Outside Mirror Tilt Problems

So this week I realized that my driver side outside rear view mirror was tilted down (like it does when you put the car in reverse) even though I was driving on the highway! When I got to work I put the car in park - still no mirror movement. I then put it in reverse - still nothing, and then cycled through the other positions (P, N, D, R), to no avail. I tried to adjust the mirror using the control in the control box. That would allow me to move left or right, but not up or down. Anyone else had this problem?!

When I got home that night, I just pushed the mirror glass with my hand a little - it clicked a few times. I then tried the mirror adjustment and it worked fine - all was good... for a couple of days that is... This morning my passenger side outside rear view mirror (the other one) started doing the same thing. I pushed that as well, but this time, no dice...

If someone has had this issue, or has suggestions, please let me know...

Thanks,

Yash.

• 2 weeks later...
So this week I realized that my driver side outside rear view mirror was tilted down (like it does when you put the car in reverse) even though I was driving on the highway! When I got to work I put the car in park - still no mirror movement. I then put it in reverse - still nothing, and then cycled through the other positions (P, N, D, R), to no avail. I tried to adjust the mirror using the control in the control box. That would allow me to move left or right, but not up or down. Anyone else had this problem?!

When I got home that night, I just pushed the mirror glass with my hand a little - it clicked a few times. I then tried the mirror adjustment and it worked fine - all was good... for a couple of days that is... This morning my passenger side outside rear view mirror (the other one) started doing the same thing. I pushed that as well, but this time, no dice...

Thanks,

Yash.

I had a defective driver side rear view mirror motor replaced at Longo Lexus without question (1 year and 15,000 mi). The dealer close to my house stated

that all it needed was a lube. Two days later the problem was back.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem. It's getting replaced today. If you put light pressure on the top portion of the mirrow while pressing up arrow control, the mirror will begin to move again. Once you get the mirror in place, turn off the reverse tilt so the mirror remains in one position. THen take it in for repairs.

wade

I have had to replace SOOOOO many mirrors on newr GS's!!! The problem(and there is a TSB on it) is that grease gets into the connectors and up and down will not work properly. I usually don't see any grease in them, but that is what Lexus tells us. Either way, bring it to a dealer if it is under warrenty, you will get it replaced since that is the only option.

20090613 I MEANT WARRANTY!! AHHHH!!!! Spelling!

I've had this same problem a couple of times. Usually, man-handling the mirror through a few clicks has gotten mine working correctly also. I think this has happened two or three times. I guess I'll take it in.

What is a TSB?

Is this Lexus code for known defect?

I've had this same problem a couple of times. Usually, man-handling the mirror through a few clicks has gotten mine working correctly also. I think this has happened two or three times. I guess I'll take it in.

What is a TSB?

Is this Lexus code for known defect?

TSB = Technical Service Bulletin. It's not a Lexus acronym, but an industry-wide one. Refers to issues that manufacturers find/acknowledge and publish with the NHTSA (National Highway Transportation Safety Association - I think...)... Anyway, the short of it is that it's a known problem and the manufacturer should take care of it under warranty...

• 4 weeks later...

This problem happened to me too. Had to have the entire mirror replaced under warranty.

PB

Thanks,

Yash.

My previous car was a 2005 RX330. I had to have the drivers side mirror replaced because of a malfunction in the tilt down. In fact, it was having problems again when I decided to trade it in and get my GS. Tilt down mirrors in reverse are a nice idea...but one which appears to be causing more problems than it may be worth.

--Duckman

Thanks,

Yash.

had the problem too when i just bought the car the but dont know why it turn out fine after drove it several times. the best thing u can do just take it to the dealer its covered

My wife called me tonight telling of how her driver's side mirror is stuck in the down position and she can't see. So, thought I'd check this forum out of curiosity. It is a help in determining what the problem could be.

This will be another item added to the list (short one of course) of things for the dealer to take care of at the next service.

Thanks to all for adding value here.

• 3 weeks later...

This is a "known issue" with Lexus. My dealer replaced the mirror motor under warranty.

PB

Thanks,

Yash.

• 3 months later...

I had the same problem with my 06 model. When I complained, no one told me it was a known problem but service immediately offered to replace under warranty --BUT if this is a recurring problem what will happen when there is no more warranty ? Can't Lexus just fix this so we won't keep having the problem?

• 2 weeks later...

Chalk up another to the list. Just had my passenger side mirror replaced because it got stuck in the "down" position. The dealer had obviously seen it before, since he nonchalantly told me it would need to be replaced when I described the issue.

Two of you made mention of the fact that the dealer or service representative acted as if he "had never heard of the problem". In my more than 12 years dealing with Lexus dealers and service departments, that seems to be a fairly standard response, regardless of the problem or how often it is known to occur. My impression is that they (along with the sales representatives) are taught to never admit any flaws related to Lexus cars - certainly no flaws that occur with any degree of regularity. Such admission goes counter to the image of quality that Lexus has (rightly) earned. I imagine the marching orders are handed down from pretty far up the corporate ladder.

I'm even aware of one problem where the dealer service representatives made up an explanation for a problem rather than admit the true cause, since it was a flaw of the new and highly touted LS 460.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not one of the Lexus haters who slip into this forum from time to time. I have driven a Lexus for years and love them. I'm just commenting on what I perceive to be dishonestly and/or lack of disclosure on the part of some company/dealer people, but it doesn't cause me to abandon the cars.

• 1 month later...

Oddly enough, my problem has gone away. Between the time I started the thread and went to the dealer the mirror just started working. I took it to the dealer anyway - they said "well it's working now so there's not really a lot we can do about it". It's been working fine since - knowing my luck, it'll start failing the day after my warranty expires... :)

• 1 month later...

My mirrors worked well at first. 3-4 months ago noticed that the mirrors were never at the proper memory 1 setting. GS350-2007

If I press the memory 1 setting, then shift in reverse and back to drive, the mirrors go down and back up– but not back to the memory 1 position. They also do not go down the same amount every time Even when sitting in park, pushing memory setting 1 multiple times (pausing after each time I press) causes the mirrors to readjust position. They don’t go to the same position each time – slightly off but still off. Sometimes the driver side mirror doesn’t move when I try this. Both mirrors should remain still if I push the setting more than once – at least this is how my previous car worked with the same mirror tilt feature.

Its getting to the point where I need to adjust the mirrors when driving away after reversing – the memory positions don’t work when in drive so it’s a pain to stop and put it in park and hit the memory button.

I know that I can stop the mirrors from going down when reversing but feel that if the mirrors are defective they should be fixed.

Dealership is not helpful – will not repair or even check any parts. They looked at it for 5-10 minutes and the technician made up his mind and started explaining that nothing was wrong. Even the manager said “this could be normal wear” and that he was going to follow the technician’s recommendation. The manager never looked at it. They claim that this problem isn't common on the GS.

I’m curious to know if anyone else experienced this or has any suggestions. The car is less than 1 year old and I thought that this situation would be handled better with a luxury car.

My mirrors worked well at first. 3-4 months ago noticed that the mirrors were never at the proper memory 1 setting. GS350-2007

If I press the memory 1 setting, then shift in reverse and back to drive, the mirrors go down and back up– but not back to the memory 1 position. They also do not go down the same amount every time Even when sitting in park, pushing memory setting 1 multiple times (pausing after each time I press) causes the mirrors to readjust position. They don’t go to the same position each time – slightly off but still off. Sometimes the driver side mirror doesn’t move when I try this. Both mirrors should remain still if I push the setting more than once – at least this is how my previous car worked with the same mirror tilt feature.

I have a similar issue on my one-year-old GS350 with 9,000 miles on the odometer. Dealership has ordered a new driver's side mirror. It is an intermittent problem. The mirror will work fine for a while and then it will occasionally get "stuck" and not tilt down when I shift into reverse. It will, however, when I put it back into drive, tilt up to compensate for the down-tilt it didn't perform when I put it into reverse :angry: leaving me looking at the sky...

That is the only problem I have had with the car this far (much better than my Corvette... :( )

Its getting to the point where I need to adjust the mirrors when driving away after reversing – the memory positions don’t work when in drive so it’s a pain to stop and put it in park and hit the memory button.

I know that I can stop the mirrors from going down when reversing but feel that if the mirrors are defective they should be fixed.

Dealership is not helpful – will not repair or even check any parts. They looked at it for 5-10 minutes and the technician made up his mind and started explaining that nothing was wrong. Even the manager said “this could be normal wear” and that he was going to follow the technician’s recommendation. The manager never looked at it. They claim that this problem isn't common on the GS.

I’m curious to know if anyone else experienced this or has any suggestions. The car is less than 1 year old and I thought that this situation would be handled better with a luxury car.

You are not alone. This was one of my concerns when I recently took my car in for the 10,000 mile check. I'm told there's nothing wrong. It seems strange that it's only the driver side mirror and not the passenger side. My husband is getting annoyed at constantly having to readjust the mirror - maybe they will listen to him when we take it back.