High-pitch Noise From New Brakes

wandawoods

94 LS400

have my brake serviced at Midas about 10 days ago.

the works were:

all 4 pad changed, two new rear rotors, two front rotors machined, changed out a jammed bolt at one front caliper.

since these were done, they make pretty annoying high-pitch noise at the end of braking right before the car completely stops.

Midas says it's normal in 'break-in' period of new brakes. is there any truth to that?

i dont think so. i have the same problem and i changed my brakes 3 months ago....... i still have this annoying sound every time i brake. i dont know what to do myself.

hmmm.....

did you do the work yourself? if not, what did your mechanic say?

i have the OEM brakes and pads. i got this after 2 weeks of the change. i came to complain and mechanic just suurfaced the rotor again. but it didnt resolve the problem and he gave up. even the brake quiet spray didnt help. what i think is they missed a little spring or whatever it called it looks smth liek this /\ and it supposed to go after the pad. i forgot what its called. and i think its vital to elimintate this noise.

you normally do not need or shouldn't add the brake squeal to the shims as that is what they are for

depending on the noise it may be the new brakes are not being seated properly first for long enough when new

causeing th brake pads to glaze making a noise when lightly applied but it disappears when pressed hard

i got 1200 miles. the noise is still there......

let me know how its gonna work for u. i also noticed that if its really humid outside (e.g. after the rain) when the car was standing outside for a period of time. brakes make some kind of strange noise when i apply them for the first tme. i dont know if its normal. if its gonna continue like this i will just switch to professional brembo equipment.

vmf that strange noise is the rust on the rotors from moisture

nothing out of the norm

it is just scrapping the junk off the rotor after being wet

now to the constant new noise

the noise will be there if there is no squel shims are reinstalled

basically they are a thin metal plate that goes in bettween the calpier and the brake pad

it keeps the brake pad straight

if they took them off and never reinstalled tehm

then that is the reason for the squealling

it would take a few hard stops to start glazing a pad a nd rotor to get a squeal

just look at the wheel and se if you can se the caliper

when looking at it there should be a little peice of metal preventing you from directly seeing the brake pad which are usually coloured or some sort

if you see the metal shim then it is ok

as there are usually 2 small gaps on the outside to look at the pad from outside of the wheel

OEM Lexus brake pads use two shims on each side of a brake pad. Some aftermarket pads use only one. I also think what VMF said about leaving off parts might have something to do with it. The part he described is a wear indicator.

They shouldn't squeel, mine never do.