Valet Key

blake918

I just picked up my valet key, and it is acting rather strangely <_< . The key won't fit in the glove box, but it does, however, open the trunk wonderfully :angry: thus eliminating the purpose of a valet key! It opens the door, starts the car, and does not fit in the inside access door to the trunk in the back seat, but like I said it opens the trunk. If it matters this is on my '94. What gives???

I'm 100% sure it's a valet key...that's why I'm so stumped <_< . It won't open the glove box or ski hole and it does start the car, open doors, and unfortunantly it opens the trunk :angry: . I bought one of those non remote master keys too; that's how I know the one I'm dealing with is a valet. If it does 2 out of the 3 functions of a properly functioning valet key, do I have a problem with my trunk key hole?

Since everything is working properly except the trunk lock I feel that there might be something wrong with the trunk lock itself. I don't know the inner workings of this type lock, but possibly the tumblers are messed up.

Steve, it's black. I'm gonna jump ahead of you here(I think I know what you're getting at)...I think they changed the valets to grey from black somewhere latter down the line, or atleast dare I say for my vintage Lex :lol: doesn't have have grey keys ! Better yet, here's a picture and yall can tell me since you guys know better than I do :blushing: . The left is my remote key, in the middle is the non remote master, and far right is the valet I think.

post-7-1063156342.jpg

That's very strange........When I bought my new '94 ES it came delivered with 2 remote keys and 1 valet key, plus the flat key that you keep in your wallet. They were both black except for the silver colored wallet key.

That's very strange........When I bought my new '94 ES it came delivered with 2 remote keys and 1 valet key, plus the flat key that you keep in your wallet.  They were both black except for the silver colored wallet key.

I'm sure mine was the same way; it's just the poo-poo head I bought my car from only gave me the 2 remote keys and only 1 remote key works properly :angry: . I had to buy the wallet key, valet, and non remote master.

Also, I called Lexus to see what a new remote key would cost, and they told me something like $315 per key plus they want like 1 hour for labor to reprogram the computer thus rendering my other remote key worthless. If I would order the ones off of lexus-parts, would they work with my current remote key, or is Lexus just trying to rob me on parts and service...again :lol: ?

I never got a non-remote master when I originally bought this car. I think that key you have was not original equipment. The price that you were quoted by the dealer was what I've heard they're getting for this replacement. The question I have: Do they replace all the keys for $315 since part of the replacement is for reprogramming the computer? Maybe you could work out a better price with this dealer. I know my dealer is flexible and accommodating.;)

Alan, you're right about the non remote master. I ordered that when I ordered the valet key. The replacement remote key....they told me $315 for 1 key and a seperate reprograming charge that would not only cost me 1-1.5 hours of labor but the guy on the phone also told me that after this reprograming my current remote key would no longer work :( , so I would pretty much have to buy a whole new set of keys for $700-$800, or atleast that was my understanding. I certainly hope I misunderstood; I mean $800 for 2 keys is crazy :wacko:

Well, I dropped by my Lexus dealer and explained the situation to them. They gladly took the key back, but they have to send the old one back first; then, a new one can be made. The parts guy said it would take 6-7 days. I hope the new one works! Thanks as usual for all of the advice :D ; I knew I could count on yall!!!

:cheers:

but the guy on the phone also told me that after this reprograming my current remote key would no longer work  , so I would pretty much have to buy a whole new set of keys for $700-$800, or atleast that was my understanding. I certainly hope I misunderstood; I mean $800 for 2 keys is crazy -->

wait a minute, why would your current remote stop working. am i crazy or does this sound fishy?

wait a minute, why would your current remote stop working.  am i crazy or does this sound fishy?

I think you're crazy; nahh I'm just joking with you ;) :lol: . It sounds more like a scam to me!!! They told me that they would have to reprogram some computer system that would only allow the new keys @$300 a piece to work. Maybe I should try back and talk to different parts rep.

• 3 months later...

Well I finally got this whole situation solved. It was never the fault of the key; it was my lock cylinder. Long story short, I bought 1 of those cool switchblade keys off of ebay and took it to the locksmith the dealer uses to cut their keys. So, after she used some laser machine to cut the switchblade, she went out the the ES to make sure that it worked properly. When she got to the trunk, she said how rough the lock felt when she stuck the key in; of course, I agreed and told her about this problem. She recommended this kind of special lock oil. While I was at the hardware store looking for plastic compound(to clean the inside of the headlights), I found the lock oil stuff. It's called Graphited Lock Oil; it was only like $2.50 too. I sprayed it in the key hole in the trunk, and all of this black fluid came pouring out from under the taillight; I guess trash from the lock cylinder. I worked the lock a little bit with my keys to try and free the little mechanism that the lady at the locksmith's office said. I tried it, and the valet key still worked perfectly on the trunk. However, after driving around a few days, I guess the little mechanism got unstuck, and now my valet key works properly :D :D . I remember a few other people saying that their valet key didn't work right, so hopefully it's the same simple problem I've had.

:cheers:

BTW Alan, your prognosis was right on!