'93 Es300 Transmission Housing? Is Cracked. Can I Fix It?

debimarlow

I could use some expertise, please, as I do not have access to a service manual: My 1993 Lexus ES300's transmission has a crack in the housing and is leaking transmission fluid. Easily gotten to through the driver's side front wheelwell's panel you can see this hairline crack rising upward from the center. It looks like a screw, which used to be in the very center of this round housing, has broken off partway down in it's screw hole in the housing.

Anybody seen this before? What did you do? and what can I do? I appreciate any thoughts you have on this, as well, it's my old car that has 270K miles and I'd like it to last forever. Any ideas?

Hi Debi. I'm not familiar with the physical characteristics of the ES transmissions, but depending on what part of the transmission housing, there's a possibility just that part of the housing can be replaced; but it's a labor intensive procedure which I'm sure involves disengaging the motor, exhaust parts, and maybe even other major components that are nearby (like steering or suspension, for example). It could just as easily be irrepairable and you'll have to decide if it's worth replacing the transmission. My guess is the cost if repairable could easily get to $1,000. From what I've read in the past on here, total replacement is not that much more.

Also, I would bet some kind of trauma or stress caused it to crack, so I'd wonder if there's another issue with the car which led to this or if you just ran over something or landed in a huge pot hole recently. Not sure if age/high miles would ever result in a cracked housing under normal conditions.

270k is pretty good on one transmission--so replacement is likely on the horizon, anyway. If repair or replacement are not options, I guess you can keep adding fluid and let it die a slow death. That could mean a couple weeks, a couple years, another 50k miles, who knows? You just wouldn't want to be on the freeway if it decides to check out.

270k is pretty good on one transmission--so replacement is likely on the horizon, anyway.

Sounds bad, doesn't it!?! I wonder if this housing part can be replaced? I'm going to take a picture of the leaking part and post it... someone may have experienced the same problem and have a fix.... (I've gotta figure out how to post a pic, now... it seems there's always something new to figure out!)

Thanks for the post!

Look up and find the title Merry Christmas for service manuals.

THANK YOU, rosie, i've tried to find an online service manual with no luck so thanks for sharing the good news with us "newbies". Thanks to you, too, Santa, for being so kind (all I got last year was a lump of coal as I had been a bad girl!)

Thanks again, rosie!

• 2 weeks later...
I could use some expertise, please, as I do not have access to a service manual: My 1993 Lexus ES300's transmission has a crack in the housing and is leaking transmission fluid. Easily gotten to through the driver's side front wheelwell's panel you can see this hairline crack rising upward from the center. It looks like a screw, which used to be in the very center of this round housing, has broken off partway down in it's screw hole in the housing.

Anybody seen this before? What did you do? and what can I do? I appreciate any thoughts you have on this, as well, it's my old car that has 270K miles and I'd like it to last forever. Any ideas?

Dude i have the exact car, i just supercharged it and put in a jdm cold air intake and last sunday i went to the gas station and the exact same thing happened to me i have 122000 miles though and yeah i know i didnt drop the transmission because when i put in a couple quarts of tranny fluid it'll go into gear but for only like 30 seconds cause the fluid is spraying out my, buddy thinks it might be a leak in the line and i know what your talking about theres like that hole where it leaks from but i think thats like for back up i lost my manual so i dont know if you find anything out let me know cause its just sitting in my driveway right now

The HOUSEING is cracked? how it's a 1/2-3/4" thick aluminum casting... Show me the crack.

If you can clean it entirely of oil & grime in the heat affected zone. You can grind off the sufrace oxide & MIG or TIG weld it back together.

Yes, it's entirely possible to crack the transmission housing. For example, running over a metallic object and dragged it under the transmission. I have heard of it, but not common occurrence. Show us the crack and then will see if it's repairable.

If it's not a long crack, no major chippings involved and the crack is not up to the engine/transmission joint, it can be repaired. The repair process involves removing the pan and spray chemicals inside the transmission to clean out the fluid before welding.

The catch is where do you take your car to have it repair. You need to find a shop that does repairs and welding together, like a muffler/repair place.