Ps Fluid Disappearing And Smoke From Exhaust

lexus400

My car is going through a lot of PS fluid but no visible leaks. It's a '91 with 180k and about 75k on a rblt pump. I'm also getting a huge amount of smoke through the exhaust which has never happened before (when first started).

Isn't there a check valve or something that fails that causes this exact problem? I seem to recall reading about this at one point.

Any thoughts?

thanks,

Bob

Does anyone know the part# or have a description? I can't seem to find it with the search.

thanks

The part number for the valve (air control valve) is 17630-16040. It should cost about $70.00 and should be available at any Lexus or Toyota dealer.

You can check for leakage in this valve by detaching the two hoses that run from the valve at the nipples where they attach to the air intake and manifold. Seal off the ends of the hoses by putting a screw or something similar into them. You would also need to seal off the two points where they attach to the air intake and engine. You will not do any harm by trying this for a few days. You might not even notice a difference in the car's operation.

There ya go brotha man

I replaced mine this last February. I did not have much luck on line for this part so I went to the dealer.

Part #: LE17630-16040

Desc.: Valve Assy, Air C

List price: $113.45

I asked the parts guy for a break on the price and he asked me why? I told him that I was a working stiff just like him trying to keep my car running and at the same time giving Lexus a good name by keeping a 92 LS400 on the road. The Guy sold the part to me for $88.06

Good luck.

I bought my 94LS a couple of years ago, and was baffled by a serious loss of P/S fluid. After finding out through this forum about the air control valve problem, I replaced it for 80 bucks, and the problem went away. Plus I noticed that the P/S fluid was remarkably red-clean-to this day. So I think that the loss of fluid, resulting in continual "top-offs" actually helped the pump by keeping the fluid "new". The LS still runs great-only 114K miles. Best of luck.

i replaced my ls400 ps pump with an SC400 one without that problematic valve. there is no difference before and after the repalcement, steering wheel dead end wont decrease rev noticeably. Driving feel is now even better.

i would think we should "delete" the valve to avoid any future issue to your steering system.

I pulled the hoses off the the valve on my 96 LS400 and plugged them. (I have a small PS fluid leak and I was checking my valve condition.)

The only difference that I noticed is that the idle speed of the engine drops a little when you turn the wheel.

(The purpose of the valve is to compensate for steering load at idle.) If you can live with that, it's no big deal.

However, pulling and plugging the hoses will not cure the fundamental problem, a rupture of the air control valve diaphram that is allowing oil to enter the hoses and be sucked into the engine.

You have two choices...replace the valve...or remove it and plug the hole in the pump and plug the hoses.