05' 4runner V8

nc211

Hey guys, I've recently purchased a 2005 4Runner with the 4.7 V8 engine. I assume it's the same engine as in the GX, minus a few silencers here and there. I'm going to change the plugs soon, and would like to clean the PCV valve, as I'm not sure how well it was maintained by the previous owner. It has 52k miles.

Does anyone have instructions on how to do the plugs and PCV valve? It's pretty basic stuff, but I would like to read the instructions first just to make sure I don't miss some sort of special and unique step.

Thanks all! :cheers:

PS: Any pictures of booster line for seafoam into the intake?

Need to change the plugs already? I know on the GX's and LX's V8, the plugs are iridium, recommended changing interval is 120K miles. The 4runner V6 doesn't have iridium plugs, changing interval is something like 30K or 60K mi. Check if your 4runner has the iridium plugs. If so, you're just wasting money changing them this soon. I was under the impression that all the made-in-Japan 2UZ V8's come w/ iridium plugs from the factory. Not sure about domestic-made V8's for the Tundra/Sequoia, though. That said, I'll probably change the plugs on my LX around 90k mi for good measure (maybe better fuel economy than letting the plugs degrade at 120K mi?).

Need to change the plugs already? I know on the GX's and LX's V8, the plugs are iridium, recommended changing interval is 120K miles. The 4runner V6 doesn't have iridium plugs, changing interval is something like 30K or 60K mi. Check if your 4runner has the iridium plugs. If so, you're just wasting money changing them this soon. I was under the impression that all the made-in-Japan 2UZ V8's come w/ iridium plugs from the factory. Not sure about domestic-made V8's for the Tundra/Sequoia, though. That said, I'll probably change the plugs on my LX around 90k mi for good measure (maybe better fuel economy than letting the plugs degrade at 120K mi?).

Hey Jim, yeah they were iridium denso plugs, the originals. But to be honest, they looked pretty bad, I was amazed actually. The previous owner put on 50k miles inside of 15 months time, so it was driven constantly, and judging by the excellent tread on the original tires, was driven in a straight line mostly....highway miles. But upon changing the oil myself, I noticed a black ring of burnt oil around the filler neck, and a few other things that were neglected "diff fluids, transfer case fluids" etc. They basically drove it, pulled in to Jiffy lubes for oil changes, and then sold it. So, being analretentive as I am, I've decided to do the "LS" treatment, which includes a new pcv valve, new plugs, clean the butterfly on the throttle body, etc... mostly preventive stuff. I used NGK iridium platinum arched plugs, with some kind of laser cut to them...the box was neat looking is all I know. For a cost of less than a full tank of gas, got new plugs in there, and it has made a difference in the smoothness of the engine, and a bit smoother power band. I think one of the plugs was going bad due to a hesitation and pulsation feeling under moderate throttle. That has been fixed.

I'm not sold on things that don't require replacement for 100k+ miles, or "lifetime" fluids. To me, anything that explodes 2,000 times a minute, can't honestly perform at top levels for that long. Just doesn't compute in my mind. The tranny on the 4Runner is "sealed" and supposedly has a lifetime fluid in there. Bull-hockey if you ask me. Just like the BMW 3 series with their "lifetime" tranny fluids. Most BMW enthusists and mechanics will tell you that it's a wise move to replace it every 45k miles or so to avoid the dreaded tranny failure later on. I've found the proceedure to replace the tranny fluid in the 4Runner on t4r.org forum, but I hear the fluid ain't cheap.