Door Stereo Speakers

charlesranderson

I am in the process of getting some speakers to replace all four door speakers on my 91 LS400 which still has its Nakamichi sound system. I have heard that the speakers are 4 inch and the fit is tight, so I was thinking of some 4 inch Pioneers--Pioneer TS-G1041R--to at least keep it in the family of electronics offered with the vehicle. Actually, I am more interested in good sound at a reasonable price and want something else besides the Nakamichi speakers. I plan to replace the head unit around Christmas time and suggestions in that area are welcome, too. I already have the advice to get the harness and double din fitting kit from SFX.

My question comes from the fact that both circuit city and crutchfield state that the Pioneer TS-G1041R's do not fit my car!! Crutchfiled recommends Polk Audio db501 speakers which they say will fit on the factory mounts. Has anybody actually changed the Nakamichi speakers out and if so, what size speakers did you put in to replace? Were you able to use the factory mounts?

Thanks for all your help.

Got some good info on this--90 to 94's appear to have 4 inch speakers--95's seem to have moved up to 5.25.

See: http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311620

some Other big stores have bad info on these speaker sizes.

Thanks for your help

I am in the process of getting some speakers to replace all four door speakers on my 91 LS400 which still has its Nakamichi sound system. I have heard that the speakers are 4 inch and the fit is tight, so I was thinking of some 4 inch Pioneers--Pioneer TS-G1041R--to at least keep it in the family of electronics offered with the vehicle. Actually, I am more interested in good sound at a reasonable price and want something else besides the Nakamichi speakers. I plan to replace the head unit around Christmas time and suggestions in that area are welcome, too. I already have the advice to get the harness and double din fitting kit from SFX.

My question comes from the fact that both circuit city and crutchfield state that the Pioneer TS-G1041R's do not fit my car!! Crutchfiled recommends Polk Audio db501 speakers which they say will fit on the factory mounts. Has anybody actually changed the Nakamichi speakers out and if so, what size speakers did you put in to replace? Were you able to use the factory mounts?

Got some good info on this--90 to 94's appear to have 4 inch speakers--95's seem to have moved up to 5.25.

See: http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311620

some Other big stores have bad info on these speaker sizes.

Thanks for your help

I actually called Crutchfield a couple of weeks ago and spoke to someone in the technical dept. I explained that their info for the 91 LS400 speakers was incorrect. They were going to 'look into it' and hopefully update their info. We'll see... I purchased Infinity 4" 42.7i Kappas for all for doors. I had to open up the each of the speaker enclosures in order to install the crossovers. They sound pretty good for $33 each from HookedOnTronics.com. They have decent bass, mid and tweeter. my .02