Levinson Sound

Just heard that Lexus is no longer offering the Levinson sound package in new RX 400h vehicles. Can anyone confirm this or tell me that I have things upside down??

Fenton House

I asked this from Lexus customer service on last week. In NY area, you have to make special order for the car but it will take 4-5 months to get the car.

Response from customer service:

Thank you for contacting Lexus Customer Satisfaction. We are dedicated to providing superior service. In circumstances that require our attention, we will assist in the resolution process.

We do apologize for any misinformation that you may have received. The 2008 Lexus 400h does have an available Mark Levinson® Premium Audio System with an in-dash, single-feed, six-disc CD auto-changer. If you are unable to locate a Lexus RX 400h with the options you prefer, you may speak with the Customer Relations Manager at your local dealer regarding a possible special order. The Customer Relations Manager will be able to fully advise you of the process, vehicles & options you are able to special order, pricing and how long it will take.

If you require further assistance, please respond to this e-mail, or contact Lexus Customer Satisfaction at 1-800-255-3987, Monday through Friday, 5:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., or Saturday, 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Pacific Standard Time.

Sincerely,

Jeff Bryan

Lexus Customer Satisfaction

Only customer service people can extend a simple "yes" into 160 words. :)

Tom

Ain't it the truth. Wonder if there's any real difference between the Levison system and the standard package?? Having a some time in the back of 'hooks probably means I don't care...

Fenton house

A little off topic, however with the Levinson package, when you fade to the rear speakers, is there no bass present? We checked with the dealer and they said that the woofers are only in the front doors. Just wanted to see if that is truly the case.

I may not be an audiophile, but I have never noticed enough difference between the Levinson and standard sound system to justify the higher price.

Tom

I'm somewhat of an audiophile and there is a marked difference between the std package and the ML sound system. It's definitely worth the upgrade if you enjoy music. Even if you are not attune to the differences, you will at least have the occasional WOW experience where you are surprised at how REAL the music sounds.

If you are attuned to it, it becomes a true pleasure to listen to accurately reproduced renditions of your favorite artists.

The sound stage (your imaginary view of the performers on stage at a live event) is more defined, present and higher up on the dash so that it seems more realistic. The frequency response is flat and extends higher and much deeper with the ML over the std. And best of all there is much more power so that at real listening volumes you get clear undistorted sound. On a std unit you have the same listening level you will suffer fatiguing distortion. You can still recognize the music, but it literally hurts to listen to it.

Once you've heard music accurately, you will not want to go back, so be warned. It's an expensive addiction.

Was at a northern California dealer the other night checking out the new 2008 RX400s. The manager told me that they are ordering only a limited number of the ML packages because there is no consumer demand. The extra $1500 is an issue for many consumers. Just too expensive.

Was at a northern California dealer the other night checking out the new 2008 RX400s. The manager told me that they are ordering only a limited number of the ML packages because there is no consumer demand. The extra $1500 is an issue for many consumers. Just too expensive.

Hmm... can this be installed at the dealer? (or would that cost be prohibitive...).

I can appreciate skyfish400h's comments above in particular with the RX since it is such a quiet

vehicle. The quality might be very much noticed by someone finicky about sound.

Are there other aftermarket systems that are equal or better than the ML system?

Sometimes you can be surprised. I have a little fun car (Old Miata) in which I literally fried the

radio (yes, with smoke and everything!). I replaced it with a mid-range Panasonic head unit and am

amazed at how it sounds. Crisp, clear, and powerful (wether Jazz or Rock, etc) even with the

top down at 70+MPH with the foot into the supercharger. (not with the factory speakers...)

Also, I just looked at Edmands.com and saw the ML system at $980.00

/Steve

Hmm... can this be installed at the dealer? (or would that cost be prohibitive...).

I can appreciate skyfish400h's comments above in particular with the RX since it is such a quiet

vehicle. The quality might be very much noticed by someone finicky about sound.

Are there other aftermarket systems that are equal or better than the ML system?

Sometimes you can be surprised. I have a little fun car (Old Miata) in which I literally fried the

radio (yes, with smoke and everything!). I replaced it with a mid-range Panasonic head unit and am

amazed at how it sounds. Crisp, clear, and powerful (wether Jazz or Rock, etc) even with the

top down at 70+MPH with the foot into the supercharger. (not with the factory speakers...)

Also, I just looked at Edmands.com and saw the ML system at $980.00

/Steve

Dealer or DIY install would be difficult if not impossible due to the addtional speakers and amps that come with the ML. Probably a different wire harness too. Better to get it from the factory. It's definitly not a plug and play thing.

As for aftermarket, untill someone makes an adapter for the funky dashboard shape and knob position, a std DIN size or double DIN head unit is not going to look very good.

• 2 months later...
Just heard that Lexus is no longer offering the Levinson sound package in new RX 400h vehicles. Can anyone confirm this or tell me that I have things upside down??

Fenton House

I just picked up a matador red with black inside with ML stereo. My 06 didn't have ML and the new car sound is 1000 times better. I located the truck 500 miles away and had it shipped to my dealer. Don't settle for one without ML. You will be sorry.

William Kayen

A little off topic, however with the Levinson package, when you fade to the rear speakers, is there no bass present? We checked with the dealer and they said that the woofers are only in the front doors. Just wanted to see if that is truly the case.

Yes, you're absolutely correct. The rear door drivers are what Lexus calls "mid-bass" and it appears that the bass frequencies have been rolled off on these.

I'd agree that there's a noticeable difference between the ML and std sound package, but I'm definitely not impressed with the ML in the RX400h- Definitely not a WOW experience. Bass is very thin (no built-in subwoofer in a sound system this expensive is criminal), and the imaging sounds far too massaged and contrived. ML does too much electronic processing "fanciness" that detracts from a realistic sound. in my opinion.

My experience with the ML sound system;

Pro:

Sound quality is significantly better than std system.

Sound imaging adjustment, driver, front, rear, all is a big help when I'm driving with people (all) or driving alone (driver)

Ability to hear nuances at low or high volumes is exceptionally pleasant.

Con:

no iPod connection in my 2006 R400h!!@

does not play mp3 CD's

has a cassette player (obsolete)

the system feels like it was designed for someone living in the '90s, it doesn't have a modern feel to it.

I really enjoy my hybrid luxury SUV but the Mark Levenson sound system was a big disappointment. The car is so modern and advanced in most respects, but the ML system feels antiquated. It was a 'let down'.

arg why can't we in the northeast get the ML system in our cars!?!? :(

You can all you have to do is a special order, and only order the exact options you want. I ordered mine on Dec, 1st and it is supposed to be here around the end of February, 08.

I ordered everything just like they are normally equipped in the northeast with Navigation, Mark Levinson, premium plus package, wood trim, heated seats, rain sensing wipers, towing prep and 18" alloys.

I also got a nice discount off of MSRP but did have to put down a 10% deposit.

:whistles:

You can all you have to do is a special order, and only order the exact options you want. I ordered mine on Dec, 1st and it is supposed to be here around the end of February, 08.

I ordered everything just like they are normally equipped in the northeast with Navigation, Mark Levinson, premium plus package, wood trim, heated seats, rain sensing wipers, towing prep and 18" alloys.

yea but your in ohio, anyone in the NYC area doesn't even have access to the ML equipped RX400h's. They said it would require a 6 month delay which is ridiculous

yea but your in ohio, anyone in the NYC area doesn't even have access to the ML equipped RX400h's. They said it would require a 6 month delay which is ridiculous

Oh I did not know that, that is ridiculous. Is the demand for the RX00h that high in NY? My understanding here is that my three month wait is from order to actually build and deliver. What do you have to pay in NY are they charging a premium due to high demand too?

:wacko:

Merry Christmas