Max Power The Is300 Auto Tranny Can Hold?

toyota_f1

Just got into an '01 IS300 with everything but Nav... I like the car quite a bit but wondering how much the auto tranny can reliably hold before it has issues. I know on my old 3rd Gen Supra turbo it was about 300 whp before it gave up... similar here?

If I could have found a manual in my area for the price I would have snagged it but it just wasn't an option so I'm stuck with what I have. Thanks for any input all!

Thanks!

Isaac.

2007 Scion tC

2001 Lexus IS300

2001 Toyota RAV4

1992 Lexus LS400

1992 Toyota Camry XLE V6

1987 Toyota MR2

Just got into an '01 IS300 with everything but Nav... I like the car quite a bit but wondering how much the auto tranny can reliably hold before it has issues. I know on my old 3rd Gen Supra turbo it was about 300 whp before it gave up... similar here?

If I could have found a manual in my area for the price I would have snagged it but it just wasn't an option so I'm stuck with what I have. Thanks for any input all!

Thanks!

Isaac.

2007 Scion tC

2001 Lexus IS300

2001 Toyota RAV4

1992 Lexus LS400

1992 Toyota Camry XLE V6

1987 Toyota MR2

The auto will hold about 400 crank HP. But I have a buddy pushing 435 rwhp on a stock auto now fo 2 years with no problems. The stock manual trannys are actually weaker than the autos.

Thanks for the quick reply. I didn't want to start making a list of goodies before knowing the tranny would hold up. Figured that would be around in a post or in a FAQ somewhere but never really saw it from what I looked at.

Thanks!

Isaac.

2007 Scion tC

2001 Lexus IS300

2001 Toyota RAV4

1992 Lexus LS400

1992 Toyota Camry XLE V6

1987 Toyota MR2

• 2 months later...

400RWHP, I get 380RWHP, with the supra swap and just an AEM Computer at 16 pounds, then in the track, we raise 18.5 pounds and the tranny break down. If you change it to manual, the 5 speed just hold 600RWHP. now I have 520RWHP, with a manual 1JZ tranny, with the supra housing, and I´m having issues, so I already order a 6speed Japanese Supra, that holds 1000HP. If you can go with the 6speed, don´t waste time and money. like I did. Go to Titan motorsport and ask some advise about the 6speed swap.

Thanks!

Isaac.

2007 Scion tC

2001 Lexus IS300

2001 Toyota RAV4

1992 Lexus LS400

1992 Toyota Camry XLE V6

1987 Toyota MR2

400RWHP, I get 380RWHP, with the supra swap and just an AEM Computer at 16 pounds, then in the track, we raise 18.5 pounds and the tranny break down. If you change it to manual, the 5 speed just hold 600RWHP. now I have 520RWHP, with a manual 1JZ tranny, with the supra housing, and I´m having issues, so I already order a 6speed Japanese Supra, that holds 1000HP. If you can go with the 6speed, don´t waste time and money. like I did. Go to Titan motorsport and ask some advise about the 6speed swap.

Thanks!

Isaac.

2007 Scion tC

2001 Lexus IS300

2001 Toyota RAV4

1992 Lexus LS400

1992 Toyota Camry XLE V6

1987 Toyota MR2

Ok, let's keep something clear, your talking about the track. And, actually if your looking to push alot of hp for drag racing, then manual is a terrible idea. I would go with a 2 speed or 3 speed sludge monsters for that. Auto trannies are way faster in time slips. All the top fuel guys use autos.

Also, what exactly did you do to your tranny to get it race ready? Upgrade the valvebody and what else?

If your talking about road racing and track times, then yes, the manual transmission is a better way to go as you get more control over the engine power band, and revs going into and exiting corners. BUT, even they are moving over to the direct lock auto transmissions with paddle shift controls.

And, for the 10 thousand + dollars your gonna spend on the GETRAG V160, then you might wanna check into that.

As far as Titan Motors, they are right down the street from me. Iv'e gone there several times and quite frankly, IMHO, they didn't impress me at all. I know they have alot of experience with the Toyo motors, but most of those guys don't work there anymore, and they are focused on product sales from thier website more than anything else now.