Creaking Sound Inside 01 Ls430

DobieG

Hello, all!

I'm so glad to be back to these forums. I sold my 99 ES and was using an in-between car (Nissan) for quite a while until I was able to afford my LS430 that I have now...and I love it!

Question:

I recently returned from a 4 week vacation. My car was in a carport the whole time. On my first drive I noticed creaking sounds in the car that appear to be coming from the windows. Before I left there was not a single creak in my car. I searched the forums and found a couple posts that had (have) this issue. I tried the silicone spray, but no luck. I definitely don't think it's the leather. It's most prominent when going over bumps and going around corners.

One of the things I love about this car is the super-quiet interior, but now it's not! :cries:

Any help is appreciated!

JIM

Hello, all!

I'm so glad to be back to these forums. I sold my 99 ES and was using an in-between car (Nissan) for quite a while until I was able to afford my LS430 that I have now...and I love it!

Question:

I recently returned from a 4 week vacation. My car was in a carport the whole time. On my first drive I noticed creaking sounds in the car that appear to be coming from the windows. Before I left there was not a single creak in my car. I searched the forums and found a couple posts that had (have) this issue. I tried the silicone spray, but no luck. I definitely don't think it's the leather. It's most prominent when going over bumps and going around corners.

One of the things I love about this car is the super-quiet interior, but now it's not! :cries:

Any help is appreciated!

JIM

I have an 01 LS and have noticed that if i dont wax the insides of the door posts and keep the rubber on the doors clean that it tends to make a strange noise hope this helpspost-34562-1190926823_thumb.jpg

Hello, all!

Question:

Any help is appreciated!

JIM

I have an 01 LS and have noticed that if i dont wax the insides of the door posts and keep the rubber on the doors clean that it tends to make a strange noise hope this helpspost-34562-1190926823_thumb.jpg

hey dude it looks like your taillights are wearing braces

Hi Jim. The creaking noise from the windows in my '03 LS was definitely a problem for me. The dealer was able to fix the problem at one point, but it eventually came back. I never could figure out what they did to fix it. I tried silicone spray and even some silicone paste (that the dealer provided) on the window seals, but all it did was make a mess. I never tried waxing the paint under the door seals. I guess the noise could have been coming from the door seals, but I always thought the windows were the culprit. What I ended up doing was putting each window down just a tiny bit, which usually helped to eliminate most of the noise. This wouldn't be a problem, unless I was on the freeway, and some wind noise might make it into the cabin.

I'd suggest trying the wax suggestion and see if that works. I guess, for that matter, you could also try applying some way to the top edges of the windows to see if that helps.

Good luck!

Thanks for the tips.

I definitely notice a difference when I lower each of the windows one click each. (Thanks 03whitels430 :rolleyes: )

I will give the wax a try tomorrow morning. Am I actually going to wax the rubber seal, or just the painted areas?

Appreciate the help! :)

JIM

Thanks for the tips.

I definitely notice a difference when I lower each of the windows one click each. (Thanks 03whitels430 :rolleyes: )

I will give the wax a try tomorrow morning. Am I actually going to wax the rubber seal, or just the painted areas?

Appreciate the help! :)

JIM

I'd just wax the painted areas, and maybe the top of the windows (both sides) if that doesn't work.

Let us know how it works.

I had a very similar problem the first winter I had my LS. I mentioned it to the dealer and he confirmed that the door rubber seals can sometimes dry out and rub against the metal; causing the creaking noise when the body flexes over bumps and the doors and body move against each other. The problem seems to appear more quickly if you use an automated car wash vs. washing the car yourself; as the machine uses a lot more soap at higher pressure. Also I've usually noticed the problem appears when the ambient temperature falls below 70 degrees (this probably makes the rubber a little stiffer?).

I hit the door and window seals with a blast of Sonus Total Eclipse and voila, problem solved. I'm sure the Aerospace 303 or any other product would work fine; I'm not sure I'd use silicone as i think it tends to dry out rubber and plastic over time. Don't be afraid to use ALOT of whatever; you may have to apply twice if they are really dry.

I seem to have to do it about once every 8 weeks; depending on how hot it is an how much I drive the car. Make sure you get not only the top part but also the bottom part around the door edge; you'll be surprised how dirty these things get! Also while you're doing it get the sunroof seal as well; it seems to help the wind noise that I sometimes get at high speed. :pirate:

Sonus also makes a gel that supposed to be for rubber trim and other bits; I"m thinking about trying it to see if it lasts longer.

Thanks, jainla...

I just ordered a bottle of the Sonus. Can't wait to give it a try.

So, I should be treating the door seals, as well? The problem is definitely improved when I put the windows down just a tiny bit. That's what makes me think it's the windows. Did you treat the rubber seals up and inside the window, or just the exposed portions?

The car is such a nice and quiet (for the most part :) ) ride that this is so irritating!

One other thing I forgot to note is that while I was gone the car did sit in 100 degree weather for a couple of days. I'm sure that probably had some kind of effect.

Thanks for the help!

Well...here's some good news...the creaking is (almost) completely gone. The only time I heard it on my most recent drive was when I slowy drove around a corner that has a speed dip. Just a slight creak, but SO much better than before.

These are the things I have done (there are several, so I'm not sure exactly which one helped the most):

Day #1

- silicone sprayed all 4 window seals

- applied olive oil (yes, olive oil!) to lubricate the inside crevices that the windows slide up and into when closed

Day #2

- applied more silicone spray to the crevices and the window seals (this is when the creaking started to get better, but the windows were slightly down)

- after reading jainla's post, I applied silicone spray to the rubber around the door frame

- drove to carwash (creaking much improved)

- got car washed and drove home with the windows completely up and...THE CREAKING WAS GONE!!! :) :) :)

Like I said I'm not sure which step made the difference, or if it was a combination of them all. I'm thinking that maybe jainla's tip about treating the rubber around the doors really helped!

Hopefully this will be a long-term fix, but we'll wait and see!

So nice to have my quiet ride back again!

I'm glad that you were successful with getting rid of the creaking noises! I have some Aerospace 303 Protectant, but never used it on the door or window seals. I guess I could try that if my '05 starts making noise. I'm going to look into ordering some of that Sonus Total Eclipse as well. That's why I love this forum...lots of ideas that I never would have thought of! :)

That's good news DobieG. Yes it's irritating to hear such noises when the car is so quiet. I bet the product and the moisture from the wash solved your problem. Re: the remaining noise you also have to get the seals away from the window; on the sides of the door and the bottom as well.

Now that I think about it the sound is probably the two parts of rubber rubbing against each other; but it also could be the doorframe. Whatever; it works.

Usually I just get a couple of paper towels and just SOAK them with the Sonus; then I apply to both the door seal and the integrated rubber/weatherstripping that's between the door and the window (see attached pic). I've found that spraying directly on the parts means you get Sonus all over everything; the seats, the door etc.

I'm wondering if the window close forces the doorframe into a more concave position so the pressure against the door opening is increased? Maybe that's why the sound gets worse?

See attached picture for how I do it...I started to hear the creaking yesterday so it might be time for me to do it again....

:cheers:

post-19665-1191430256_thumb.jpg

Well...here's some good news...the creaking is (almost) completely gone. The only time I heard it on my most recent drive was when I slowy drove around a corner that has a speed dip. Just a slight creak, but SO much better than before.

These are the things I have done (there are several, so I'm not sure exactly which one helped the most):

Day #1

- applied olive oil (yes, olive oil!) to lubricate the inside crevices that the windows slide up and into when closed

Day #2

- applied more silicone spray to the crevices and the window seals (this is when the creaking started to get better, but the windows were slightly down)

- after reading jainla's post, I applied silicone spray to the rubber around the door frame

- got car washed and drove home with the windows completely up and...THE CREAKING WAS GONE!!! :) :) :)

Like I said I'm not sure which step made the difference, or if it was a combination of them all. I'm thinking that maybe jainla's tip about treating the rubber around the doors really helped!

• 1 year later...
That's good news DobieG. Yes it's irritating to hear such noises when the car is so quiet. I bet the product and the moisture from the wash solved your problem. Re: the remaining noise you also have to get the seals away from the window; on the sides of the door and the bottom as well.

Now that I think about it the sound is probably the two parts of rubber rubbing against each other; but it also could be the doorframe. Whatever; it works.

Usually I just get a couple of paper towels and just SOAK them with the Sonus; then I apply to both the door seal and the integrated rubber/weatherstripping that's between the door and the window (see attached pic). I've found that spraying directly on the parts means you get Sonus all over everything; the seats, the door etc.

I'm wondering if the window close forces the doorframe into a more concave position so the pressure against the door opening is increased? Maybe that's why the sound gets worse?

See attached picture for how I do it...I started to hear the creaking yesterday so it might be time for me to do it again....

Day #1

Day #2

I am so thankful to you guys coz my 05 LS430 developed the same creaking sound and it was so annoying. The cabin used to be so quiet but the sanctuary was lost after rear left door/window seemed to be creaking. I bought some silicone spray yesterday and geneously applied to the door rubber and window seals and the creaking is all gone. I am so :) . Now i wonder was it the door or the window or both. I suspect it was the window. Will see if it develops again and try to narrow it down to door or window. Thanks once again.

It is a general recommendation to lubricate the rubber seals on any car door, since they become cracked with heat and usage, U V rays etc. Cris

Day #1

Day #2

I am so thankful to you guys coz my 05 LS430 developed the same creaking sound and it was so annoying. The cabin used to be so quiet but the sanctuary was lost after rear left door/window seemed to be creaking. I bought some silicone spray yesterday and geneously applied to the door rubber and window seals and the creaking is all gone. I am so :) . Now i wonder was it the door or the window or both. I suspect it was the window. Will see if it develops again and try to narrow it down to door or window. Thanks once again.

• 1 month later...
It is a general recommendation to lubricate the rubber seals on any car door, since they become cracked with heat and usage, U V rays etc. Cris

Day #1

Day #2

Hi all,

I just bought an '05 LS 430 and notice that when the car is dry, there is some pretty noticeable popping and creaking coming from around the doors and/or windows. Based on what I read here, I shot the door seals with a dry silicone lubricant last night. It helped some but not completely. I'm going to try the window seals and frames tonight. I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem. Does the Sonus Total Eclipse really help more than anything else? If so, I'll pick up a bottle.

Thanks for your input.

P.S. I just drove the car around at lunch and tried lowering the windows a tiny bit and that indeed made the noise go away almost entirely. So I suspect the rubber window seals. This seems to be what other people are finding, too. What an annoyance.

The Sonus seems to last longer than anything else I've tried..I think the silicone doesn't do as good a job. The Aero 303 is probably just as good.

Day #1

Day #2

Hi all,

I just bought an '05 LS 430 and notice that when the car is dry, there is some pretty noticeable popping and creaking coming from around the doors and/or windows. Based on what I read here, I shot the door seals with a dry silicone lubricant last night. It helped some but not completely. I'm going to try the window seals and frames tonight. I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem. Does the Sonus Total Eclipse really help more than anything else? If so, I'll pick up a bottle.

Thanks for your input.

P.S. I just drove the car around at lunch and tried lowering the windows a tiny bit and that indeed made the noise go away almost entirely. So I suspect the rubber window seals. This seems to be what other people are finding, too. What an annoyance.

Correction: The first stuff I tried yesterday was a teflon spray. That definitely didn't help anything. I just went and bought a $3 can of spray silicone at Napa and it seemed to do the trick. Now just wonder how long it will last. In the meanwhile, I ordered a bottle of the Sonus stuff. Thanks for the ideas, everyone.

Correction: The first stuff I tried yesterday was a teflon spray. That definitely didn't help anything. I just went and bought a $3 can of spray silicone at Napa and it seemed to do the trick. Now just wonder how long it will last. In the meanwhile, I ordered a bottle of the Sonus stuff. Thanks for the ideas, everyone.

i think you will be much happier with the sonus. i tried the silicone spray and wasn't as happy with it.

when using the sonus spray i get about 2 good months of creaky-less driving. :) i live in socal and the drier the weather the creakier the windows. i've got it down to a pretty good/quick appplication now. i use a rag w/ sonus around the door panels and on/around the rubber on the door seals. also, i use a foam-wedge-on-a-stick w/ sonus to get up into where the window sits when its up.

i really love this car and the creakiness is my only complaint - which i can live with. :)

i think you will be much happier with the sonus. i tried the silicone spray and wasn't as happy with it.

when using the sonus spray i get about 2 good months of creaky-less driving. :) i live in socal and the drier the weather the creakier the windows. i've got it down to a pretty good/quick appplication now. i use a rag w/ sonus around the door panels and on/around the rubber on the door seals. also, i use a foam-wedge-on-a-stick w/ sonus to get up into where the window sits when its up.

i really love this car and the creakiness is my only complaint - which i can live with. :)

Yes, so far I'm loving my car too. It really makes a huge difference to have it quiet in the cabin. I do notice some wind noise which may simply be that because the car is so quiet, you kind of hear every little pin drop. I guess the 04s may have had a problem with the windshield, but the whooshing in mine seems to come more from around the front driver door. It makes me wonder if that, combined with the creaks from around the seals, may mean it's time to replace the seals. I wonder if anyone has had success there?

It's possible it could be the sunroof; I've noticed a little bit more noise if I leave the sunshade open vs. leaving it closed.

Based on the reviews I've read a little wind noise is normal; also the lack of engine sound and tire noise I think makes what noise there is sound that much louder.

I just chalk the lubrication up to maintenance like waxing and changing the oil; if that's what it takes to keep the LS running like a top I'm happy to oblige it.

Also cleaning and conditioning the leather is worth the 10 minutes it takes; especially on the steering wheel-- makes a big difference. You'll be amazed how much gunk comes off the wood and the leather when you clean it.

Yes, so far I'm loving my car too. It really makes a huge difference to have it quiet in the cabin. I do notice some wind noise which may simply be that because the car is so quiet, you kind of hear every little pin drop. I guess the 04s may have had a problem with the windshield, but the whooshing in mine seems to come more from around the front driver door. It makes me wonder if that, combined with the creaks from around the seals, may mean it's time to replace the seals. I wonder if anyone has had success there?

• 5 weeks later...

I've had this creaking noise in my '05 LS430 for perhaps 2 yrs; been back to 2 different dealerships on a couple of occasions each. They tried everything and everything worked...for a while, never more than 6-8 weeks. Hasn't anyone written to or called Lexus "home office" to complain about this. A "$65,000" car with creaking windows!!!!

Ted.

I've had this creaking noise in my '05 LS430 for perhaps 2 yrs; been back to 2 different dealerships on a couple of occasions each. They tried everything and everything worked...for a while, never more than 6-8 weeks. Hasn't anyone written to or called Lexus "home office" to complain about this. A "$65,000" car with creaking windows!!!!

Ted.

you must've read my mind!

the other day i emailed customer service and included the link to this thread.

will let you know how they respond.

jim

received this:

Thank you for contacting Lexus Customer Satisfaction. We are dedicated to providing superior service. In circumstances that require our attention, we will assist in the resolution process.

Lexus would like the opportunity to further research your inquiry. I have forwarded your information to a Lexus Department Specialist who will complete a full review and then contact you within three to five business days.

If you require further assistance, please respond to this e-mail, or contact Lexus Customer Satisfaction at 1-800-255-3987, Monday through Friday, 5:00 am to 6:00 pm, or Saturday, 7:00 am to 4:00 pm, Pacific Time.

Sincerely,

Ryan Abenes

Lexus Customer Satisfaction

there is a phone number included in the message above. if anyone wants to call and give their 2 cents, maybe something can be resolved! :)

i LOVE LEXUS!!!!

JIM

• 1 year later...

I just bought an 05 LS430, and the creaking noise was making me crazy. Like others on here, I was convinced it was the windows and I tried everything, even baby powder.

I read this yesterday and applied 303 to all of the seals, and it worked perfectly. I still have the baby powder on my windows so I really think the problem is solved by tackling the seals and not worry about the windows. I went from awful creaking and squeaking to silence.

Thank you for the advice.

• 4 months later...

I am having the same problem with all my doors (creaking when changing direction, going over bumps, etc). I was able to confirm that the creaking is NOT coming from the window frames. At first, I thought it was because I would lower the window slightly and the creaking would go away. But I now have determined that the source of the problem has nothing to do with the windows or their seals. The problem is with the doors seals only. The car has been in 5-7 times to the dealer for this problem and they have not seen this in another car. I even went so far as to have all of the seals replaced ($1,200) and it only solved the problem for a few weeks. As of today, according to my dealer and the Lexus corporate, there isn't a fix.

Here's how I cured it:

I cleaned and waxed all 4 door jams (on the actual body of the car). I then generously applied Sonus to all of the doors seals that come in contact with the car body (the seal that goes all the way around the door and the 2 other seals at the bottom). The creaking is now gone, but I fear that after repeated car washes, rain, etc., I'm going to have to be doing this every few thousand miles.

Driving the car today, I forgot how nice it was to not have the creaking - it had really ruined my view of the car and the whole driving experience. We need a permanent fix - this unacceptable.

My '02 LS430 was perfectly quiet UNTIL I decided to clean and lube the rubber seals around the windows with 303. Immediately after that, the creaking started. It sounds like dry leather creaking. I tried teflon...no good. I still have not fixed it and need to get the Sonus stuff. The local shops do not carry it.

Anyone know the special "sauce" in Sonus?