Es 300 No Start; Click-click-click

Esmark

Well, not even 2 weeks after I bought it, my 1997 ES 300 won't start. Was running fine up until now.

When I try to start it, I get a machine gun like clicking. Engine doesn't catch. Is this a starter issue? Any ideas from folks on solutions or things I can try? After all the adventures with my Mazda 626, I bought the Lex for reliability. Geesh.

Anyone with suggestions or ideas? I'm not a mechanic but it'd be good to know what I might be up against.

Thanks in advance!

Well, not even 2 weeks after I bought it, my 1997 ES 300 won't start. Was running fine up until now.

When I try to start it, I get a machine gun like clicking. Engine doesn't catch. Is this a starter issue? Any ideas from folks on solutions or things I can try? After all the adventures with my Mazda 626, I bought the Lex for reliability. Geesh.

Anyone with suggestions or ideas? I'm not a mechanic but it'd be good to know what I might be up against.

Thanks in advance!

Does it start when you jump the battery? If so, it's probably as simple as a bad battery. Other possibilities are bad alternator or bad solenoid.

I'd try jumping it first. Then, drive it to a shop - they'll run a routine charging/battery test that will tell you exactly what the problem is.

If it's on the original battery, that wouldn't be at all unlikely after 7 years.

if it clicks once it is the battery or the starter

if it dose it mulitple times

it is more than likely a power problem

either there is some kind of drain on the battery when parked ( like a light )

or the battery is history

Thing is, I have full power everywhere else. Lights, alarm, etc. all work. So I don't think it's a battery thing. The multiple click machine gun-like sound when I try to start is, I think, the battery trying to get the engine to catch but the engine isn't turning over at all. Does that sound like a starter problem? I'm pretty far out of my league here. :(

Thanks again.

You might have enough power for your lights, alarm etc., but it still could be a defective battery because the starter draws considerable amperage that this battery might not be able to provide. If you have a DC Voltmeter the normal battery voltage should read approximately 12.6 volts at rest and when you try starting the engine the voltage shouldn't read below approximately 9.0 volts. If you can't do this yourself bring it to a repair shop that has a battery load tester.

Ok i got a 97 ES300 and I had the same exact Problem, and I mean EXACTLY. Its your alternator. 100% sure , no ifs ands or buts. Your alternator has a dead spot in it, take it to mechanic. I had my car fixed a couple months back for the EXACT SAME THING

I had the same problem,

I was routing a wire for my new Sirius radio in my 97 ES300, and I was in there too long with the lights and radio on (I'm an idiot, I know) and when I went to start it after all was back in order, I just heard this horrible tick tick tick sound. Tried to jump it, and it stayed the same (I've only had the car for 2 weeks, So I didnt know the procedure to jump the car was different from my old one, where you place the black jumper) Once I looked at the manual and jumped it as it detailed, everything was back to normal. Just sharing so you can make sure you were jumping it properly!

-Sean

Just wanted to send a quick note of thanks to everybody who has replied. I'll try jumping the car tomorrow (carefully following the instructions in the owners manual). If that doesn't work, I'll have it towed to the shop. I'll post again once I have a firm diagnosis from the mechanic.

im betting on a dead battery!like amf1932 said just because you have lights doesnt mean the battery is fine!the starter needs more juice then lights do to start the car so my guess is its a bad battery or something is draining the battery like the alternator or a light.sevral possibalitys but first check the battery. :D

Those who guessed bad battery are the winners for this round. Did a jump start and it fired up. Drove it to a mechanic who tested the battery. It was kaput. (It was also the original 1997 Lexus battery which is pretty impressive really. That's got to be a lot of start-ups between 1997 and 2003.) It pulled enough amps to run all the other electrical systems but not enough to start the car. Now with new battery, the Lexus is running fine!

Thank you to everyone who responded! I'm happy to be on the road again! :)

i would of won my bet!!hehe.glad to help and glad to see all it was,was a dead battery and nothing major! :D

Sure, but I guessed first..... :P

By the way, in case the original poster is interested, what's happening is that when you turn the switch, several things are happening. First, the solenoid (an electromagnet) energizes and pulls the starter gear into place where it can turn the engine. Then the starter motor turns.

The solenoid draws a huge amount of power - since it's pulling against a strong spring which yanks the gear back after the car kicks over. You had enough juice to start to engage the solenoid, but as soon as it pulled into place, the battery said "that's enough work for now" and the voltage dropped. The solenoid let go and the spring pulled the gear back. There was enough juice to repeat the process several times - which is why you had multiple clicks.