Door Speakers

charlesranderson

Love my recently acquired 1991 LS400, but am having to do a little repair or two. I am impressed with the Nakamichi sound system, although three of the 4 door speakers seem to be out. In as much as I understand that the 4 inch speakers are a little on the small side, and in as much as I am good with aftermarkets instead of replacing the original Nakamichi's, has anyone done this and can they recommend a speaker model and brand that fits right in and gives good sound quality?

post-53431-1191776295_thumb.jpg

Yes, they were 4" speakers... I considered getting bigger ones, but did not want to mess with making them fit. Other than the crossover issue I mentioned, it was a pretty much plug and play job... plus it made a world of difference having all four speakers work! One of these days I want to replace the sub, too....

Love my recently acquired 1991 LS400, but am having to do a little repair or two. I am impressed with the Nakamichi sound system, although three of the 4 door speakers seem to be out. In as much as I understand that the 4 inch speakers are a little on the small side, and in as much as I am good with aftermarkets instead of replacing the original Nakamichi's, has anyone done this and can they recommend a speaker model and brand that fits right in and gives good sound quality?

I just got infinity's - 42.7i but probably should have just went with the 4022i since they don't have a separate crossover.

Are the Naka speakers individually amplified? thought I saw a set on Ebay that stated such.Might check on wether the amps are working if that is the case. 4 inch is not small if the speakers/enclosures are engineered correctly. Ever hear Bose AM-5's? Small speakers, smallish sub, big sound. And the sub is a free air sub, would a reflex sub be any better?

There does not appear to be a separate amp--I understand it is usually located next to the sub on the rear deck.

\

\

Are the Naka speakers individually amplified? thought I saw a set on Ebay that stated such.Might check on wether the amps are working if that is the case. 4 inch is not small if the speakers/enclosures are engineered correctly. Ever hear Bose AM-5's? Small speakers, smallish sub, big sound. And the sub is a free air sub, would a reflex sub be any better?

post-53431-1192065561_thumb.jpg