Consumer Guide Break Down Of The Es 300

http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/used/re...cfm/id/2055.htm

here is an interesting page

For

Acceleration, Antilock brakes, Ride/handling, Passenger and cargo room

Against

Road noise (ES 250), Automatic-transmission performance (ES 250), Fuel economy, Rear visibility

Toyota made it into the "luxury leagues" in 1990 with the launch of its Lexus division. While the full-size LS 400 received much of the attention, the Lexus showroom also featured an entry-level model, the ES 250. It was a plusher version of the Toyota Camry. Additions to the interior included woodgrain trim and leather seating surfaces. Exterior styling was virtually identical, and so was the powertrain--a 2.5-liter V6 and a choice of either 5-speed manual or 4-speed automatic transmissions. Four-wheel antilock disc brakes and a driver-side airbag came standard.

Year-to-Year Changes

1991 Lexus ES 250/300: The junior Lexus returned virtually unchanged for its sophomore season.

1992 Lexus ES 250/300: Replacing the Lexus ES 250 as the company's lower-priced premium sedan is the ES 300. Still based on the Camry, the ES 300 rides on a 103.1-inch wheelbase and is five inches longer. It also comes equipped with a new 24-valve V6, with horsepower going from 156 to 185 and torque rising from 160 to 195 pound-feet. Both manual and automatic transmissions were offered. And despite its undeniable relationship to the Camry, the ES 300 has different suspension and tires, and weighs 200 pounds more.

1993 Lexus ES 250/300: Virtually unchanged for 1993, the only additions to the entry-level Lexus sedan are a fuel-cap tether and automatic-locking safety-belt retractors.

1994 Lexus ES 250/300: For '94 Lexus provides its ES 300 with a new passenger-side airbag, more convenience features, and a revised 3.0-liter engine that delivers an extra three horsepower--up to 188. With the new engine comes the elimination of the available 5-speed manual transmission.

1995 Lexus ES 250/300: Now the most popular model in the Lexus line, the 1995 ES 300 receives minor styling changes at both the front and rear. These include a new front air intake, standard fog lights, new brake/signal lights, and a shift in the position of the ES 300 badge from the below the taillight to the trunklid.

1996 Lexus ES 250/300: The only significant change for 1996 was the midyear introduction of an exclusive "Coach" edition, equipped with highly distinctive leather trim and a matching set of Coach luggage.

Road Test Evaluation

The ES 250 has a comfortable ride, soaking up bumps with little notice. It also tends to display good control and stability at high speed, while the standard antilock brakes provide strong, safe stops with good control. Tire whine and road noise are intrusive, however. The ES 250 also provides a bright, airy interior with tall windows, which give the driver excellent visibility, though it's hard to see the trunk while backing up. Leg room is generous both front and back, but head room is about average.

More-distinctive styling and a 3.0-liter V6 gave the rebadged ES 300 both the extra size and power it needed. The 300 provides outstanding responsiveness and handling. The same smooth and quiet ride that has become a Lexus hallmark is quite evident in the ES 300. However, body roll is noticeable and the steering is on the light side. While not quite up to full European standards in the suspension or steering departments, the ride and handling should not be an issue with most buyers. Except in straight highway driving, we got under 20 mpg in an ES 300, which demands premium fuel.

On the plus side, the ES 300 offers more passenger space than its compact external dimensions suggest. Leg room and head room are generous, even with the optional sunroof. Drivers enjoy a comfortably upright stance ahead of a tilt steering wheel and an attractive, well-arranged dashboard that mimics the panel design of the big LS 400. Some rear-seat space is sacrificed, however, for the sake of trunk room, which is more than adequate.

Value for the Money

Much more than a glorified Camry, the ES 250/300 helped Lexus maintain a solid image in the luxury car market. Particularly in ES 300 form, this Lexus feels and behaves like the costlier, more luxurious automobile that it is.

Each vehicle report contains one rating table for a representative model. We rate in seven key areas: Performance, Fuel Economy, Ride Comfort, Interior Noise, Passenger Room, Cargo Capacity, and Insurance Costs. These ratings are given taking into account the "world" of vehicles, not a vehicle's standing in a particular class. In the ratings table, "1" is the lowest rating and "5" is the highest rating.

Consumer Guide Road Test Ratings

1995 Lexus ES 300 Ratings

Performance 4

Fuel Economy 2

Ride Quality 4

Quietness 5

Interior Room 4

Cargo Capacity 3

Insurance Costs 1

Total 23

Specifications Lexus ES 250/300 ES 250 4-door sedan Lexus ES 250/300 ES 300 4-door sedan

Wheelbase, in. 102.4 103.1

Overall Length, in. 183.1 187.8

Overall Width, in. 66.9 70.0

Overall Height, in. 53.1 53.9

Curb Weight, lbs. 3164 3362

Cargo Volume, cu. ft. 13.1 14.3

Standard Payload, lbs. -- --

Fuel Capacity, gals. 15.9 18.5

Seating Capacity 5 5

Front Head Room, in. 37.8 37.8

Max. Front Leg Room, in. 42.9 43.5

Rear Head Room, in. 36.6 36.6

Min. Rear Leg Room, in. 32.3 33.1

Specifications Key: NA = not available; "--" = measurement does not exist.

NHTSA Crash Test Results 1996 ES 300 4-door sedan

Crash Test Driver 5

Crash Test Passenger 3

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) tests a vehicle's crashworthiness in front- and side-impact collisions and rates its resistance to rollovers. Their test results suggest the chance of serious injury, while rollover resistance ratings are based on how top heavy the vehicle is and indicate the chance for rollover when the vehicle leaves the roadway. Front crash test numbers indicate: 5 = 10% or less; 4 = 10-20%; 3 = 20-35%; 2 = 35-45%; 1 = More than 45%. Side impact numbers indicate: 5 = 5% or less; 4 = 6-10%; 3 = 11-20%; 2 = 21-25%; 1 = More than 26%. Rollover resistance numbers indicate: 5 = Less than 10%; 4 = 10-20%; 3 = 20-30%; 2 = 30-40%; 1 = More than 40%.

Powertrain Options and Availability

The Lexus ES 250 made its 1990 debut with a 24-valve, DOHC, fuel-injected V6 engine. This was the optional powerplant for the Toyota Camry, and became the only engine offered in the ES 250. It delivered 156 horsepower at 5600 rpm and 160 pound-feet of torque at 4400 rpm. ES 250 buyers could choose from either a 5-speed manual or 4-speed automatic transmission with standard electronic shift controls. With all-new body styling for the ES 300 in 1992 came a new 24-valve, 3.0-liter DOHC V6 capable of delivering 185 horsepower at 5200 rpm and 195 pound-feet of torque at 4400 rpm, with available manual and automatic transmissions. For the 1994 model year, the cast-iron cylinder block is exchanged for an all-aluminum block, which improved both horsepower and torque ratings slightly, to 188 horsepower at 5200 rpm and 203 pound-feet of torque at 4400 rpm. The ES 300's previously standard 5-speed is dropped in favor of a single transmission--an electronic 4-speed automatic with available "normal" and "power" shift modes. Acceleration from the 1992-1996 models is strong and easy. The automatic matches well with the 3.0-liter V6, shifting smoothly and quietly.

Engines Size liters/

cu. in. Horsepower Torque EPA city/hgwy Consumer Guide Observed

dohc V6 2.5 / 153 156 160 5-speed manual: 19/26

4-speed automatic: 19/25

5-speed manual: 22.7

4-speed automatic: --

dohc V6 3.0 / 181 185 195 5-speed manual: 18/24

4-speed automatic: 18/23

5-speed manual: --

4-speed automatic: 19.5

dohc V6 3.0 / 181 188 203 4-speed automatic: 18/24

4-speed automatic: 19.3

Notes: Engine Key: ohv = overhead valve; ohc = overhead camshaft; dohc = dual overhead camshaft; I = inline cylinders; V = cylinders in a V configuration; H = horizontally opposed cylinders; CVT = continuously variable (automatic) transmission; NA = not available; "--" = measurement does not exist.

Trouble Spots lists the many commonly occurring problems for a particular vehicle. In some cases we also give possible manufacturer-suggested solutions. In many instances these trouble spots are Technical Service Bulletins posted by the manufacturer, however we have our own expert looking at additional vehicle problems.

Trouble Spots

Climate control: Because of an intermittent open condition in the temperature-sensor circuit, the ambient-temperature display shows -22 degrees (F) and the climate control misbehaves. The display will not change until the fuse for the air-conditioning control unit is removed briefly. (1990-95)

Engine noise: If a thumping noise comes from the engine during low speeds, it might require a larger main bearing on the No. 1 journal of the crankshaft. (1991)

Fuel gauge: If the fuel gauge is inaccurate, a revised gauge will be installed to stabilize the indicator needle. (1990-92)

Transmission leak: Automatic-transmission fluid may leak from a casting-knock hole or a bolt hole on the A51E transmission. (1994)

Vehicle noise: A new, self-lubricating stabilizer-bar bushing will be installed if the original rear bushings squeak. (ES 300)

Water pump: The water-pump seals may leak. (1994-95

This table lists costs of likely repairs for comparison with other vehicles. The dollar amount includes the cost of the part(s) and labor (based on $50 per hour) for the typical repair without extras or add-ons. Like the pricing information, replacement costs can vary widely depending on region. Expect charges at a new-car dealership to be slightly higher.

Average Replacement Cost

A/C Compressor $905

Alternator $370

Automatic Transmission or Transaxle $1,410

Brakes $195

Clutch, Pressure Plate, Bearing $670

Constant Velocity Joints $700

Exhaust System $555

Radiator $640

Shocks and/or Struts $870

Timing Chain or Belt $190

NHTSA Recall History

1992: Secondary hood-latch mechanism could accumulate dust or debris that would keep the latch from engaging properly. 1994-96: Steering-wheel set nut may not have been sufficiently tightened; could result in vibration and looseness in steering wheel, and ultimately separation.

Get a Free Trade-in Evaluation Zip Code

Prices Good Average Poor

ES 250 $2,700-3,400 $2,100-2,600 $700-800

ES 250 $3,600-4,400 $2,900-3,500 $1,100-1,300

ES 300 $6,000-6,800 $5,200-5,900 $2,500-2,900

ES 300 $7,500-8,500 $6,800-7,700 $3,800-4,300

ES 300 $8,800-9,800 $7,900-8,800 $4,500-5,000

ES 300 $10,300-11,500 $9,300-10,400 $5,500-6,100

ES 300 $11,800-13,000 $10,600-11,700 $6,600-7,300

This chart details a range of average prices in year-by-year listings for vehicles in three condition levels: Good-a clean low-mileage, solid-running vehicle that needs little or no repair. Average-a car with normal miles on the odometer, perhaps a few scrapes or dings; engine might need a minor repair or two, but runs acceptably well. Poor-might have potentially dangerous problems with the engine and/or body, or abnormally high mileage; definitely in need of mechanical attention. Valuations reflect wholesale prices paid by dealers at auction, and retail prices on used-car lots. Each range covers all trim levels and engine types for a vehicle with a typical amount of equipment-usually an automatic transmission, air conditioning, stereo, etc. Fully-loaded vehicles may cost more. Keep in mind that these are guidelines only. Actual selling prices vary-especially from region to region.

Interesting price list there. I paid a heck of a lot less for a CV joint replacement (albeit at a non-Lexus garage), but a heck of a lot more for a new timing belt at 90K miles.

Also, I'm guessing those ratings have 5 as the best (based on quietness being a 5). I'd give the fuel economy a lot better than 2. While the car might not be as miserly on gas as say, a 4-cylinder Camry, compared to other near-luxury and luxury cars, the ES gets pretty decent mileage. Also, if interior room gets a 4 (and if 4 is supposedly better than 3), cargo capacity should be a 4, too. It has a huge trunk for a midsize sedan (I guess you could dock points for having only a ski passthrough instead of a 60/40 folddown seat.)

i am guessing the points for trunk space is because of the stupid high overpass to get into it rather than a normal thigh level one

and the ski boot

how the hell can i get any good bas through that small hole

:lol:

and your welcome h8r proof

i am guessing the points for trunk space is because of the stupid high overpass to get into it rather than a normal thigh level one

and the ski boot

how the hell can i get any good bas through that small hole

:lol:

and your welcome h8r proof

Good point on the high reach to put heavy things in. Even my '94 Camry had a low-cut trunklid for reduced lifting height.

• 8 months later...

I actually prefer the trunk lid on the '92 the way it is . . . the trunks that open at the thigh level are more difficult to get opened and closed (heavier and more awkward). I like the nice, light trunk lid.

But then again, I may be weird :)

Regards,

Bryan

Hey don't blame me

i can't spell remember

but besides that i didn't write this page i only copied it over

it might have meant 11 as in november of 97 -2001 ?

besides this post is from september 8th last year

• 1 month later...

?1994-96: Steering-wheel set nut may not have been sufficiently tightened; could ??result in vibration and looseness in steering wheel, and ultimately separation.

Anyone know what they are talking about? The reason I ask is that something at extreme steering during parking...like someone sitting on leather from under the steering wheel. :(

i had mine check it was just the nut that holds the wheel to the stalk if it comes off the wheel would come off in your hand.

the car has a variable rate steering pump which makes it easy to park

btw

that makes no sense

like someone sitting on leather from under the steering wheel. :(