Remote Control Can Not Close The Trunk?

I've just bought the LS460 last week and found the button on remote control only open the trunk but can not close it?

The Lexus Dealer told me it was designed that way for safety. Is it true?:cries:

No, it is not true unless Lexus values our safety more than the driver of an RX300/330. It is my understanding that the remote will both open and close the hatch on that model. This issue was apparently addressed at a recent Lexus / Lexujs dealer meeting and the dealers were told that's the way it is, nothing will be done. I went to the dealer to purchase the shop manual for the 460 only to find out the manual is now in six volumes priced at $225 per volume. My intention was to route the trigger from the remote to the motor when the trunk was open by using a mercury switch and a relay; the closure button is just a normally open contact that closes when you push the button. The rest of the wires seem to be just for illumination of the button. The problem is that there is about a 1" bundle of wiring that contains the required wires and without a manual you could really mess up a bunch of stuff. Stay with the forum, you are going to discover more similar aggrevations with your 460.

I've just bought the LS460 last week and found the button on remote control only open the trunk but can not close it?

The Lexus Dealer told me it was designed that way for safety. Is it true?:cries:

I was at Taste of Lexus last week in Chicago. I specifically asked for a demo of the trunk. They got the "key" fob and remotely OPENED and CLOSED the trunk without touching it.

Teach

I was at Taste of Lexus last week in Chicago. I specifically asked for a demo of the trunk. They got the "key" fob and remotely OPENED and CLOSED the trunk without touching it.

Teach

That is certainly good news, do you think they were they demoing '08 models?

Teach

That is certainly good news, do you think they were they demoing '08 models?

Sorry, but I couldn't say for sure. Though, I can't imagine that would make any difference.

Thank you Teach and others, I will talk to dealer about this issue; Lexus can not treat the customers like that! :chairshot:

Unfortunately the owners here know a lot more about these cars than most dealers...

I talked to Service Dept. this afternoon; the tech. there confirmed with me that in model LS460 both 2007 and 2008 can not close the trunk with the remote.

Also the map of Navigator still is the map of 2006 and I have to wait untill December so I may have the map updated for my car. :cries:

It's so weird huh?

Unfortunately the owners here know a lot more about these cars than most dealers...

I talked to Service Dept. this afternoon; the tech. there confirmed with me that in model LS460 both 2007 and 2008 can not close the trunk with the remote.

Also the map of Navigator still is the map of 2006 and I have to wait untill December so I may have the map updated for my car. :cries:

It's so weird huh?

Weird is not the word for it. Your Service Dept is either calling me a liar, and/or they don't know what they are talking about. Not only did I, my wife, and another guy watch the trunk close, the other guy actually put his hand in the way of the closing trunk to see what would happen. As soon as it touched his hand, it went back up.

I can't imagine why Lexus would go around the country demonstrating a closing trunk if it is not available as advertised. That certainly would not be a good way to develop a good rapport with customers. Maybe you need to tell your Service Dept. to get on the stick and learn how to program the remote to do what it's supposed to do.

I'll tell you one thing, I'll very likely to be buying an LS 460 WITH the autoclosing trunk once the selling price for the '08s drops a little, and IF it doesn't work, Customer Service will be hearing from me.

Good Luck,

Teach

Weird is not the word for it. Your Service Dept is either calling me a liar, and/or they don't know what they are talking about. Not only did I, my wife, and another guy watch the trunk close, the other guy actually put his hand in the way of the closing trunk to see what would happen. As soon as it touched his hand, it went back up.

I can't imagine why Lexus would go around the country demonstrating a closing trunk if it is not available as advertised. That certainly would not be a good way to develop a good rapport with customers. Maybe you need to tell your Service Dept. to get on the stick and learn how to program the remote to do what it's supposed to do.

I'll tell you one thing, I'll very likely to be buying an LS 460 WITH the autoclosing trunk once the selling price for the '08s drops a little, and IF it doesn't work, Customer Service will be hearing from me.

Good Luck,

Teach

Thank you Teach;

I took my Lexus back from Service Dept. few minutes ago; the trunk still NOT close with remote; the map of navigator still not up to dated - map 2006 for model 2007; the Service consultant told me that they will have the map updated at the end of November or December :(

I bought this LS460 Short base (long base doesn't fit in my garage) at Stevens Creek Lexus Dealer - San Jose (California) with 75K out the door (DMV, documents fee & tax included + etc). It was the car at show room; so the saleman gave me free Gold package upgrade.

I don't know that price is right for you or not but I've saw the LS460 2008 this morning at dealer with about the same price.

The LS460/460L/600hL all cannot close the trunk from the remote. You must push the button on inside the trunk lid, or the switch on the dashboard to close it. The trunk lid has a jam protection feature that will open the trunk if something is in the way.

It's so weird huh?

Nothing can be done about this. The versions are dated a year behind, and the 2007 update doesn't exist yet until December. You have the most up to date map available which is 2006.

The LS460/460L/600hL all cannot close the trunk from the remote. You must push the button on inside the trunk lid, or the switch on the dashboard to close it. The trunk lid has a jam protection feature that will open the trunk if something is in the way.

That's the Service Consultant told me!

I don't see what the big deal is. The point of the SKS system is so you don't have to fool with the fob anyways, push the button on the outside to open and the button on the inside to close. Why would you want to close it from a distance with the fob?

I don't see what the big deal is. The point of the SKS system is so you don't have to fool with the fob anyways, push the button on the outside to open and the button on the inside to close. Why would you want to close it from a distance with the fob?

Well, most of the time when your kids want to get something in the trunk and you feel lazy to walk to outside of the house :chairshot:

Hiting the buttom on the trunk (to close it) is samething like you close it by hand; now I question myself: what's the remote for? :rolleyes:

Dear LTP and others. With the new information posted here, I feel I may owe some of you an apology.

When I first wrote about what I observed at Taste of Lexus I was very confident in what both my wife and I saw. But now I think I know what it might feel like to be a witness testifying at a trial and the lawyers ask me what I saw. I felt VERY confident that I saw the trunk open and close from the remote. But now that people have said it can be closed by a button in the car and/or the trunk...I could not swear that the other guy standing there did NOT push a button in the trunk. I DO recall some mention of the button, but I never actually saw the button and I my wife and I DON'T recall seeing anyone push it. But, IF a lawyer were to ask me is it possible that the other guy DID push the button without me noticing, YES, it IS possible. I'm sorry if I caused any confusion or misinformation. (Of course, as some have suggested, what's the point of auto close if you already are standing by the trunk to push the button?)

With that said, I'd like to throw my 2 cents in regarding the need for a motorized trunk lid. I think most of us can agree that NEED has nothing to do with the concept of using a motor to open OR close a trunk. Since we're actually talking more about luxury and convenience, as long as the remote can open the trunk, and there is an automatic safety reverse if it hits something while closing, there does not appear to be any practical or safety reason why it should not also close the trunk. It doesn't NEED to close by remote, but when all the capability to do it already is built in, why not make that feature available for those who WANT it?

Once again, I apologize for any confusion I may have caused.

Teach

Dear LTP and others. With the new information posted here, I feel I may owe some of you an apology.

When I first wrote about what I observed at Taste of Lexus I was very confident in what both my wife and I saw. But now I think I know what it might feel like to be a witness testifying at a trial and the lawyers ask me what I saw. I felt VERY confident that I saw the trunk open and close from the remote. But now that people have said it can be closed by a button in the car and/or the trunk...I could not swear that the other guy standing there did NOT push a button in the trunk. I DO recall some mention of the button, but I never actually saw the button and I my wife and I DON'T recall seeing anyone push it. But, IF a lawyer were to ask me is it possible that the other guy DID push the button without me noticing, YES, it IS possible. I'm sorry if I caused any confusion or misinformation. (Of course, as some have suggested, what's the point of auto close if you already are standing by the trunk to push the button?)

With that said, I'd like to throw my 2 cents in regarding the need for a motorized trunk lid. I think most of us can agree that NEED has nothing to do with the concept of using a motor to open OR close a trunk. Since we're actually talking more about luxury and convenience, as long as the remote can open the trunk, and there is an automatic safety reverse if it hits something while closing, there does not appear to be any practical or safety reason why it should not also close the trunk. It doesn't NEED to close by remote, but when all the capability to do it already is built in, why not make that feature available for those who WANT it?

Once again, I apologize for any confusion I may have caused.

Teach

Dear Teach,

Please don't feel bad about it. We come here to share our experiences, opinions, and our feelings about our cars and everything could be right or wrong because we are no experts.

However, the best in here is: we all try to help each other, and you really do a good job.

In my mind, I really appreciate all feedbacks from you and others.

Please..... :cheers:

Maybe your LS460 is different from mine. I have no button on the outside to open it and the inside button will not close it. Please describe again to us, how you do this. Thanks

• 3 months later...

There should be a trigger underneath the trim above the license plate that will open the trunk, and there should be a button on the trim inside the trunk lid to close it.

Are you sure about this button above the license plate, beneath the trim? I've been looking for it for 3 months and STILL can't find it!

There should be a trigger underneath the trim above the license plate that will open the trunk, and there should be a button on the trim inside the trunk lid to close it.

Are you sure about this button above the license plate, beneath the trim? I've been looking for it for 3 months and STILL can't find it!

I have the 08 model. My previous vehicle was an 04LS430. On the 04 model the exterior trunk release button was easy to feel and locate on the underside of the upper license plate area. On the 08 model the button is in the upper middle of the plate area but it is disguised by a rubber type cover and doesn't have the feel of a button. It is there. You only need to press the pad. There is a very slight delay once you push it but the vehicle will tone then unlock and slowly ascent. Just give it a sec to start.

John

OK, let's see if I have this right. to OPEN the trunk with the car not running. 1. use the key fob, or 2. use goldplater's pad over the license plate, or 3. push the button on the dashboard or 4. use the key in the cylinder to the right of Goldplaters pad. To CLOSE the trunk, 1. push the utoon inside the trunk lid, or 2. do it manually. With the glove box located lockout engaged, only the key will open it?