2000 Es300 Transmission Problem

mlgibbs

I have a 2000 Lexus ES300 Platinum edition. I have done all the maintainence and have kept meticulous records. My

problem is that my car is not shifting into overdrive. It will shift into overdrive once or twice after it has been cut off and

recranked. I know that this is an electronic transmission and there is either a bad control board, or bad sensor in the system

can anyone give me some guidance. At about 65K miles the Trac Off, Check engine light came on and has stayed on ever since.

The car currently has 134K miles. Any idea which sensor or sensors may be failing or if there is a reset proceedure I can perform.

Thanks

Mike Gibbs

gibb7440@bellsouth.net

No sense guessing what sensor is defective since there are too many. The check engine light is on so there definitely is a problem. You should bring your car to a Lexus dealer or somebody that is qualified and have them check this out with a code reader to determine what's at fault.

TRAC OFF AND CEL may indicate that the car has gone into a security mode or "safe" mode if you will. Speed and many other functions are retarded or eliminated all together. Have it checked out.

Get the codes read.

If it is not shifting into overdrive, it may be the torque converter lock up switch.

steviej

Mike,

Take your car to a Lexus dealer and have the car serviced. They have the proper tools/equipment to fix your car. I noticed that you have 134K on your car and it is a 2000 model. That is a lot of driving in just a few short years. One more thing, some people have written to the list saying that the transmissions in the ES 300 usually do not last more than 150K. You may want to consider having the transmission replaced, depending on what the dealer says when you take it in for service. Or, you could trade up and get a new ES 300. That option may not help you very much. I can tell you from experience that the transmissions in the new ES 300 have some "challenges" of there own.

Good luck,

J. Lexicon