Stereo Volume Issue

my92es300

Here we go again. Another problem with the stereo on my 92 ES300.

First of all, thank you for all the responses to my previous problem with the CD changer. Still not functioning, but now have a more serious problem.

The volume gets loud by itself. When this happens, I turn the volume knob to the lowest setting possible, but it is still VERY loud, although less so than before. Intermittently, the volume will seem to go back to normal and then I would adjust the volume control back up to hear the radio. This cycle happens constantly. The volume may be fine one moment and then jump then next.

I'm thinking that this is either loose wiring in the stereo itself or a problem with the amp. Either way, I may have to just get an aftermarket receiver and bypass the amp should this be the culprit. This brings up another concern that I have after reading all the posts regarding the installation of aftermarket receivers. if I do bypass the factory amp, am I running the risk of overpowering the speakers if I only use the receiver's internal amp?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Here we go again. Another problem with the stereo on my 92 ES300.

First of all, thank you for all the responses to my previous problem with the CD changer. Still not functioning, but now have a more serious problem.

The volume gets loud by itself. When this happens, I turn the volume knob to the lowest setting possible, but it is still VERY loud, although less so than before. Intermittently, the volume will seem to go back to normal and then I would adjust the volume control back up to hear the radio. This cycle happens constantly. The volume may be fine one moment and then jump then next.

I'm thinking that this is either loose wiring in the stereo itself or a problem with the amp. Either way, I may have to just get an aftermarket receiver and bypass the amp should this be the culprit. This brings up another concern that I have after reading all the posts regarding the installation of aftermarket receivers. if I do bypass the factory amp, am I running the risk of overpowering the speakers if I only use the receiver's internal amp?

I'm not familiar with the radio on the 92 models. If it has a rheostat (the knob that you turn to change the volume), dirt inside the rheostat will sometimes cause this effect. if so, you can sometimes clean it out with contact cleaner, but don't get it on the dash.

My guess is that you'll probably have less hassle and better results if you just replace the unit with a third party unit. As long as the power output of the new unit is comparable to the factory one, the speakers should be OK.