electrical problems

bob194ever

93 SC 400 has pulsating dash lights when the turn signal is on,hit the brakes radio quits then turns back on,spin the tires on ice (in Canada) engine shuts down,new alternator and battery,ran fine with new battery for 4 days with slight pulsating of dash lights but now problem has become more pronounced.Dealer is doing work and seem to be stumped on problem. :cry:

• 2 months later...

Check all fuses for proper seating in their holders. Clean the battery terminals. Then search for the rogue ground. It may be best to start with the item that seemed to cause the failure but that can be misleading. My previous sc300 cut out all dash power once when I hit the breaks. The fuse for the radio was blown as well as the fuse for the cigarette lighter. My car had some "custom" wiring done by the previous owner. Had to pull the aftermarket radio and found the power for it coming off of the cigarette lighter as well as power from the lighter going to a couple other components. To top it off, the ground on ciggy light was *BLEEP* poor. I had to do some rewiring but after all was done, no more problems.

I can't say definitely what the cause for the two of you is without going into the car. But it is definitely a similar situation. Check all grounds easily visible first related to the accesories that were in use at the time of failure. Something is loose. A fuse or a wire. Clean any degraded connections first and foremost the battery terminals. Then circuits will have to be traced.

Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

You need to check the grounds on this circuit. They have probably corroded or loosened. Get the service manual for your car. I have one at the house but probably can not get access to it. I have a set of manuals for sale as well. If I get a chance I can try to locate the electrical schematic of that circuit. Take it to a sound shop like stereo or alarm installation and tell them when you activate the turn signal that power is lost to various auxillaries. I'm confident it is a grounding issue.

Best of luck. If schematics are desired I may be able to locate some. PM me a fax number. In the future I plan to have a complete manual available.

There was no recall regarding this item. As any electrical circuit ages - connections and contacts degrade. It is a fact of life. Our vehicles are heavily electronic. It kind of comes with the territory. Good trouble shooting will locate the problem. If a multimeter is used at the switch mechanism an open ground should be easily detectable.

Good luck.

• 1 month later...
I have had similar experience with my SC300. It is very intermittent which makes it that much harder to track down. I would be interested if someone has a solution. . . . .

:unsure: I have a 1995 SC300 with 116,000 miles. The electrical system dies intermintently. Sometime when I break, use the turn signal. Other times for no reason. Once the engine quit & I did a manual start while coasting in neutral.

Lexus can't find the short.

Any Luck ?

05/15/03

Engine ground strap being replaced.....lEXUS OF SOUTH ATLANTA IS CHARGING $135.00 FOR THE GROUND STRAP & $350.00 FOR LABOR.........$435.00.

NORMALLY A GROUND STRAP WOULD BE $50.00.............lEXUS MUST MAKE THEIRS OUT OF A COPPER/PLATINUM MIX. :)

A new ground strap fixed the problem.

I have a 1995 SC400 with a similar problem. I have checked grounds until I can't stand it. Lately, my battery has been down, and dealer replaced battery. No problems since - this reinforces my belief that it's a ground issue somewhere.

My problem seems to be worse when the humidity is high - the very worse when I get into the car on a muggy day after working out.

• 3 years later...