Avic D3

kimkylejay

Hi, does anyone no how to take out the rear parcel shelf on the lexus is 300 so i can remove the speakers. It looks like to start you have to drop the back seat but i am even having problems doing this. I want to replace the existing speakers with some 200 watt kenwoods. Looking at whats their it looks like it should be possible to mount my speaker into the existing holes and use the original Lexus speaker covers to hide them. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rear Seat Bottom:

You would have to first remove the bottom portion of the rear seat. It is simply held in by two pop-in retainer clips; one on either side. Lift up on each corner of the bottom seat until it pops out of its retainer clips.

Rear Seat Back:

Once the bottom of the rear seat is out the back of the seat is next. It's easy to unbolt but hard to get out. Unbolt the four bolts located on the bottom of the seat holding it in place. Some people unbolt the seatbelt clips. I did not. The seat is held in place by clips on the top of the seat that slide in to place downward when putting the seat back on which means to get it off, you need to lift, rather hard I must say, to raise these clips up and over their retainers. You can remove the headrests if you think it'll make matters easier.

Rear Deck Lid:

The deck is a pain in the !Removed! to both remove and reinstall. It is held in place by two different means. First remove the covers to the three tiedowns on the deck lid and unbolt them. This might also be a good time to make sure the seat belts are out of the lid fabric and hanging below it. Second, and this is the pain, you need to unclip the sides of the deck lid. The lid has four slots, two on each side. Into these slots slide plastic tabs that are connected to the car on each side. I removed the tabs a pretty dirty way, I used a screwdriver to weasel my way under them and pull the lid out. It took a little while but I got them out. The deck lid now just slides out once you unplug the brake light.

Good Luck.

I just have a question for you. Correct me if im wrong but does not the Lexus IS300 Have about 230 watt pioneer speakers already, which sound really great. Why do you want to install weaker 200 watt kenwood speakers? If im wrong then are the new pioneer spe :huh: akers more powerful for the new 2003 IS300? or what?

• 1 year later...

There is a much easier way to remove the back deck.

After removing the upper section of the back seat remove the trim pieces that are between the deck and the rear windshield. You can just pull it off.(soimetimes it is hard to get a grip under it.)

Then you just pull of the deck off (unplug the brake light)

Also I've got to say that the speakers in an is300 are 25 watt toyota speakers. They sound good, but not good enough. I don't even want to get into all the modifications I've done to my audio. I don't have a single stock anything.

• 3 months later...

what?

the stock is 300 speakers are only 25 watt toyota speakers?

i just bought me a 01 is 300 and looked underneath, i did see the "toyota" on the speakers, but wasnt thinking much about how much wattage they had. so far they sound 'ok'......but i must say that they kinda suck.lol. i'm planning on getting me new speakers anyways.

I'm clueless when it comes do speakers of any kind. I think one of my rear speakers in my '01 IS300 is blown and am wondering what to replace them with. What size and brand are good to replace with that are relatively cost effective?

Thanks.

Most any stock stereo system is mediocre at best. Top line stereo equipment includes speakers with polypropeline surrounds (as opposed to the foam found on even Lexus's or BMWs). Polyprop is more durable to the extreme temperature changes your car goes through, not to mention it's more plyable and makes for better sounding speakers all together.

And what really matters in a good stereo, whether home or car, is amplification. Bottom line, no stock system has it (when I say amplification, think big, beefy amplifiers). The stock system in a typical IS 300 might have a small external power amp somewhere in the trunk or dashboard. But it's no more powerfull than a clock radio. A stock amp is usually rated somewhere between 10-30 watts RMS/channel. Good aftermarket amps START at 40 watts RMS/channel, and go up from there depending on how much you want to spend. Now, run a couple of those (I would say get two 4 channel amps and bridge them down to 2), one for the fronts, and one for the rears, and NOW you have a decent system.

And we haven't even gotten to head units or sub woofers :)

• 3 weeks later...

you can say all you want about the system in it but personally i think the stock system in the is sounds really good it bumps a littl ebit and you dont hear all that rattling liek you hear when you put to much power into your car which i personally cant stand. i did want to put subs in my car but realized the stock sytem is already a good system

• 2 months later...
you can say all you want about the system in it but personally i think the stock system in the is sounds really good it bumps a littl ebit and you dont hear all that rattling liek you hear when you put to much power into your car which i personally cant stand.  i did want to put subs in my car but realized the stock sytem is already a good system

Yea, I've been wondering about the stock stereo in the IS. My dad has the Nakamichi upgrade in his ES300, and I heard they don't offer that in the is300. Do they offer some sort of premium sound option in the IS, or are all ISs equipped with the same system from the factory?

• 2 weeks later...

Wait....this does not make sense the lexus is300 does not have 25 watt speakers.......My 2003 IS300 has 230 watt pioneer speakers unless the models before that had 25 watt speakers but there seems to be some confusions. And my 230 watt pioneer speakers are the standard that come with it, not the upgrade. :huh:

• 2 years later...

I think I'm going to order an AVIC D3 off of ebay within the next few days.. but I'm gonna ask for some advice first!

Some are refurbished. Bad choice?

Some are missing a few things. (Most commonly either Nav Discs, GPS antenna, Wiring Harness, or Plastic Stylus) Stay away from those?

Anything else I should look for?

On top of the AVIC I'm gonna get:

L-Tuned Double Din Faceplate

Metra Toyota Interface (TYTO01)

and maybe a screen protector or i-pod connector (although I don't have an ipod... yet. That's another financial adventure.)

Basically I'm just looking for the overall best deal that will work... like everyone else! :P I'm so tired of listening to music through my mp3 player and a tape adaptor. Such a 'ghetto' setup for such a nice car haha.

Thanks guys!

I think I'm going to order an AVIC D3 off of ebay within the next few days.. but I'm gonna ask for some advice first!

Some are missing a few things. (Most commonly either Nav Discs, GPS antenna, Wiring Harness, or Plastic Stylus) Stay away from those?

Anything else I should look for?

On top of the AVIC I'm gonna get:

L-Tuned Double Din Faceplate

Metra Toyota Interface (TYTO01)

and maybe a screen protector or i-pod connector (although I don't have an ipod... yet. That's another financial adventure.)

Basically I'm just looking for the overall best deal that will work... like everyone else! :P I'm so tired of listening to music through my mp3 player and a tape adaptor. Such a 'ghetto' setup for such a nice car haha.

Thanks guys!

Depends on if you still get the warranty. I would call Pioneer to talk to them about it first. I think if you ask them they have alink that they sell theyr'e own refurbs. Might wanna get it direct if you can.
Yes desfinately stay away from these, as they allways are sold as is with no refunds. So if you get it and more than that is missing your SOL. And the NAV discs are a couple hundred by themselves. ( Actually I think theyre 150 ish)

Yeah, get the iPOD adaptor. I love mine. The AVIC is preset for the iPOD. YOu can even download movies and watch them while driving !!!

Well I won a "gently used" AVIC-D3 today for $610 off of E-Bay! It's sold by best-buy, and they'll refund my money if I'm not satisfied of if it doesn't work. Now I get to wait like a giddy kid until it comes in the mail.. and I'll probably be gone on tour when it gets here! haha

Is this the best faceplate option?

0.jpg

I have the seat heater buttons so my interior looks like this (not my car):

01is300_shift.jpg

So I'll have to do some cutting/fitting to make it look stock. I'd rather not relocate buttons :(

Are these faceplates options? Or are they e-bay trash?

okay for some reason i can't get links to work... so here are the item numbers..

faceplate #1 - 140164493655

faceplate #2 - 230179767391

The only reason I ask is that they're soo much cheaper.

Then I'm going to buy the Toyota Interface deal-io.. That's all I need right?

I might need some advice on installing subs in the trunk too. I've got two 10" pioneers just sitting in my room from my old car. Unfortunately, I'm a noob and kinda suck at everything :P

Thanks for any advice/help!

I can email you all the steps for the install and what you need. There are some good pictoral step by steps on MyIS.com also.

Congrats on the AVIC purchase. Dude, your gonna love this thing!!!!

I can email you all the steps for the install and what you need. There are some good pictoral step by steps on MyIS.com also.

yeah i'm pretty excited for it, nooo doubt! this is the writeup I was going to follow: http://www.isfanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230 I think it's the same one that's on my.is. did you use the faceplate i pictured there on yours?

yeah i'm pretty excited for it, nooo doubt! this is the writeup I was going to follow: http://www.isfanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230 I think it's the same one that's on my.is. did you use the faceplate i pictured there on yours?

Yeah, that's a good write up. He did soem things differently than I did. But I'm sure it will get you there.

The face plate you have and the one they used are different than the one I used. I have the heated seat functions also, and I didn't have to touch that button assembly at all. I used a two piece face plate and I wired the ipod into the glove box for safe keeping and so it won't go sliding out when you slam on the gas.

post-42851-1191976888_thumb.jpg post-42851-1191976853_thumb.jpg post-42851-1191976987_thumb.jpg

nice i really like that setup! i was thinking about wiring the ipod up to the glovebox too.. but i don't have an ipod yet so that's gonna be a little bit later. maybe some winter savings :)

I found this as far as intalling that faceplate i posted goes, without moving the seat heater buttons: http://my.is/forums/f103/kenwood-ddx8017-j...ed-tips-263336/

but i'd much rather avoid that all together.. do you remember where you got the two piece face plate? sounds much easier! i haven't ordered the piece yet.

those pictures look great smooth, i'm looking forward to my interior even more now. and being able to listen to CDs finally! :cheers:

this thread ( http://my.is/forums/f103/avic-d3-metra-toy...o-sound-333247/ ) scared me outta buying the metra toyota interface ( http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Metra-Toyot...roductDetail.do )

I know basically nothing about electronics install, and I don't want to spend money on an item that won't connect my AVIC correctly.. Am I worrying over nothing, or is this something to be wary of?

sorry for all the questions :)

this thread ( http://my.is/forums/f103/avic-d3-metra-toy...o-sound-333247/ ) scared me outta buying the metra toyota interface ( http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Metra-Toyot...roductDetail.do )

I know basically nothing about electronics install, and I don't want to spend money on an item that won't connect my AVIC correctly.. Am I worrying over nothing, or is this something to be wary of?

sorry for all the questions :)

The Metra interface doesn't work. You'll need the right one. I'll call my buddy and get you the right part number.

Well, I sort of have "connections" for all the interface equipment. I used to work for a custom audio shop. The owner and I still hang out together.( He likes to come over and eat my food and drink my beer),LOL!!!, anyway, thats where I get my stuff thru. If you need, I could talk to him and get you the right plug and faceplate set up.

Oh, and a quick heads up, make sure you ( DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP!) tape up the edges of the dash with blue painters tape. If you don't, you will completely F**k up the edges of dash. I got lucky, my buddy called me the morning I was getting ready to do the install and he said he was laying on the couch when he suddenly remembered the nightmare he went through on an IS 300 he did awhile back. So he thought he'd call me and give me a warning. So I taped it up and did my install. Later at his shop, he showed me pics of that job, man, I would have been irrate!!! The edges were messed up!!!!

I just went to the links you put up in your post. I see you saw that the Metra doesn't work right.

i was just looking at this yesterday on www.crutchfield.com..... and you can get the setup w/ everything you need and a free backup camera for 899.... i thought that was pretty cool.....

What, no link? No click and go and see what the heck your talking about? LMAO!!!