Outside Mirror Tilt Problems

26,000 miles on my 06 GS and they are replacing my mirrors. As I stated earlier in this thread, I had the same problem in my 05 RX. I took my car in for an oil change this weekend and told them about it. They knew the problem immediately and ordered up the parts, should be here Tuesday/Wednesday of next week.

--Duckman

26,000 miles on my 06 GS and they are replacing my mirrors. As I stated earlier in this thread, I had the same problem in my 05 RX. I took my car in for an oil change this weekend and told them about it. They knew the problem immediately and ordered up the parts, should be here Tuesday/Wednesday of next week.

--Duckman

Same story here. The problem came back over the long weekend when I drove down to Atlanta. Told the dealer about it when I got back home and went in for an oil change. He said he'd have the techs look at it - "it could be a mirror problem, or a computer problem". When they were checking me out he told me that it's a mirror problem and that they have ordered two new mirrors - should be in by the end of the week.

Service was done yesterday...and the mirrors both operate as they should. I have decided that I am only going to use the auto tilt feature when necessary, like backing out of a winding driveway or backing into a parking spot, so I can see the lines. For most reverse driving situations, I should not need them to tilt...and hopefully it will save me from having to do this again.

--Duckman

• 10 months later...
I had the same problem with my 06 model. When I complained, no one told me it was a known problem but service immediately offered to replace under warranty --BUT if this is a recurring problem what will happen when there is no more warranty ? Can't Lexus just fix this so we won't keep having the problem?

No--the post is incorrect as it was edited. The first replacement was under warranty. A little over a year later, the mirrors don't work again. There is no warranty. Service knows there is a problem as is apparent from all the forum posts--(not just this string but others too), but goes through an exercise of trying to convince me that driver's side mirrors do not tilt more than 1/4 inch when I know how they performed when they were new. Now there is no warranty. Why can't/won't Lexus go ahead and recall and come up with a fix that won't cost owner's up to $2000 dollars? And why can't Lexus reps just tell us there is a problem rather than suggest that the owner/driver doesn't know what she is talking about when she explains how the mirrors aren't performing? Clearly my complaint is no where near the first that Lexus is aware of.

And this malfunction is dangerous when trying to merge onto busy highways

I had the same problem with my 06 model. When I complained, no one told me it was a known problem but service immediately offered to replace under warranty --BUT if this is a recurring problem what will happen when there is no more warranty ? Can't Lexus just fix this so we won't keep having the problem?

No--the post is incorrect as it was edited. The first replacement was under warranty. A little over a year later, the mirrors don't work again. There is no warranty. Service knows there is a problem as is apparent from all the forum posts--(not just this string but others too), but goes through an exercise of trying to convince me that driver's side mirrors do not tilt more than 1/4 inch when I know how they performed when they were new. Now there is no warranty. Why can't/won't Lexus go ahead and recall and come up with a fix that won't cost owner's up to $2000 dollars? And why can't Lexus reps just tell us there is a problem rather than suggest that the owner/driver doesn't know what she is talking about when she explains how the mirrors aren't performing? Clearly my complaint is no where near the first that Lexus is aware of.

I understand your frustration and dread the day mine stop working because I just passed 50k miles. I must ask though:

How can this malfunction be dangerous when trying to merge onto busy highways? Correct me if I am wrong, the malfunction will cause the mirrors to cease tilting down when the car is placed into reverse. You do not reverse onto a highway. If the mirrors fail to tilt, then wouldn't you just turn off the auto tilt function and set the mirrors to the desired postition and leave them there?

steviej

• 2 weeks later...
I have had to replace SOOOOO many mirrors on newr GS's!!! The problem(and there is a TSB on it) is that grease gets into the connectors and up and down will not work properly. I usually don't see any grease in them, but that is what Lexus tells us. Either way, bring it to a dealer if it is under warrenty, you will get it replaced since that is the only option.

Thanks for the confirmation. I am having the same problem and was usure of the cause. Do I need the TSB # to have this problem repaired?

2. Also I have a problem with water leaking onto the passenger side floor. Can you help with this issue on a GS300 -2006?

I understand your frustration and dread the day mine stop working because I just passed 50k miles. I must ask though:

How can this malfunction be dangerous when trying to merge onto busy highways? Correct me if I am wrong, the malfunction will cause the mirrors to cease tilting down when the car is placed into reverse. You do not reverse onto a highway. If the mirrors fail to tilt, then wouldn't you just turn off the auto tilt function and set the mirrors to the desired postition and leave them there?

steviej

That is a Negatory! It is dangerous because after they tilt down and you get out of reverse, they can (and have) failed to come back up due to an open circuit. By the by, I have take one apart and it was the motor that failed, open circuit.... grease in the connectors... HA! I didn't believe that stuff tey said anyways! Is it common? Not really, pretty low failure rate. Not an epidemic! Also, I have been working for Lexus numerous years (technician) if anyone has any questions they would like answered with a no-bull response, just PM me! I have seen alot of stuff go down, I have solved lots of mysteries, and I can help with unusual problems!

• 2 weeks later...
I have had to replace SOOOOO many mirrors on newr GS's!!! The problem(and there is a TSB on it) is that grease gets into the connectors and up and down will not work properly. I usually don't see any grease in them, but that is what Lexus tells us. Either way, bring it to a dealer if it is under warrenty, you will get it replaced since that is the only option.

Thanks for the confirmation. I am having the same problem and was usure of the cause. Do I need the TSB # to have this problem repaired?

2. Also I have a problem with water leaking onto the passenger side floor. Can you help with this issue on a GS300 -2006?

I already posted on another thread that my mirrows were replaced during warranty and then failed again after 50K. Now I'm stuck with the mirrows being in a fixed position. BTW if you have extended warranty (as I do) they won't be replaced either.

Water in the passenger side. Already had that one too. It is a clog in your AC drain. It took almost a week to get fixed...a no loaner (because according to the representative it was a quick fix)...in addition almost three trips to the dealer to request new carperts after they tried to washed them with no avail due to the heavy staining caused by the leakage. Lexus of west kendall, miami....You'll never see this customer again.

That, together with the rattling noise in the rear window...in the front panel...and the poor quality/easy to break perforated seats (already fixed twice after 50K)...., the freaking VSC light...which was ultimately a defective gas cap (charged 150 for diagnostics + 25 for the cap)...the light beams always pointing down (already charged 85 bucks to level them and only lasted a few days).... are making this car (GS300 06) a complete nightmare....the only good thing I will ever remember....the engine.

• 3 weeks later...

To turn the automatic tilt off, you need to open the control panel which houses the mirror movement buttons. The button that says L and R for the left and right mirror....make sure that no lights are on....meaning no mirror is selected. If L is currently selected, press L again to turn off the light.

When you don't have any mirror selected, they will not automatically tilt down when you go into reverse.

--Duckman

To turn the automatic tilt off, you need to open the control panel which houses the mirror movement buttons. The button that says L and R for the left and right mirror....make sure that no lights are on....meaning no mirror is selected. If L is currently selected, press L again to turn off the light.

When you don't have any mirror selected, they will not automatically tilt down when you go into reverse.

--Duckman

it's that simple? Thanks.