and front end shudder", so anything would feel good. (If you own a 2004+ F150, take a look at other forums, there are as many people talking about the front end shudder as there are people talking about the ES300 tranny. Except, for some, the front end shudder has actually caused loss of control and accidents! YIKES!! Of course, Ford says there's nothing wrong at all... "it's a truck!")

I'm going today at 4:00 to complete the paperwork for purchase.

Here goes nothin'!

Thanks for all the support, guys. I'll keep you posted.

-w

To be picky-

The U.S. Department of Energy claims the 2006 national average is 12K miles, not 15K. :)

I agree, I don't think 79K is that high of mileage, in fact, I think it is pretty good. Consumer Reports rates these cars well. We bought our 2000 2+ years ago off ebay with 99K miles on it and we are up to 130K miles. Very little problems...we replaced the knock sensors and a battery, nothing else out of the ordinary. It has been a beauty of a car. I see nothing wrong with buying 'older' model luxury cars. Let someone else suffer the depreciation. I get an amazing amount of compliments on my 7 year old car. Just do your homework and know what you are looking for in the way of flaws.