"restoring" Cracked Leather?

theoldpaths

ROBERT,

Yea that's what I'm looking for, "filling/hiding" the cracks. If the white in the cracks could be colored somehow it would help hide the cracks I am hoping.

I swear by the Lexol product line. I bought mine at Pep Boys. There is a cleaner and a conditioner. I use it about every 6 months and the leather in both of the Lexus' looks brand new!

Lexol has great products but it want fix craked leather.

You can't restore CRACKED leather, you can make it look a little better with these leather products but that's it... Ebay for leather new covers is what I did, then went to an uphostery shop and had them installed...$600 for the new leather covers and $300 to install.. New interior....Vallla...

post-13978-1192203256_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the reply. The cracks don't go all the way through, they are just on the surface. What kind of dye would I use?

If the cracks are not through the leather you can try dye. It can darken the lighter cracked areas. It may be difficult to find a perfect match though. If the cracks go through the cover, I'd say you'll have to buy new covers.

There is a product called Marhide that should work well.

This is the stuff/procedure that I would recommend. It is a filler and a dye. Cracked leather will not dye uniformly, you need to fill in the cracks with an elastic filler and then dye area or entire panel for a uniform look. I saw another product on Ebay that was US sourced and was specific to the Lexus LS400 gray interior that I have, but I cant find it anymore. Same type of stuff, a filler and a dye, sealer. Ebay item 140166319788

This is the stuff/procedure that I would recommend. It is a filler and a dye. Cracked leather will not dye uniformly, you need to fill in the cracks with an elastic filler and then dye area or entire panel for a uniform look. I saw another product on Ebay that was US sourced and was specific to the Lexus LS400 gray interior that I have, but I cant find it anymore. Same type of stuff, a filler and a dye, sealer. Ebay item 140166319788

Thanks for the idea, I am going to try it.

Thanks again everyone for the help.

How about a few pics before and after and a review of the product. Ill do it if it works.

How about a few pics before and after and a review of the product. Ill do it if it works.

You got it, I will post before and after pictures.

My 1990 LS400 is in great shape, but the gray leather seats, front and back, are starting to show some cracking. Is there a product that will "fill" the fine white cracks with a gray color to hide them?

Except for replacing the leather, you may be chasing your tail on this one. I have a similar problem from when I bought my 91 recently. The previous owner who purchased the car new had never conditioned the seats. The seats were hard, more like a 91 Mercedes than a 91 Lexus. Once I started conditioning them, the cracks started showing up. I think the only good remedy if you plan on keeping the car is to replace the leather... I found this company online. I think the total cost of materials is around $750 or so. They recommend professional install but you may be able to do it yourself.

Katzkin Leather Upholstery's

Jim