Racing Your Is Using The Paddle' Shift

I stumbled onto this web site, and I'm sure that you will all enjoy it.

If you have seen this before, I apologize. I am having a ball with it, and learning how to shift.

Goto www.lexus.ca

Click on 'Race the IS 350'

" 'Show Lexus CA menu'

" 'Engine Start

Select (click) your car/

" 'Continue'

Good Luck

• 2 weeks later...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but unlike the game, I think the paddles only force a downshift (within limits), not an upshift. For example, if you click the upshift paddle (or use the shifter knob) from 1st to 2nd at, say, 3000RPM with full throttle, the car still won't shift until it reaches nearly max RPMs. Since you can only prevent an upshift, the very best you can do is to avoid a late shift.. something the transmission will do on its own when left in auto. Additionally, for downshifting, it's almost always faster to simply mash the throttle, which will automatically downshift (assuming you're not already doing over 130, in which case you can't downshift anyway). The only benefit I've seen from manual shifting is to use engine braking, and that doesn't work too great on an automatic anyway thanks to the torque converter. It's useful for reducing the required braking on declines, but to get any appreciable engine braking, you typically have to use a gear lower than an equivalent 6-speed manual, which means you're using very high RPMs, and that's just more wear and tear on the engine (which is a lot more expensive to service/replace than some brake pads/rotors).

Basically, in my opinion, the paddle shifters on the IS are close to useless.

Exactly. This is why I find sequential shift to be pretty much useless, because even in manual mode the transmission is still an automatic with planetary gears and not with the gearing assembly of a real manual. But the thing is you can do a few more "sporty moves" with it.

I don't care for sequential shift, but that is an opinion.

• 3 weeks later...

Yup man, the 300+hp beast is only good for drag. Without the REAL sequential shift, I cannot make her turn corners at all.

Exactly. This is why I find sequential shift to be pretty much useless, because even in manual mode the transmission is still an automatic with planetary gears and not with the gearing assembly of a real manual. But the thing is you can do a few more "sporty moves" with it.

I don't care for sequential shift, but that is an opinion.

Maybe it's the way you drive but you're WAY to ciritcal about the "paddles".

You do realise that many cars today have the so called "manual" option, yes?

They use the knobby gear shifter. I don't see you hitting on them.

I think your expectations are to great because it has "paddles".

I can however agree that the way the 'box is programmed is odd.

Generally, when in the S mode, as the car slows down, the gears should drop. I know this happens in the Lexus' but it doesn't shift down the 'top gear selector'.

That matched with the fact that S mode isn't that 'esy', it should be noted that the E46 range BMW 3 series autobox's hold the gears a lot longer when in S mode (we're talking 4000RPM normal driving) and also shifts down when the car is rolling down a hill (this is serious downshifting - with the engine spinning towards 5000RPM).

Be happy that you've got the paddles because on the Euro competitor's they'll be a hefty option that'll leave a nice hole in your bank account.

I agree with "albatross83". It’s bunk. The paddles are useless in the ISx50. I have used them for an occasional engine brake but that's it. I did not buy the car to go racing at the track so it doesn't bother me. They just have a coolness factory just like the ring lights on the speedometer and tachometer.

I would propose that they were introduced on the '06 ISx50 just as a test bed for the IS-F. It is my understanding that the paddle shifters work much more effectively on the 8-Speed tranny used in the IS-F. Correct me if I am wrong but they appear to be chrome plated metal which would be more durable. The behavior is a combination of the software programming as well as the transmission itself. Perhaps future models of the ISx50 will have a software upgrade to change how the paddle shifters operate.

Regards,

I agree with "albatross83". It’s bunk. The paddles are useless in the ISx50. I have used them for an occasional engine brake but that's it. I did not buy the car to go racing at the track so it doesn't bother me. They just have a coolness factory just like the ring lights on the speedometer and tachometer.

I would propose that they were introduced on the '06 ISx50 just as a test bed for the IS-F. It is my understanding that the paddle shifters work much more effectively on the 8-Speed tranny used in the IS-F. Correct me if I am wrong but they appear to be chrome plated metal which would be more durable. The behavior is a combination of the software programming as well as the transmission itself. Perhaps future models of the ISx50 will have a software upgrade to change how the paddle shifters operate.

Regards,

Paddles or gearshift, the manual shift feature is not up to competitors. My '00 TL had a better manual shift system. The IS-F 8 speed is like the germans' direct shift systems, and should be way better.