1990 1uz-fe In 1994 Ls400!?

wandawoods

it looks like one of my close friend got taken by a used car lot!

in process of geting the timing belt replaced on his 94 LS400 bought about 1 month ago, the mechanic discovered that the auctual engine in there could be a 1990 1UZ-FE because the vacuum lines layout is consistent with 1990 diagrams obtained from lexus dealer, and it certianly does not match 94 model. aslo a few electrical sockets on the engine do not have anything connected to them. the coolant temp. gauge won't detect temp. ( reading 'cold' even engine is hot) because temp. sensor is entirely missing from the engine!

1. does anyone here know the major physical differences between 90 and 94 1UZ-FE engine?

2. is there any VIN or ID plate on lexus engine itself? or any plate can identify engine manufacturing date?

3. although it was 'sold-as-is', does he have a legal course because how can the dealer 'certify' the actual mileage of a 90 engine in a 94 car?

we are thinking about bringing the car to lexus dealership for engine identification and get a confirmation letter to confront the used car dealer.

any other ideas or recourses in this type of situation?

thanks everyone for any input!

i think engine in the 90-90 models is exaclty the same except some minor modifications. even in 95-97 models the engine is almost the same. you might have an engine from some european toyota model since 1uzfe was used on a wide variety of toyota cars. there should be a number on the engine itself. it should be located on the top front of the engine on the left of the right timing belt cover.

i think engine in the 90-90 models is exaclty the same except some minor modifications. even in 95-97 models the engine is almost the same. you might have an engine from some european toyota model since 1uzfe was used on a wide variety of toyota cars. there should be a number on the engine itself. it should be located on the top front of the engine on the left of the right timing belt cover.

he got 3 vacuum line routing diagrams from lexus dealership, 1st one for 90, 2nd one for 91-92, the 3rd one for 94. the actual routing on his engine matches the one for 90, and is nowhere near the one for 94.

the mechanic thought this one could be from used engine importer who are known to buy used engines from japan. I heard that imported japanese engines don't usually go over over 100K KM (60K miles) because they don't usually keep cars as long as we have due to the congested traffic condition. high-moisture climate and frequent corrosions over there! I DO know that's true in Taiwan. usually cars rarely last over 100K KM even the engine is still good.

this engine does have Lexus emblem on top. does anyone know whether the brand 'Lexus' is sold in japan domestically? or it's just created for export purpose?

no lexus brand in japan, actually Ls400 is called toyota celcior over there and engines have the toyota sign. but its ez to change the sign coz the sign is on external part. not on the engine itself

it looks like it's just a big haha created by my friend's mechanic.

I actually have my friend drove his LS400 next to mine, took top cover off both engines and compare. well they are identical, especially only 2 vacuum lines exist in front of the Lexus emblem which is specific to 94 engine.

the gallery picture uploaded by VBdenny's shows 4 vacuum lines which is specific to his '90 LS400.

thanks for all your helps. at least we know now how to tell the difference beween 90 and 94 engine.....