Brake Dust

I guess we need to define "performance" expectations. I just have to remind myself that I'm driving a Lexus IS, not a Porsche GT2.

Here's an honest question: If the anti-lock braking system kicks in during a panic stop, doesn't that mean that you are getting the maximum coeffecient of friction anyway? Regardless if they are "performance" pads or "dust-free" pads? Maybe the performance pads lock up quicker (time it takes from starting to brake to the point the computer engages the antilock)?

Unfortunately (or fortunately), I don't take my Lexus to track days. Brake fade is not an issue for me (dirty wheels were).

Well said!

The brake pad TSB has been the best thing I've done to my IS. :cheers:

I recently went to a LEXUS dealer for my 1st maintenance/oil change/etc.

I told them about the DUST [its just tooo much of a hassle]. and said that they will replace the old one... btw i got 3800miles on mine for 3 mos.

Then, I got a call from them telling me that they dont have any available BRAKE PADS that will produce less dust for 08's.

what you guys think????

• 1 month later...
Reasons Lexus would continue to use the dirty pad-

A) It's cheaper (and most people don't know about TSIBs to ask for the others)

B) They have a bunch of them already paid for and want to burn through them

I dunno if either is true, but both would be perfectly valid reasons they might still be using the "dirty" pads on new ISes even if the "clean" pads work just as well.

WHAT IS A TSIB?

I just had my 06 done last week. I'm very happy with the change. It's a lot less dust. The service guy told me, winking, that I had to complain that they were squealing bad. So he wrote that on the sheet. They actually replaced my rotors too. I have 40k miles and hey had worn down some. They wrote on the sheet that they were too worn down to turn. So I picked me up a pair of them for free also.

Right result, wrong way to get there. The TSIB is for brake dust, not brake squeak. They have to replace them for free per the TSIB, no matter whether they squeak or are worn down, or are brand new. Only need the customer to compain about brake dust.

WILL THEY CHANGE THE PADS NO MATTER HOW LONG IT'S BEEN SINCE YOU PURCHASED THE CAR? I'VE HAD MINE FOR A YEAR AND A HALF. DOES IT MATTER? IS THERE AN EXPIRATION DATE on this?