Cheapest Place For Rx400h Cabin Air Filter?

We keep getting this terrible moldy musty smell from the HVAC vents. The dealer sprayed some antifungal stuff on it a month ago but that only lasted a few days.

So I guess we need to replace the cabin air filter. It's an '06 RX400h - where can I get one cheap???

Try the WIX filter website. Remember that NAPA filters are WIX filters without the first number so any NAPA dealer should be able to get the filter you are looking for. They have the oil, air, and cabin filters for an 08 RX350 so they should have one for your RX400h.

http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/index.asp

NAPA is having a 25% off sale this weekend so now is the time.

Hello: You can go to Builders Square or Home Depot and buy a carbon activated ac filter and cut it to specifications use duct tape and presto you are are ready.

CPR

We keep getting this terrible moldy musty smell from the HVAC vents. The dealer sprayed some antifungal stuff on it a month ago but that only lasted a few days.

So I guess we need to replace the cabin air filter. It's an '06 RX400h - where can I get one cheap???

That's about what I did for my Porsche cabin air filter. I bought a HEPA filter from Home Depot and cut it to fit. Somewhat cheaper than Porsche price of $47 each. (two required.)

Tom

w@onton,

Do you turn the A/C compressor off a minute or so and let the HVAC system run in "fan only" mode before shutting the engine off? Is it even possible to do that on a RX400h?

I've been doing that FOREVER in air-conditioned vehicles and have never had a problem with a mildew/musty smell. Well, except for the few times I did not shut off the compressor as mentioned.

To get a more firm idea, background, about this problem go to airsept.com and read about their EED, Electronic Evaporator Dryer.

Or google for:

wwest demist

The simplest solution is to leave your windows down slightly in the garage each and every night.

That's about what I did for my Porsche cabin air filter. I bought a HEPA filter from Home Depot and cut it to fit. Somewhat cheaper than Porsche price of $47 each. (two required.)

Tom

"two required.."

Oops...where is the second one?

snip

The simplest solution is to leave your windows down slightly in the garage each and every night.

Presumes the garage isn't already too full to keep the 400h there ... or that everyone has a garage. Something about having to rescue the manufacturer by doing stuff as a work around for their poor design that just doesn't seem right. On a good note though, the link above for the CABIN air filter, is also a great place to get you ENGINE air filter, too.

Don't forget to change it too, folks, as they can really load up, and decrease mpg.

As for the mold smell, we found an aerosol made in the UK (wish I could remember the name of it) that really works well. It not only kills mold growth for 6 months, but dust mites as well. Kind of over priced, but worth it because it works well, and for a long time.

Tom

"two required.."

Sorry, that's two for my Porsche 968, not my RX.

Tom

I always liked the 968. As a kid I loved the 944, and the better headlights on the 968 really updated the look. Nice car! Is it cabrio or hardtop?

Back to the air filter, I may try leaving a window cracked. It's obvious that NOT doing that is creating a stinky science experiment in the freaking filter.

snip

Presumes the garage isn't already too full to keep the 400h there ... or that everyone has a garage. Something about having to rescue the manufacturer by doing stuff as a work around for their poor design that just doesn't seem right. On a good note though, the link above for the CABIN air filter, is also a great place to get you ENGINE air filter, too.

Don't forget to change it too, folks, as they can really load up, and decrease mpg.

As for the mold smell, we found an aerosol made in the UK (wish I could remember the name of it) that really works well. It not only kills mold growth for 6 months, but dust mites as well. Kind of over priced, but worth it because it works well, and for a long time.

Be extremely carefull about what you spray into the A/C intake airflow ducts, it might be detrimental to human life also as was the spray Lexus used to use as a matter of course for this reason.

Tom

"two required.."

Sorry, that's two for my Porsche 968, not my RX.

Tom

I was/am concerned that the little green car pictured on your left might need a second filter that I am not aware of...

I always liked the 968. As a kid I loved the 944, and the better headlights on the 968 really updated the look. Nice car! Is it cabrio or hardtop?

Back to the air filter, I may try leaving a window cracked. It's obvious that NOT doing that is creating a stinky science experiment in the freaking filter.

It isn't the "freaking" filter, it's the A/C cooling evaporator core itself.

As the A/C operates condensation is continuously forming on the ~33F evaporator core ("today's" TIGHTLY woven evaporator core, think SPONGE). When you shut down the A/C at the end of the day the evaporator vane surfaces, all ~10,000 square inches thereof, will remain covered with a thin film of moisture that may take hours to evaporator from those surfaces. Once it evaporates, and with no place to "go" (no convection or forced airflow) it will simply remain in the A/C plenum and provide a STELLAR dark, damp & dank breeding evironment forf the microbes that provide the excrements that become the source of that horrid dirty gym socks odor.

Some manufacturers are today coating the evaporator surface area with a thin porus film into which is embedded an anti-microbial chemical. The problem is that once the chemical is used up, "leaches" out of those pores, the pores themselves help with the SPONGE effect. Be careful of a car that fogs over the interior surface of the windshield early in the drive on a coolish morning, that's a "CLEAR" (pun fully intended) indication of a sponge-like evaporator core that has retained moisture overnight.

The successful way to rid of the "moldy" and / or "musty" smell is quiet simple. Keep in mind, that if you are using the AC, to turn it off a minute or so before reaching your destination. The element in which air is blown through and "chilled" (evaporator core) will collect moisture when turned off in very hot weather. This cycling (stop and go driving with ac on) will repeat itself and within a very short time (due to lack of air circulation around the core, to dry it off) causes mold and bacteria to form (hence the foul smell). To inhibit this from happening, remember to turn the AC off and allow for the air blowing through the evaporator core to bring down the temperature, hence discouraging the moisture and hence mold to form.

Cheers,

MadloR

The successful way to rid of the "moldy" and / or "musty" smell is quiet simple. Keep in mind, that if you are using the AC, to turn it off a minute or so before reaching your destination. The element in which air is blown through and "chilled" (evaporator core) will collect moisture when turned off in very hot weather. This cycling (stop and go driving with ac on) will repeat itself and within a very short time (due to lack of air circulation around the core, to dry it off) causes mold and bacteria to form (hence the foul smell). To inhibit this from happening, remember to turn the AC off and allow for the air blowing through the evaporator core to bring down the temperature, hence discouraging the moisture and hence mold to form.

Cheers,

MadloR

Due mostly to space limitations under the dash of modern day vehicles the A/C cooling evaporator core has become a VERY dense and complex assembly, 10,000 square inches of cooling vane surface area is typical. Most systems today operate the evaporator very close to the point of freezing the condensate that accumulates thereon during operation. Put an ice cube out on table in hot weather and force a goodly level of warm airflow over it.

How long does it take to melt.

Even if you turned your A/C off 10-15 minutes before parking the car for the day, turned the system to "fresh" mode if necessary, and the blower up to maximum, you would still have no assurance of a dry plenum upon arrival. And in the meantime you would suffer through a LOT of very HUMID system airflow.

wwest,

Well, all I can say is that MadloR's method, which I have practiced since owning vehicles with A/C, still works for my '04 Maxima and '04 Sienna. I'm hoping that it works for the 400h, also.

You're right about the humid air effect, though - drives my wife NUTZ!

I was/am concerned that the little green car pictured on your left might need a second filter that I am not aware of...

WW, I haven't owned a 911 in many years so I don't remember where the cabin air filter(s) is/are. On the 968 they are under the black plastic cover forward of the wiper blades. Some 968 seem to have two and others none, depending production date and year.

Tom

The method I have mentioned above works on every single vehicle I have owned, including my last Toyota Product, a 1994 MR2 Turbo (tried ordering it without AC to no avail, even though they were available without).

My M5 began to suffer a similar fate until I started doing the same, turning off the AC a couple of minutes before arriving to my destination. As well, I also open up my drivers window in the process allowing for any additional musty "backwash" hehehe air, to escape.

So far so good, the 400h has worked flawlessly, utilising the same method. No more musty foul smell emanating from the air ducts, and YES, it only takes a couple of minutes.

Cheers,

MadloR

The method I have mentioned above works on every single vehicle I have owned, including my last Toyota Product, a 1994 MR2 Turbo (tried ordering it without AC to no avail, even though they were available without).

My M5 began to suffer a similar fate until I started doing the same, turning off the AC a couple of minutes before arriving to my destination. As well, I also open up my drivers window in the process allowing for any additional musty "backwash" hehehe air, to escape.

So far so good, the 400h has worked flawlessly, utilising the same method. No more musty foul smell emanating from the air ducts, and YES, it only takes a couple of minutes.

Cheers,

MadloR

That's great if you don't mind working the windows and changing A/C to vent settings. We found this aerosol in the U.K. that we douse all over the cooling area and the filter. Only need to spray every 6 months. Other than spritzing the system 2x a year, no more problem.

post-32883-1192466575_thumb.jpg

Sure wish they sold in here in the U.S. so shipping would be less ... but it's still worth it to not have to constantly fiddle A/C settings and such.

Someone, have you looked at the active ingredients in Total Hygiene to see if it can be duplicated with another product?

Tom

Active ingredient(s) (anti-microbials) may not be available "over-the-counter" in the US...

Keep in mind that you and your's will be breathing the fumes from this for a long time.