What Is This Filter?

nc211

Again, I'm assuming the 4.7 liter engines in the 4Runner and GX are about the same. I'm curious what this filter housing is that I've circled in yellow in the picture? Is it the fuel filter "which would be the easiest fuel filter to replace on earth"?

post-15797-1190903285_thumb.jpg

vacuum surge tank.... interesting. I don't think I've ever seen one before. Can it be cleaned to increase performance? :huh:

• 2 weeks later...
Again, I'm assuming the 4.7 liter engines in the 4Runner and GX are about the same. I'm curious what this filter housing is that I've circled in yellow in the picture? Is it the fuel filter "which would be the easiest fuel filter to replace on earth"?

This is a vacuum surge tank. Its not commonly replaced.

th_10-10-200720023333PM.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

No its not the fuel filter, that line is for the Evaporative Emission control. That circled item is a Vacuum Surge tank (turbo is correct), the line goes up to a Vacuum Switchin Valve (VSV) located above the Vac Surge Tank. The green cape farther down the line is a service port. I think that the fuel filter is located in the fuel tank, attached to the fuel pump assembly.